Typhon Typhon 4x4 v3 MEGA now $150 - best way to upgrade to 6s or 3s?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 6s
So, I have a Granite 3s BLX 1/10 (For my son), and a Heavily Modified Kraton 6s 1/8. And I just saw this deal, and I couldn't pass it up, so a Typhon 4x4 v3 MEGA is joining the family.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/produc...onal-green---scratch-and-dent/ARA4206V3I.html

Now, I really want to upgrade this to brushless. What are my options or recommendations for doing this economically?

Ideally, I would like to go to 6s BLX, but not sure what that would do to the slipper clutch. Is it possible to replace this with a center diff?

What other upgrades do I need? As a thank you, I will document and post all my upgrades to a build thread! Thanks everyone!

So, I have a Granite 3s BLX 1/10 (For my son), and a Heavily Modified Kraton 6s 1/8. And I just saw this deal, and I couldn't pass it up, so a Typhon 4x4 v3 MEGA is joining the family.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/produc...onal-green---scratch-and-dent/ARA4206V3I.html

Now, I really want to upgrade this to brushless. What are my options or recommendations for doing this economically?

Ideally, I would like to go to 6s BLX, but not sure what that would do to the slipper clutch. Is it possible to replace this with a center diff?

What other upgrades do I need? As a thank you, I will document and post all my upgrades to a build thread! Thanks everyone!

I returned a Typhon Mega 550. Thought id turn it into a 3S or higher but No its a waste of time and money. Just buy 3S, its much cheaper and doing 6S in it, is again not realistic UNLESS you are a Hobby-wrenching nut and creative. Just buy a 6S and go from there. Its a different and Much Better platform as well. The 3S isn't really but I very much like the 3S.
The 6S is Very Powerful and not okay for your kids likely. Not okay for most adult either. 3S is tame.

Around a 170$ to get the car running brushless and adjustable tie rods.

As @fish said, it would be a better deal to get a BLX for $300 on the tower sale and still have the factory warranty, but if want to upgrade the electronics to something nicer and treat the MEGA as a Roller then it may make sense to go this route.

Thanks everyone, you convinced me to abort.... $150 was tempting, but it does seem like it isn't worth it. Maybe will go for $300 blx, or maybe I'll take a look on the classifies section and see if I can get a nice used pre-upgraded car ;-)

My V2 3s senton is faster than my kexb and just as fast as my felony if not faster than when its on the stock 20t pinion!! Haaa.. tame!! 🤣 🤯
i hear you. The 3S I got is actually faster than the 6S because it can run flat out. it’s small and light. Easy to control.
The 6S can’t achieve full power often and is more than twice the weight. And it’s an Animal!!

I tell people Not to squeeze the throttle. Like you don’t get in a friends Corvette and just floor it!
When they don’t listen and it jumps, flips and tumbles, I take the controller from them and hand them the 3S with a 2S battery! Like the children.

I got the 3-5 yo kids granites with 2S and throttle them down.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back