Stronger CF T2T braces

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greengaunja

Ise da by' dat burns da Senton........
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
  2. Senton 3s
So on a whim, I decided Kratie needed a new T2T brace. I hate red and simply removing the anodizing isn't much to do. So I ordered some HR brace caps and my LHS made a mistake and ordered 2 sets for me. Not a big deal as right then and there I decided the Outcast needed one too and the CF tubes I order come in pairs anyways. So I took both. Then I hit another couple of setbacks.
The Outcast doesn't have T2T brace mounts. This issue was resolved rather cheaply.
Post in thread 'What did you buy today?' https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/what-did-you-buy-today.48/post-1064439
Next up was the supplier I've been using for CF tubes, nor his competitors, had any 10/2 CF tubes. And were not expecting any time soon. That sucked because that's what I used to make the one for my Senton speed runner. Made tapping threads very easy for the HR caps. Best I could was 10/8, meaning an 8mm cavity through the brace, making it weak. So the supplier made a unique(to me) suggestion that I wonder if others know about. Bought a pair of 10/8 CF wrapped tubes and a pair of 8mm carbon rods. It was an extremely tight fit but a small amount of epoxy glue smeared on the rod helped slip it in.
20240320_045102.jpg

Long story short, punched my centre hole mark, drilled and tapped the hole and assembled the caps.
20240320_050431.jpg

Now, I can already hear some guys screaming about the loss of weigh savings so I did a 'lil thing to appease them. And found myself surprised with some of the results.
Kratie's stock brace, aluminum with plastic caps, came in at 7.2 grams. Her new CF tube, along with the carbon rod insert and aluminum caps, comes in at.......5.4 grams. Still almost 2 grams less.
20240320_051637.jpg

As for the Outcast brace, I never had a stock one for comparison. Yet I did have Senton's, which was used to clone the new one and had the same aluminum caps. The Outcast brace came in at 3.6 grams. Senton's, remember everything is the same with length and caps except it's a 10/2 tube, came in at 3.4 grams. I was expecting more of a difference than .2 of a gram. Maybe the weave is heavier?
20240320_051642.jpg

That's awesome! I've got some CF tubes, made some stuff here & there. Nice build, they look great! Didn't know about the solid rods. I'm with you the red, don't much care for it & the T2T CF is much lighter. Cool

That was a brilliant idea by him! And well done by you. I have never tried to put threads into carbon, looks like it works pretty good I have seen quite a few people make them
If the hole is drilled right and you tap by hand slowly it works great. The first one I tapped I put the tap in my drill, set the lowest speed and drilled out the threads I was creating. So I had to hold the set screw in place with epoxy glue. After that I went slow by hand with like 2 turns in 1 turn out and halfway through I removed the tap to blow debris out of the hole. Seems to have worked very well.
20240320_093804.jpg

Even if these threads fail, the brace won't. I drilled the depth exactly 1/2 of the set screw so it can't go in any further and I can tightened or loosen the brace via the other half that goes into the cap.
Links for anyone who wants them:
MECCANIXITY Carbon Fiber Rod, 8mm x 450mm for RC Plane DIY Tool Wing Tube Quadcopter Arm https://a.co/d/6vHuxFT
Arris 330mm 8mm x 10mm x 330mm Matt Surface 3K Roll Wrapped 100% Pure Carbon Fiber Tube for Quadcopter Multicopter (2PCS) … https://a.co/d/9XwaY1K

Honestly, I didn’t know any of carbon T2T’s were threaded. I thought people were just doing friction fits with epoxy.

Honestly, I didn’t know any of carbon T2T’s were threaded. I thought people were just doing friction fits with epoxy.
The first one I did for the Senton was either a 10/6 or 10/8 tube. Point is the inner diameter was larger than the set screw. I used a mixture of epoxy stick and glue to fasten the set screw. It failed as I tightening it up when the set screw pushed into the tube.

What was the cost.?
2 tubes- 26
2 rods- under 20
2 Hot Racing center brace caps set $20 each

So maybe just over $60 for 2 carbon fiber T2T braces. $30 for 1 vs $23.99 for a exb aluminum one.

Prices CAD.

Last edited:
Back