Kraton Stock motor upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're welcome brother. I'm still waiting for my updated shocks in the mail. I can tell you right now they are better...Lol. 4mm shafts are surprisingly stronger than 3.5s. The new longer springs are improved also from credible sources anyways. Not sure if the pistons, other internals or rod ends are radically improved, but the shafts are a huge upgrade alone. I'm definitely big air testing them the day they arrive if possible. The 5mm GPM shocks I bought I simply can't get the dampening I'm after. Need to find different pistons and maybe try with softer springs. They feel like Frigging pogo sticks:eek::eek::mad:
I have the new Outcast but I don't have anything to base it off of since I don't have any other Arrma cars. I will be waiting for a new vid on your channel!

The diff fluids are all personal preference in the end. The rear is probably the least important of the three in terms of tuning. Remember the front and rear only control left to right wheel diff action not front to back power transfer. Make sure you're truck sits about arm level with the pack in it. It should return to arm level after you drop your rig from 1-2 feet. I'd say experiment with some different setups until your rig feels dialed to your liking. I'm still running 50 weight front with orange Teknos, 40 weight rear with yellow. Waiting for V3 Kraton shocks to arrive shortly. If your front is lifting like mad, consider going 100-200k center diff and dial your punch to around 4-6 if it's say 8-10 now. Having some toe out up front will also help control stability at speed. Lastly, make sure your steering rack, pillow balls, and links are all healthy and same for your tires. Out of control can come from or be exasperated by several factors besides a heavy finger...Lol!!!

I never run smaller than 16 tooth Robinson Racing Extra Hard in any of my Arrmas. Running 18 tooth 6s in my Outcast Hybrid, but it's lighter and running Proline Shockwaves. Just get a temp gun to be safe and check during/after temps. Keep Motor in the happy zone 140-150F range. A wee higher, no problem. 170F plus, getting too toasty.

@Rich Duperbash I think I'm going to toe out the front tires. I think 200k is probably sufficient for the mid. Will also look at the springs. Have you heard great things about the V3 shocks? Hmm.. So when you say "arm level", what do you mean? Thanks

This is a great thread! Rich - keep up the great youtube videos.

I have the newest version of the outcast and ordered some tekno orange springs but by the sound of it the new version springs might already be an upgrade. Is there a way, simple way to test the spring weight in the new springs. I’m wondering if I didn’t need to order those springs.

I have the newest version of the outcast and ordered some tekno orange springs but by the sound of it the new version springs might already be an upgrade. Is there a way, simple way to test the spring weight in the new springs. I’m wondering if I didn’t need to order those springs.
It says the spring rate on the website. The New outcast is on the left and the old one is on the right...
Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 1.43.14 PM.png

@Rich Duperbash I think I'm going to toe out the front tires. I think 200k is probably sufficient for the mid. Will also look at the springs. Have you heard great things about the V3 shocks? Hmm.. So when you say "arm level", what do you mean? Thanks
I mean your A arms sit level with each other from left to right, front and rear. They should look flat from wheel to wheel or parallel with the floor.

Thanks brother. The spring rate should be listed I believe. I'm planning to try the V3 shocks as is first and go from there. Maybe change the oil weight to tune the dampening if need be. I'll experiment with the Teknos if the stocks are too soft perhaps. The feedback has been positive so far at least.

I got the v3 shocks. They are awesome. I did think the new stronger springs were too bouncy for my preference so I put the tekno orange back on. Maybe that is just personal preference though.

Also running 100/200/70 diff oil and that seems to give me really good control on getting the power to the ground.

I got the v3 shocks. They are awesome. I did think the new stronger springs were too bouncy for my preference so I put the tekno orange back on. Maybe that is just personal preference though.

Also running 100/200/70 diff oil and that seems to give me really good control on getting the power to the ground.
Did you buy the V3 standoffs too? I noticed the V2 plastic standoff/shock cap inserts don't fit the V3 shock caps. Appears the V3 cap holes are a tad smaller.

