Big Rock Tires/Wheels Suggestion For Big Rock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basher27

Reaction score
I'm not wild on the stock wheels and tires for the big rock. Anyone out there switch to something they really like? I run on street and dirt/ grass. Thinking about the granite tires? Thanks

I swapped my stock big rock tires for the proline 2.8 mashers and put the 17mm hexes instead of the 12mm that come with it. I also added the 17mm m2c hub extenders.

Many other tires will require you to switch to 12mm or 17mm hexes. The Granite tires are an easy swap because they come with the 14mm hexes. They're also good all around tires for street, dirt and grass. They provide a nice balance of grip, slide and durability.

MX28's are the best for high traction in dirt. But that can make them less than ideal for street and grass. They will wear down faster on the street than Granite tires (or Trenchers). On grass, the high traction results in lots of traction roll.

I have the MX28's. On dirt they're the best. On grass they get great straight line traction for ramp jumps. But I have to be really slow and careful when turning on grass to avoid traction rolls. I also have a set of Trenchers. Like the Granite tires, they slide more than MX28's when turning on grass. For general ripping around in grass, sliding turns with the Trenchers is much more fun than slow careful turns with the MX28's.

Last edited:
Another vote for Granite tyres. Theyre much better for jumping and air control than the stock Ragnaroks.
(Theyre that good that Im thinking of getting another set for my daughter's Vorteks, even tho the purists will tell me off.)

I have heard the best tires for the 3s line, in general, are the MX28 Badlands 2.8 NON BELTED.
Theyre very popular heareabouts. Only downsides to them as I understand it :
a) Theyre more expensive than Granite Fortress wheels, especially when you get the Fortress from a Breakers like Jennys or Badtouch, here in the UK
b) They only come in 12mm and 17mm so you need a converter
c) They arent vented so if thats important, it needs doing "manually"

The sum of all those was the reason I went with the Fortress tyres in the end but I do believe the Badlands are even better, off road.

a) Theyre more expensive than Granite Fortress wheels, especially when you get the Fortress from a Breakers like Jennys or Badtouch, here in the UK

The sum of all those was the reason I went with the Fortress tyres in the end but I do believe the Badlands are even better, off road.
That's true. In that case, the Fortress are a better choice. Just be careful on the street as you can easily rip the Fortress's open.

I believe if you buy the Badlands wheel/tyre combo now, they are supplied with 12/14/17mm adapters, and the wheels are vented

Many other tires will require you to switch to 12mm or 17mm hexes. The Granite tires are an easy swap because they come with the 14mm hexes. They're also good all around tires for street, dirt and grass. They provide a nice balance of grip, slide and durability.

MX28's are the best for high traction in dirt. But that can make them less than ideal for street and grass. They will wear down faster on the street than Granite tires (or Trenchers). On grass, the high traction results in lots of traction roll.

I have the MX28's. On dirt they're the best. On grass they get great straight line traction for ramp jumps. But I have to be really slow and careful when turning on grass to avoid traction rolls. I also have a set of Trenchers. Like the Granite tires, they slide more than MX28's when turning on grass. For general ripping around in grass, sliding turns with the Trenchers is much more fun than slow careful turns with the MX28's.

Finding the same out now leaving the MX28 to the belted Trenchers....love the NO ballooning and full traction at full speed with that means yep it bits more in turns in the grass and can roll...

The grass is not my bash area it's the dirt...and the little spit it provides for the dirt with traction as you said is much more fun in the dirt, offroad etc. I like the slip not a wheelie person so means now the front end stays down more....than with the MX28. I was about the adjust my slipper hate wheelie or pop-up now perfect I don't need too...

And the balloon even with venting..... I used o-rings two on each tire to hold it back some....but did little to help... But they did grip nicely...

The Granite tires will start to spider crack and wear down within a few months of constant every or every other weekend bashing....at least mine did lol But they are much cheaper than Badlands and you don't need adapters to make em work.

I believe if you buy the Badlands wheel/tyre combo now, they are supplied with 12/14/17mm adapters, and the wheels are vented
I highly doubt that is the case BUT Ihave a new set coming TODAY so I'll be able to tell ya when I get them lol

I bought a couple sets about 2 months ago maybe 3 and they only came with the 12mm and they aren't vented.

Or be like me and run all the tires and spend too much money. I converted my senton to a BRCC to so still used the senton tires and SC street tires. Quite the ripper with the suspension without the spacers and street tires. Im now planning on wasting more money and getting some Hoons eventually. I actually really like the stock BRCC tires for all around, I also don't try to go full throttle through turns as most cars will flip.

I have the Pro-Line Trencher HP belted tires with 17mm hubs on my Typhon 3s. They are great off road, and, believe it or not, they grip pavement well.

Typhon 3s with Pro-line Trenchers.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back