Kraton Swapping BLX185 with EZRUN MAX8

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone for the info. Sorry to hijack the thread. All this makes sense. It’s definitely going to be the max6. Now I just have to decide on 1500kv vs 1700.

If you’re going with a larger motor I’d lean toward the higher kv. You’ll have less top speed vs the stock motor with either. ButFor me the 4092 ran waaaaay cooler but I paired it with yeah racing dual fan. After those 2 upgrades it runs so much cooler.

It did start overheating the lipo and esc. Both were going towards 150*. So now I got and am going to install the max6. Ive seen other members say the 1500kv or so takes your top speed down quite a bit. Lower kv I believe is more torquey but you only need so much torque. The 4092 1730kv backflips my outcast to a ridiculous degree. I can’t imagine the 1500kv. I think most who go too low miss the top speed then gear way up to get the speed back. You won’t be sad with either but I think for your first upgrade motor I’d go run 1730 or so. Just my opinion

Hang on. This has already been discussed, but I'm still sooooo confused. :D Can I run a higher KV motor on an ESC rated for something lower? I mean like a 2200 KV motor on a Hobbywing MAX 6 which recommends to use motors with less than 1500 KV on 6S. I've always stared only at the max Amps without even noticing the KV recommendations...

Look at the motor size they are referring to on those KV limits. Usually they are much bigger motors than what you are actually using. That 1500kv limit is on a 5892 motor. Using a smaller motor size will allow higher kv limits on the esc.

Hang on. This has already been discussed, but I'm still sooooo confused. :D Can I run a higher KV motor on an ESC rated for something lower? I mean like a 2200 KV motor on a Hobbywing MAX 6 which recommends to use motors with less than 1500 KV on 6S. I've always stared only at the max Amps without even noticing the KV recommendations...

There are many factors at play. Amps are probably the best measure. Amps are from drawing current. If you try and draw more electricity than the system can handle you get heat. A toaster uses this to force current through a poor conductor of electricity to heat up red hot. So If you keep your system below the amp draw it can handle I’d say all else is fine.

Problem is it’s too little info to only look at the kv of the motor. As Jerry has explained (see this thread seriously he taught me a ton: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/what-is-kv.680/#post-71892 )

A better measure of a motor is the watts it produces. So let’s say the stock motor is a 4074 (40mm diameter 74mm long) an upgrade motor is 4092 it’s larger, has a greater surface area of magnets and will make more power. The windings (kv) is kinda the speed of the motor. So most users are switching to a larger can size motor with lower windings and getting lower temps. Since it’s a more powerful motor in watts it can produce a similar effect with less stress and heat.

As an extreme think of one of the losi micro cars. 1/36 scale. They have something like 10,000 kv motor. That’d be great in our arrmas right? I mean it’s 10,000kv and stock is only 2,050kv. It wouldn’t even move it. The size of the magnets inside are tiny so it makes tiny power. Same concept. A 1/5 scale motor is even bigger than what most use in their arrmas. So when the max 6 says less than 1500kv they’re talking within a range of 1/6th scale motors. An example is above. The motor I linked from rcjuice was a 1/5th scale and made 5200 Watts. That would pose an issue if it was above 1500kv. A motor for our arrmas like say the stock motor is 4074 size and prob draws much less watts.

Hope that helps make sense of it. I’m trying to understand it still myself.

Hope that helps make sense of it. I’m trying to understand it still myself.

Everything helps when dealing with a complicated thing like this. :) I do like RC because it has soooooo many different things that you can never know EVERYTHING and you're constantly learning. I mean, I've been into RC since ~2003, have owned many cars, helis and built four quads, but I've never really gotten into car motors, and I've only ran stock motors on them. Time to study some more. Thanks! :)

Holy thread resurrection Batman..!!??

If I had a brand new Max8 combo just sitting in my cupboard doing nothing other than collecting dust, would it be worth putting in my new V4 Kraton..??

Holy thread resurrection Batman..!!??

If I had a brand new Max8 combo just sitting in my cupboard doing nothing other than collecting dust, would it be worth putting in my new V4 Kraton..??
I'd say yes. Then bump the BEC to 7.2v.?

well in the newer kraton v5, the blx185 is preset to 7.4v for the bec
1616634336857896422862.jpg

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back