I just broke a tire today driving my outcast, and I was wondering what good tire options are. currently I just have the stock outcast ones. Also, is it smart to drill small holes in the tires to stop ballooning and allow water and dirt to go out of the tire to keep it balanced? Here is a lil video that I put on youtube in about 30 seconds. What tires/foams are you using Rich? https://youtu.be/hwsw1N_L3FY

Last edited:
I just broke a tire today driving my outcast, and I was wondering what good tire options are. currently I just have the stock outcast ones. Also, is it smart to drill small holes in the tires to stop ballooning and allow water and dirt to go out of the tire to keep it balanced? Here is a lil video that I put on youtube in about 30 seconds. What tires/foams are you using Rich? https://youtu.be/hwsw1N_L3FY
DAMN!!! That looked explosive in slo-mo...Lol. I'm still running original Backflips on my Outcast. Venting the tires and covering the rim holes definitely helps them last much longer. Lots of YouTube on this. I'm wondering if you've changed your diff fluid or checked the fluid level? Running too light or too scant in the center diff will cause excessive ballooning up front especially on 6s power. If you want a different tire altogether, Proline Shockwaves are great bashers. They will balloon, but not like MX38s or many other Proline tires. They are lighter and wider and have lots of sidewall cushion for rolls and bad impacts. Running them on my Outcast Hybrid and Tekno MT410.

DAMN!!! That looked explosive in slo-mo...Lol. I'm still running original Backflips on my Outcast. Venting the tires and covering the rim holes definitely helps them last much longer. Lots of YouTube on this. I'm wondering if you've changed your diff fluid or checked the fluid level? Running too light or too scant in the center diff will cause excessive ballooning up front especially on 6s power. If you want a different tire altogether, Proline Shockwaves are great bashers. They will balloon, but not like MX38s or many other Proline tires. They are lighter and wider and have lots of sidewall cushion for rolls and bad impacts. Running them on my Outcast Hybrid and Tekno MT410.
Thanks. I will probably get thicker center fluid since im still running stock. The foams were damp still from running the car in the snow so that definitely didn't help... I will probably go with some stock tires again... thanks for the advice!

Thanks. I will probably get thicker center fluid since im still running stock. The foams were damp still from running the car in the snow so that definitely didn't help... I will probably go with some stock tires again... thanks for the advice!
I forgot to mention to vent your tires with sharpened 3/16" copper tubing chucked in a drill and cover your rims holes with Gorilla tape. Lots of good YouTube on this. Keeps your tires and foams much drier and healthier. Just make 2 holes 180° apart.

I forgot to mention to vent your tires with sharpened 3/16" copper tubing chucked in a drill and cover your rims holes with Gorilla tape. Lots of good YouTube on this. Keeps your tires and foams much drier and healthier. Just make 2 holes 180° apart.

Im assuming the sharpened copper tubing is so you don't rip your tires. Anyways, are you using the stock rims that come with the proline shockwaves? Are they worth the extra $30 compared to the backflips? Also what do you like to use for front/rear diff oil? stock is 10k/100k/10k. Should I just change the center to 200k or do I need to do the front and rear too? Sorry for all the questions...

Last edited:
Im assuming the sharpened copper tubing is so you don't rip your tires. Anyways, are you using the stock rims that come with the proline shockwaves? Are they worth the extra $30 compared to the backflips? Also what do you like to use for front/rear diff oil? stock is 10k/100k/10k. Should I just change the center to 200k or do I need to do the front and rear too? Sorry for all the questions...
No problem bud. I'm running 50/200/20k front to rear in my Kraton. You want the copper sharp to drill a clean hole. It's sorta tricky at times actually. Best to sharpen after each tire and to pull out any rubber that gets left in the tubing. I'm running the premounted Shockwaves as is, just vented. Still prefer the Backflips overall, but the Shockwaves are great bashers, too.

Im assuming the diff oil would be the same for the outcast, right? Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
No problem bud. I'm running 50/200/20k front to rear in my Kraton. You want the copper sharp to drill a clean hole. It's sorta tricky at times actually. Best to sharpen after each tire and to pull out any rubber that gets left in the tubing. I'm running the premounted Shockwaves as is, just vented. Still prefer the Backflips overall, but the Shockwaves are great bashers, too.
I got the tires and the diff oil it works great. I also just sheared the bolt that connects the shock to the shock tower. Do you know where I could get one of those bolts? Also, what do you recommend for shock towers?

I got the tires and the diff oil it works great. I also just sheared the bolt that connects the shock to the shock tower. Do you know where I could get one of those bolts? Also, what do you recommend for shock towers?
Think I missed your last message. I run 50/100/20k front to rear in my Outcast and Truggified Typhon. I've been running Voltage Hobbies towers for sometime now. Think you can still use richduperbash5off coupon code for a small discount. That bolt is a 3x26mm I think??? Just look up the part # to be sure. I've used stainless replacements from Ace hardware, but they break too easily. I'd order more from Tower Hobbies or Amain Hobbies.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back