Big Rock Too Much Speed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matflat

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Typhon 3s
Hello fellow Arrma enthusiasts,

Never thought I'd say this, but my son's Big Rock has way too much speed. Well, at least that's what it seems like. We had to replace the servo on his car this week and we went out for a bash and his 50% is like 75%. His 75% is like 100%. It flies.

I went and found several videos on how to set up the servo, which also included the throttle control. But, I have a funny feeling that I may have done something incorrect on one of the beeps or flashes. The car turns left and right just fine, but off the mark, it is bonkers fast. I did adjust the punch settings - I put it back to 1, as it was on 3. But it has done nothing.

One thing I did do when taking the old servo out and replacing it, was that I seemed to have snapped the plastic cover of the antenna. But the antenna isn't damaged and I did manage to secure the plastic cover back.

The transmitter has not been bound to the car, since day one, we don't have a binding plug, but this has not caused an issue since we got the car.

I have no idea where to start. Hope there is some help out there :)

Maybe during your initial ESC calibration the throttle wasn’t properly registered, and after your new calibration it is.
If you’re running 3s you could always drop down to 2s. These are pretty fast little trucks.

Maybe during your initial ESC calibration the throttle wasn’t properly registered, and after your new calibration it is.
If you’re running 3s you could always drop down to 2s. These are pretty fast little trucks.
Thanks Dan. I have done several resets to this, but nothing is working. Just opened the box where the esc is and every cable is in the right place and the right way round. I was pitting it against my Typhon 3S and the Big Rock was way way faster.

Thanks Dan. I have done several resets to this, but nothing is working. Just opened the box where the esc is and every cable is in the right place and the right way round. I was pitting it against my Typhon 3S and the Big Rock was way way faster.
Did you try a throttle calibration?

Like @Robbbbbb66 suggested, do another throttle calibration. It can’t hurt. I’ve certainly never heard of a rig suddenly becoming much faster for no apparent reason. That’s a head scratcher for me, perhaps someone else could be familiar with something like this and chime in.

It did cut out at full throttle with a freshly charged battery in. He was on 50% throttle and had to drive like it was on 100% :)
I could have a broken transmitter and it's stuck on 100%.

It did cut out at full throttle with a freshly charged battery in. He was on 50% throttle and had to drive like it was on 100% :)
I could have a broken transmitter and it's stuck on 100%.
Are you sure you programmed it correctly? It isnt hard, especially if you arent careful, to be on the wrong setting. If it is the Arrma BLX100, you have to hold the set button until you get the corresponding number of beeps, which, for punch, is 2, then, tap the set button and listen to the number of beeps, which will then correspond with the setting number. Since you want setting one, you hold the set button until you hear 2 beeps, then tap the set button until you hear a single beep, then turn it off and back on.

Hello fellow Arrma enthusiasts,

Never thought I'd say this, but my son's Big Rock has way too much speed. Well, at least that's what it seems like. We had to replace the servo on his car this week and we went out for a bash and his 50% is like 75%. His 75% is like 100%. It flies.

I went and found several videos on how to set up the servo, which also included the throttle control. But, I have a funny feeling that I may have done something incorrect on one of the beeps or flashes. The car turns left and right just fine, but off the mark, it is bonkers fast. I did adjust the punch settings - I put it back to 1, as it was on 3. But it has done nothing.

One thing I did do when taking the old servo out and replacing it, was that I seemed to have snapped the plastic cover of the antenna. But the antenna isn't damaged and I did manage to secure the plastic cover back.

The transmitter has not been bound to the car, since day one, we don't have a binding plug, but this has not caused an issue since we got the car.

I have no idea where to start. Hope there is some help out there :)
Too much speed! THAT’s BLASPHEMY!!
Put a 2s in because eventually you’ll want that speed back. I’ve been trying to get mine faster for years now. That is by no means a

Well my question is, is the typhon setup correctly? If they are running the same equipment it shouldnt be that different so maybe the typhon isn't calibrated but the big rock is
@StephenSchandelmayer - I genuinely hadn't even thought of that. Going to bang my head against a wall :) I'll redo the setup on both again.
Are you sure you programmed it correctly? It isnt hard, especially if you arent careful, to be on the wrong setting. If it is the Arrma BLX100, you have to hold the set button until you get the corresponding number of beeps, which, for punch, is 2, then, tap the set button and listen to the number of beeps, which will then correspond with the setting number. Since you want setting one, you hold the set button until you hear 2 beeps, then tap the set button until you hear a single beep, then turn it off and back on.
@biggman100 - I am prone to error, so I will redo the setup and do it on both the Typhon and the Big Rock again. Will report back shortly, and I'll post a video if something even creepier happen. Appreciate the help.

Okey dokey. I recalibrated both the typhon and the big rock. They also are both running 3s batteries, as normal. Put them side by side and me and my son had the TX on 50%. Without question, the big rock is smashing it. It sounds like it's running 75% or higher. I even opened up the box where the esc is and triple-checked the wiring against that of the typhon. There are no leads in the wrong places. Have uploaded a couple of videos to see if they help at all. I also made sure the punch settings on each were set to 1. So confused.

Okey dokey. I recalibrated both the typhon and the big rock. They also are both running 3s batteries, as normal. Put them side by side and me and my son had the TX on 50%. Without question, the big rock is smashing it. It sounds like it's running 75% or higher. I even opened up the box where the esc is and triple-checked the wiring against that of the typhon. There are no leads in the wrong places. Have uploaded a couple of videos to see if they help at all. I also made sure the punch settings on each were set to 1. So confused.
At this point I would assume that the throttle percentage switch on the radio is faulty, and is “locked” at 75% or 100%.
You could switch your Typhon to 100% and compare them that way.

At this point I would assume that the throttle percentage switch on the radio is faulty, and is “locked” at 75% or 100%.
You could switch your Typhon to 100% and compare them that way.
Excellent idea. All of these excellent ideas I don't seem to think of first :)

You could also temporarily bind your radio from the Typhon to the Big Rock and see if changing the percentage becomes active again.

Sorry if I missed it, but did you have the throttle limit switches at 100% when you calibrated the ESC?
Ummmmm, OK. Wow. You might have just nailed it, dude.

Sorry if I missed it, but did you have the throttle limit switches at 100% when you calibrated the ESC?
@RelaxC - good call. I redid the calibration again to make sure it was set at 50% and the car still goes like it is 100%. It looks like it could be the transmitter switch as that is the only thing I can think of. Haven't managed to swap the controllers around yet though.

@RelaxC - good call. I redid the calibration again to make sure it was set at 50% and the car still goes like it is 100%. It looks like it could be the transmitter switch as that is the only thing I can think of. Haven't managed to swap the controllers around yet though.
That’s wrong, the throttle switch needs to be set at 100% when calibrating.
If it’s set at 50% when calibrated, it recognizes 50% as 100%.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back