Tires for kraton 8s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the stock tires since they provide a good amount of traction offroad, feel good while jumping and are not too heavy. Can't speak for other tires though, but I'm sure other guys on here that run the big badlands or some bigger louise tires will chime in.

Any recommendations for off-road tired.. mostly rocky roads but mostly dirt an lose gravel.
DuraTrax lockup x 24mm tires. Intended for the xmaxx (I have two sets of these). $100 for 4! They are belted too. Someone mentioned that a few folks are using them on their Kraton 8s. I've had very good experience with them so far ?

I have the Lockup X's on mine, and love them. I'd like to try the DuraTrax Hatchets in the future, I always have traction issues...

Proline masher X HP's all day long. Light and belted....some say they are hard to find but they are out there. Yea they are about $200, but I spent that on 2 sets of duratrax wheels. I've gone thru 2 sets of durtrax wheels (Lockups and Sixpacks)....absolute garbage imo....blew out both sets in a matter of 6 runs. Unglued, and once that happens, I feel they aren't the same. I don't mind maintenance on my car but having to check and re-glue tires to wheels is a drag especially mid run...I'd rather spend my time on other things, but to each his own.. Otherwise I'd roll the Backflips. Copperhead 2s are alright also, but if you want something reliable, the Masher Xs are worth the $$. These 8s rigs are expensive. Parts go along with it. The way I look at it is is that say, if you owned a McLaren 720s or any super car and you want new wheels and tires. You aren't going to buy the tire rack $1000 enkei wheel and nankang tire combo for it. No you go HRE with Michelin Sport Cup 2s.

Proline masher X HP's all day long. Light and belted....some say they are hard to find but they are out there. Yea they are about $200, but I spent that on 2 sets of duratrax wheels. I've gone thru 2 sets of durtrax wheels (Lockups and Sixpacks)....absolute garbage imo....blew out both sets in a matter of 6 runs. Unglued, and once that happens, I feel they aren't the same. I don't mind maintenance on my car but having to check and re-glue tires to wheels is a drag especially mid run...I'd rather spend my time on other things, but to each his own.. Otherwise I'd roll the Backflips. Copperhead 2s are alright also, but if you want something reliable, the Masher Xs are worth the $$. These 8s rigs are expensive. Parts go along with it. The way I look at it is is that say, if you owned a McLaren 720s or any super car and you want new wheels and tires. You aren't going to buy the tire rack $1000 enkei wheel and nankang tire combo for it. No you go HRE with Michelin Sport Cup 2s.
I agree with the regluing of the Duratrax. I have to almost do it after every run. I'm going to take a look at this proline tires.
What do you think about this review of those tires that you mentioned? :

Screenshot_20210924-092509_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I gave up on Duratrax lockup tires a long time ago. I had them on my X Maxx, although they were great when they held together, they blew apart almost every run just like what people are saying here. They don’t seem glued very well, it became a full-time job re-gluing various tires, and God forbid they get a little wet they were toast.

In my opinion not a very durable tire people say oh they’re only $100 for a set but of course you keep buying sets it gets pretty expensive real quick I’ve since moved on to beadlock tires for the X max

For my Kraton I’m trying backflips they seem to be nice so far.

I gave up on Duratrax lockup tires a long time ago. I had them on my X Maxx, although they were great when they held together, they blew apart almost every run just like what people are saying here. They don’t seem glued very well, it became a full-time job re-gluing various tires, and God forbid they get a little wet they were toast.

In my opinion not a very durable tire people say oh they’re only $100 for a set but of course you keep buying sets it gets pretty expensive real quick I’ve since moved on to beadlock tires for the X max

For my Kraton I’m trying backflips they seem to be nice so far.
Are you talking about the proline badlands 4.3 for the Xmaxx? I tried those, but I felt that my X-Maxx would break too much with those tires as they have no give. Too hard and heavy
I went ahead and ordered a set of these tires anyways 🤣. Edit, after some more reviews, people say that these tires didn't grip well on wet dirt and loose gravel. I'm going to cancel my order. It's the chevron pattern that is probably causing the trouble. They should have used the badland style of pattern TBH

Last edited:
Chevron Type treaded tires are for slower Big Foot type Monster Truck rigs. Losi LMT stuff. Where it was a thing.
Not for bashing.;)
Many who have them will reverse the Chevron to gain a "Bit" more bite. Like I have tried in the past. No Chevron treaded tires for me.:cool:
Like stated above, a Badland style/ Backflip type tread is best. (Arrma copied it) A Motocross tread design. Works best.

