Typhon Typhon 3s conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyD

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
Just wondered if I took the motor and 4s esc out of my outcast and put it in my Typhon 3s would that work fine?

I’m running the 4s esc on 4s with the stock 3s motor with a fan and 17t pinion, it is ridiculously fast (almost too fast if there is such a thing) and haven’t had any heat issues.

Been there. Done that. Just be careful with the plastic spur. It won’t hold long. Best to get the 4S slipper assembly with the steel spur and extra pad. I ran that setup for a while until I needed 6S.... then 8S ???

I run 4S with a 2650kv 4070 on a 26T.

It's super hard on the ESC. MAX10 SCT. Over heats.

Still running the 3S slipper but I am stupid particular about gear mesh and clutch tightness and *knock on wood* my spur gear is months and months old through off road, bashing and speed runs. I even made the slots bigger on the adjustable motor mount to get the clash I wanted for the 26T.

I say it's totally a thing but I would also say I don't run off road or bash on 4S. Strictly on road.

I got a hobbywing 150A out of this other brand. I forget the name. They have like. . . Japanese movie names like ninja, shogun and stuff. It was from Jenny's RC. Hobao! That's it. Not the one I was thinking. 150A hobbywing from a Hobao Hyper Truggy. Cheaper than the max8 which is for all intents and purposes identical. Upgrading to a max6 or a 160A it probably will not fit without some other mounting shenanigans.

https://jennysrc.com/products/hobao...c-speed-control-1-8-hobbywing-150a-ofna-hyper

It was more reasonably priced when I got it. 50 USD. It's a good ESC with loads of programming options and on 4S it never breaks a sweat. I would not run it 6S. We tried that and the motor leads had a tough time and it got hot hot. Maybe with a good cap pack on it it could handle 2200kv but we have a 2650kv if I recall correctly. I prefer it over the spektrum 150 which can definitely push a 2200kv on 6S (but is on the edge really, I think). Anyways it is a lot cheaper and it has loads of programming. I find the spektrum 150 to be frustrating with it's lack of options. But if you plan on staying 4S it is brilliant.
The other brand was Korally. We got a 35kg servo out of one of their trucks from Jenny's and run it in our Limitless.

I think if I could go back I might have opted for a TLR tuned 6S roller Typhon and converted that into a GT. But with a few upgrades: Especially the metal crown gear on the rear diff and metal input getting a 3S typhon on 4S with a 2200-2850kv motor with this ESC is a blast. I wouldn't even bother with the body and all that: I think I just enjoyed going through that effort as a hobbyist but leaving it as open wheel and buggy style would have been awesome. It might be a winter project to re buggify it. The typhon can go really really fast as it is. But yeah. 4S is fun.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back