Testing 2.5mm and 5mm width rubber O rings on MX 2.8 Badlands. 90mm Inside diameter w/video

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are the 95mm OD x 91mm ID x 2mm thick rings I used for a short time. But I ended up not caring about the ballooning as I’m only running these on 4S and on the Granite, which I don’t really speed run or anything. I never got to gluing them either. Maybe I will give them another shot.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N3UQAF8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_svgsEbAYXBB1W

I was talking ID. I will double check my measurements and get some photos.

Last edited:
Maybe my 95 ID x 3mm orings are not too tight. After watching your original video again @Notorious J I can see your tyres look deformed as mine. Slightly pulled in. Makes the tyre a bit flat. May take some of its cushioning effect away when landing jumps.?? But they may stretch over time.
Anyway my measurements were correct. I was second guessing myself.

Inside diameter 95mm x cross section (width) 3mm:
20200216_074454.jpg
20200216_074525.jpg

With one oring fitted:
20200216_080207.jpg

Two orings fitted:
20200216_080228.jpg

Compared with no orings:
20200216_080256.jpg

What's your thoughts? Too tight?

Maybe my 95 ID x 3mm orings are not too tight. After watching your original video again @Notorious J I can see your tyres look deformed as mine. Slightly pulled in. Makes the tyre a bit flat. May take some of its cushioning effect away when landing jumps.?? But they may stretch over time.
Anyway my measurements were correct. I was second guessing myself.

Inside diameter 95mm x cross section (width) 3mm:
View attachment 65594 View attachment 65595

With one oring fitted:
View attachment 65597

Two orings fitted:
View attachment 65598

Compared with no orings:
View attachment 65599

What's your thoughts? Too tight?
That actually looks perfect to me. That squared off profile means your getting the most traction out of the tire. I think my 2.5 x 90 are just thin enough to not be constricting, but those 3 x 95 seem right on point. Remember, the end goal is to prevent ballooning, so snug will not be an issue. Wish there was a tire chart available that showed the proper id for a variety of tires.
I’m going with the 2.5mm x 90mm’s.

I can get 10 for $11.50 off McMaster. Anyone have a better option?
I think this would be a great start. The whole idea here is to find an option easier than using fishing line or kevlar string. The o ring set up is quick and easy. I really wish I had more run time with the setup. It's just not Typhon season at the moment.

That actually looks perfect to me. That squared off profile means your getting the most traction out of the tire. I think my 2.5 x 90 are just thin enough to not be constricting, but those 3 x 95 seem right on point. Remember, the end goal I'd to prevent ballooning, so snug will not be an issue. Wish there was a tire chart available that showed the proper id for a variety of tires.

Ok I'll run them. I was more worried about damaging the foam inside if too tight.
I'll try without glue first and if I'm happy I'll make it permanent. Thanks for your input. ?

Took me Rocky out with orings fitted for a test run. As soon as I went full throttle it flung 2 orings, so gluing them is a must. Night and day difference though. As soon as I lost an oring, the tyre ballooned like a Frisbee. Soooo..... what glue do you recommend to hold them in place. CA glue or shoe goo or tyre glue?

I just ordered these 97.5 mm 2.65 mm https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X9DMN78/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.
And https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018MV8T92/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
tire glue.
My goal is to keep front end down better with the monster fusion body, it lifts and then cartwheels when you let off way to easily.
Edit
I ordered the 97.5s before seeing the posts about smaller sizes used by some. I am ok with some stretch as the tires add suspension in landings.

Last edited:
Took me Rocky out with orings fitted for a test run. As soon as I went full throttle it flung 2 orings, so gluing them is a must. Night and day difference though. As soon as I lost an oring, the tyre ballooned like a Frisbee. Soooo..... what glue do you recommend to hold them in place. CA glue or shoe goo or tyre glue?
A put a drop of CA at each lug where the rings touched. If an o ring breaks, a quick pass with a wire wheel on the Dremel would easily clean it up so a new one could be installed.

Well 97.5mm x 2.65 mm didn't work, at least the ones I got. Orings on the right side of pic. Can't really tell any difference.
I think they need to be tight on install to have any effect. The 90mm id might seem like they compress the tire a bit, but since these are rubber, you know they will expand with the tire. When using fishing line or kevlar string, you only have to wrap normally, as there is no possibility of expansion. Rubber o rings is a whole different game.

Last edited:
Alright guys. I just ordered 110mm ID x 3mm to try out.

I also grabbed some dimesions. I used my braided line to measure the circumference and then got the OD from that.

Here is where I measured.

MX Buggy
926AA37F-DB8B-4EE1-8963-4E5603587504.jpeg

MX2.8
6AB562A1-9A3D-47D2-A193-3E07BAF4FE6D.jpeg

FD525D6B-A928-4BFF-8C89-A345C11CCB8C.jpeg

How do they fit if you press down on the suspension squishing the tires? Now that I’m thinking it through again I think they will be too.

I just called McMaster and changed them to 99mm x 3mm. These are even cheaper.

https://www.mcmaster.com/1302n565

Last edited:
Someone told me the other day that proline are releasing belted 2.8” MX Badlands, so hopefully they won’t balloon ? and then we can all stop wasting our time trying to stop the standard ones ballooning ??

It’s true, here you go...?

9594E1A8-3309-4D1B-AEF5-8F15D1950A4C.jpeg

Someone told me the other day that proline are releasing belted 2.8” MX Badlands, so hopefully they won’t balloon ? and then we can all stop wasting our time trying to stop the standard ones ballooning ??

It’s true, here you go...?

View attachment 66567
I’m just worried they will be as heavy as the Belted Trenchers I had. I didn’t care for them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back