Are you talking about the proline badlands 4.3 for the Xmaxx? I tried those, but I felt that my X-Maxx would break too much with those tires as they have no give. Too hard and heavy

I went ahead and ordered a set of these tires anyways 🤣. Edit, after some more reviews, people say that these tires didn't grip well on wet dirt and loose gravel. I'm going to cancel my order. It's the chevron pattern that is probably causing the trouble. They should have used the badland style of pattern TBH
I am actually talking about trenchers. (Beadlock 4.3)

I agree the Badlands are great tires but way too stiff and not enough tire to rim ratio.

Now on the other hand the trenchers, which I am currently running on the X Maxx, are great. Though they are quite heavy, they are really big and soft. They almost act as a secondary Suspension upon impact for all around bashing I think they’re the best thing out there so far. Also bealocked just like the badlands.

I agree the Badlands are great tires but way too stiff and not enough tire to rim ratio.

Now on the other hand the trenchers, which I am currently running on the X Maxx, are great. Though they are quite heavy, they are really big and soft. They almost act as a secondary Suspension upon impact for all around bashing I think they’re the best thing out there so far. Also bealocked just like the badlands.
I second that opinion, the trenchers are big and heavy, balloon quite a bit, but allow for great in-air control and are great for jumping / big air in general. I have not taken them off my kraton since I got them. Here's an old vid of mine doing double backflips with them:
(Running Max5 combo with the 800kv 56113 and 44/47 gearing)

Ah OK. Cool. That's what I liked about the EXB K8S tires, until one of them became unglued and it fell apart. I think that I might just get those trenchers for my Outcast 8s. Thanks for the feedback 👍

I just ordered a set of trenchers for my Outcast 8s. I have the special stepper drill to make the center hole bigger. I'll probably use them on my X-Maxx too. They were very expensive.
I second that opinion, the trenchers are big and heavy, balloon quite a bit, but allow for great in-air control and are great for jumping / big air in general. I have not taken them off my kraton since I got them. Here's an old vid of mine doing double backflips with them:
(Running Max5 combo with the 800kv 56113 and 44/47 gearing)
I remember watching that video 👍. I also get double backflips with my Arrma 8s rigs with the XLX2 and 1100kv motors on my small ramps. I go top speed to achieve that 🤣🚀👍

I just ordered a set of trenchers for my Outcast 8s. I have the special stepper drill to make the center hole bigger. I'll probably use them on my X-Maxx too. They were very expensive.

I remember watching that video 👍. I also get double backflips with my Arrma 8s rigs with the XLX2 and 1100kv motors on my small ramps. I go top speed to achieve that 🤣🚀👍
A man of action 👍
Looking forward to see how you like them 😃

A man of action 👍
I'm just a bit worried about the weight of of these giant tires. But I do like the fact that you never have to be regluing your tires after like almost every run. The weight worries me about more stuff breaking, but I know that they are very soft.

A man of action 👍
I had to make the hole bigger in the middle and had to cut out the fake little lugs in the middle in order for me to use the big GPM hub nut. It came out great. I took pictures of the Stock O8S, EXB K8S tires, DuraTrax Lockups and powerhobby XL tires for size comparisons.

20211001_185331.jpg
20211001_185324.jpg
20211001_185317.jpg
20211001_184631.jpg
20211001_184303.jpg
20211001_120529.jpg
20211001_120244.jpg
20211001_120507.jpg
20211001_120218.jpg

I had to make the hole bigger in the middle and had to cut out the fake little lugs in the middle in order for me to use the big GPM hub nut. It came out great. I took pictures of the Stock O8S, EXB K8S tires, DuraTrax Lockups and powerhobby XL tires for size comparisons.

View attachment 172046View attachment 172047View attachment 172048View attachment 172049View attachment 172050View attachment 172051View attachment 172052View attachment 172053View attachment 172054
Yup, the drilling is necessary.. I left the little lugs on since I'm running the stock wheel nuts.. those wheels are just massive 😁

They sure look mean on that outcast 😀👍👍

I only have the comparison to the OG copperheads from the v1 kraton 8s, backing up your comparison.
20200616_100357.jpg

View attachment 172046View attachment 172047View attachment 172048View attachment 172049View attachment 172050View attachment 172051View attachment 172052View attachment 172053View attachment 172054
Those trenchers are massive, old post but how would you rate these today? Thinking for my k8s exb set up xlx2/1100kv 30/39.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back