Tear/cut in Minokawa Tire. Seeking Repair Recommendations.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramjet

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
When running Kraton with 6S and speed runs on the beach, I may have run over something sharp. With stock everything, tires were ballooning like crazy (of course). Suddenly, about 1/2 of the foam insert was ejected from a tear/cut in the tire. The cut is a 1/2 inch, straight, fairly clean cut, that you can't see unless you pinch the tire like I did in the picture.

Can this be repaired? If so, how to repair?

Attachments

• punctured tire.jpg
    punctured tire.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
The only thing that comes to mind is stitching with some strong stuff. I'd like see the end result & durability report if going by that route!

Why not leave it? I cut two slits in all my tires 180 apart to let the water spin out while driving. Have about 15 packs through them with no problem.

Tire Glue will work on something that small

Use glue and it will last a while. I'e had good success with this stuff, glued spots worse than yours and still running the tires on 6s.

Thanks for the advice! Now, for tire foam replacement. The foam broke up and I was only able to find 3/4 of it. Where is the best place to get a new tire foam insert for the stock Minokawa tire?

Why not leave it? I cut two slits in all my tires 180 apart to let the water spin out while driving. Have about 15 packs through them with no problem.
If I leave it, won't the foam insert eventually work it's way out again, just like it did when I was doing speed runs?

If I leave it, won't the foam insert eventually work it's way out again, just like it did when I was doing speed runs?

I very new to rc so I may not have the best advice lol. I did this on an Outcast (not sure if that makes a difference) and haven’t had any foam blow out or negative effects.

The most bash-proof solution I've done is to use the black/orange rubber tube patch on the inside of the tire with Starbond KBL-500. KBL-500 is a CA super glue with rubber particles. It dries super strong & flexible. I've used it to patch up mx38s with a rip right in the seem just like that. One application has held up to the rear tire abuse my Outcast can give it.

When running Kraton with 6S and speed runs on the beach, I may have run over something sharp. With stock everything, tires were ballooning like crazy (of course). Suddenly, about 1/2 of the foam insert was ejected from a tear/cut in the tire. The cut is a 1/2 inch, straight, fairly clean cut, that you can't see unless you pinch the tire like I did in the picture.

Can this be repaired? If so, how to repair?

I see a few guys using braid to wrap around their tyres to lessen ballooning perhaps you could use that idea?

Tower Hobbies has discontinued the foam inserts for the Kraton stock Minokawa tires and I can't find those foam inserts (part AR530050) anywhere in the US. Anyone have any suggestions on a possible substitution?

Hey Ramjet!
I'm quite new to hobby rc's especially the power!!

Anyway, I blew a tire on my Outcast.
By blew, I mean there was a split across the sidewall...
I used a large sewing needle, and some strong fishing line...
Thick black braided stuff...

I just used a screwdriver handle for a thimble to push the needle through.
I didn't have tire glue that wasn't hard concrete, so I used black RTV silicone.
I just smeared it on the sidewall and over the sewn part.
RTV stands for Room Temperature Vulcanizing, and it's been holding up...

I did drill some holes to let water out...
I drilled them in the middle of the tread, not very big, so centrifugal force lets the water out
while the tires are spinning.

As far as foam...
And other parts...
Don't think you have to have precut exact foam...
It's just some filler to keep the tire shape...
Whoever sells it cuts it off of a big roll & charges you for it!
Just cut apart an old pillow, or seat cushion, or be even more creative!
Think of all the servos you can buy if you save on tire foam!!

Well, good luck with your RC!
RJP

Hey RamJet...
I didn't want to steer you wrong...
It's nice to find the correct parts...!

I guess I was just thinking back to what I do...
I just don't feel like driving into the city too much...
And sometimes just work with what I have sitting around...

Anyway,
Happy Wheeling!
RJP

Wow this just happened to my brand new kraton on 6s. Ran it for 15 min. I emailed arrma support. Would like 1 replacement tire we will see what they say.

Wow this just happened to my brand new kraton on 6s. Ran it for 15 min. I emailed arrma support. Would like 1 replacement tire we will see what they say.

Hey bud!
Just sew it up if possible...
It worked for a long time on my Outcast...
I don't see the picture, but my tire split for a couple inches on the sidewall, near the bead.
I used heavy black fishing line...
It may keep you blasting maybe???

As far as warranty, I'm not sure about tires...
But my experience with the warranty dept so far has been awesome!
They were very helpful, & understanding.
The replacement parts are not here yet but should be soon...
So, hopefully not jinxing myself!

Never hurts to ask anyway!
Good luck with your new truck!
I'm not on the forum very often, but welcome to the ArrmaForum!
I've met some great people, and gotten a lot of advice, even good advice!
RJP

Ramjet, I have used CA to carefully repair a torn tire. Not for a permanent fix but to get by until a replacement could arrive. You would be well served to take Megasty's advice, As he wears that blue banner for a reason. As far as foams go, they need to be round like a doughnut and in one piece. You cannot just insert random pieces or use one that is broken in half. It will move around and wad up in the tire creating a seriously out of balance tire. It will make your rig extremely unstable at speed along with wearing out suspension parts due to the vibration. It could also lead to another tire failure due to too much centrifugal force putting pressure on one spot in the tire. Many of us balance our tires. Yes, DBoots foam is crap and they would rather sell you new tires than foams.

Hey bud!
Just sew it up if possible...
It worked for a long time on my Outcast...
I don't see the picture, but my tire split for a couple inches on the sidewall, near the bead.
I used heavy black fishing line...
It may keep you blasting maybe???

As far as warranty, I'm not sure about tires...
But my experience with the warranty dept so far has been awesome!
They were very helpful, & understanding.
The replacement parts are not here yet but should be soon...
So, hopefully not jinxing myself!

Never hurts to ask anyway!
Good luck with your new truck!
I'm not on the forum very often, but welcome to the ArrmaForum!
I've met some great people, and gotten a lot of advice, even good advice!
RJP
Thanks for the warm welcome my friend! I do love my arrma kraton! Hoping to meet some great people in the rc world!

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back