Typhon typhon mega with 3300kv 540 motor and 60a esc is this a good set up and recromended gearing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boneheadmcgee

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Granite
  3. Senton 6s
  4. Typhon 3s
i have upgraded the inputs have the 3s drive shaft support and a metal 91 tooth spur looking back i should upgraded to the 3s spur n slipper but its working fine right now im jus wondering if a 3300kv 540 motor on a 60a would b good i only use 2s batteries and do bashing and im not looking for anything too fast would this b good and what pinion should i use

i have upgraded the inputs have the 3s drive shaft support and a metal 91 tooth spur looking back i should upgraded to the 3s spur n slipper but its working fine right now im jus wondering if a 3300kv 540 motor on a 60a would b good i only use 2s batteries and do bashing and im not looking for anything too fast would this b good and what pinion should i use
Paging @Cheapbastard! He's the resident expert on these conversations ???

still looking for help with this i have a couple different pinions i can use aswell and i have also drilled out the motor mount too am jus looking for someone with experience messing with these things

What exact brand motor and esc? If you got one of the finned F540 can motors I wouldn't go that much higher than the stock 14t pinion.

If you have true 540 motor (non-finned can) and have the mount where you can fit a 19t pinion in that's where I would start. You want a slight speed boost from the stock brushed then just put a 17t pinion in. As with any gearing change you want to monitor heat, higher gearing will create more load which can heat up the motor very quickly. I try to keep the motor under 170F. Change pinion size, monitor heat and gear accordingly. If the motor runs hot gear down or add a heat sink and fan which I what I think you should do anyway. I can tell you what I would do, but the way the run your RC and the conditions you run in may be very different. Outside temp, tire size, terrain, how hard or soft you are on the throttle, just too many factors that will play into to what gearing you should run. But heat will be a notable sign when you're pushing something beyond its limit whether it be your motor, esc, or even battery.

What exact brand motor and esc? If you got one of the finned F540 can motors I wouldn't go that much higher than the stock 14t pinion.

If you have true 540 motor (non-finned can) and have the mount where you can fit a 19t pinion in that's where I would start. You want a slight speed boost from the stock brushed then just put a 17t pinion in. As with any gearing change you want to monitor heat, higher gearing will create more load which can heat up the motor very quickly. I try to keep the motor under 170F. Change pinion size, monitor heat and gear accordingly. If the motor runs hot gear down or add a heat sink and fan which I what I think you should do anyway. I can tell you what I would do, but the way the run your RC and the conditions you run in may be very different. Outside temp, tire size, terrain, how hard or soft you are on the throttle, just too many factors that will play into to what gearing you should run. But heat will be a notable sign when you're pushing something beyond its limit whether it be your motor, esc, or even battery.

ok so its a true 540 motor its a reddy 3300kv and a reedy 60a esc i have a 18 sized pinion i will use and im gonna go get a temp gun later s i can monitor temps and etc but i don't doubt ill b upgrading the motor and esc soon to something like a chinese 3000kv 3660 and a 120a esc like the hobby wing or anything i can find for cheap and has good reviews and and motor fan because i do live in florida and ambient temps arent the best here has anybody tried putting in a motor bigger then 3660 tho?

With the Mega gears, I don't think you should go any bigger than a 3660 motor. I also don't know if anybody has tried either. I don't think the Mega spur and slipper will hold up, but I guess you could try then just upgrade to BLX parts when or if things break or strip.

You want something not too expensive for the esc, pick up a Hobbywing WP SC8 or Hexfly Hex10 esc. Even the Chinese motors now are getting harder to find from a US seller right now. Run what you got for now but I would suggest upgrading right now if you can afford to do it. The smaller motors are fine though if all you are looking for is a little bump up for speed.

With the Mega gears, I don't think you should go any bigger than a 3660 motor. I also don't know if anybody has tried either. I don't think the Mega spur and slipper will hold up, but I guess you could try then just upgrade to BLX parts when or if things break or strip.

You want something not too expensive for the esc, pick up a Hobbywing WP SC8 or Hexfly Hex10 esc. Even the Chinese motors now are getting harder to find from a US seller right now. Run what you got for now but I would suggest upgrading right now if you can afford to do it. The smaller motors are fine though if all you are looking for is a little bump up for speed.

ok so i got a temp checker gun and after about 10mins temps were at 160 said woah and brought her inside definitely gonna upgrade to a 3660 with fans and get that hobbywing esc you suggested i found a surpass hobby 2600kv motor in the us 2600kv should b good right and i could put on a bigger pinion with the xtra torque

ok so i got a temp checker gun and after about 10mins temps were at 160 said woah and brought her inside definitely gonna upgrade to a 3660 with fans and get that hobbywing esc you suggested i found a surpass hobby 2600kv motor in the us 2600kv should b good right and i could put on a bigger pinion with the xtra torque

2600kv is a little too low of kv to be running 2s to achieve any good speed. You would have to gear that motor pretty high to get any real speed from it. I have one of those 3660 2600kv (blue can) motors it's a good motor but it's best to run that motor on 3s. Go up in voltage or pick a higher kv motor even with a 26t 48p pinion with the 91t 48p spur on 2s the 2600kv motor won't be that fast, good bump up from brushed speed but not that fast. You said you didn't want too fast so I would guess the 2600kv motor with a 26t pinion 91t 48p spur, stock Typhon tires may get you close to 30mph (more or less).

2600kv is a little too low of kv to be running 2s to achieve any good speed. You would have to gear that motor pretty high to get any real speed from it. I have one of those 3660 2600kv (blue can) motors it's a good motor but it's best to run that motor on 3s. Go up in voltage or pick a higher kv motor even with a 26t 48p pinion with the 91t 48p spur on 2s the 2600kv motor won't be that fast, good bump up from brushed speed but not that fast. You said you didn't want too fast so I would guess the 2600kv motor with a 26t pinion 91t 48p spur, stock Typhon tires may get you close to 30mph (more or less).
i appreciate the advice this hobby is quite confusing at first and i don't want to go spend a bunch of money on stuff that wont work how i thought, ill mainly run 2s 5200mah 50c if i use something around 3600-4000ish kv could i expect around 35-40ish and with fans still stay under that 170f mark i don't do super long full thottle runs or super hard braking jus zippn back and forth across my yard but 35-40 ish would b a good speed for my yard i could top it out when i wanted or just put it around

Investment in a quality esc is a good bet and I would say no less than a 120a esc to be able to cover most motors you would ever want to put in it. The motors can be had fairly cheap to experiment with a few to find out which one you prefer. Rcjuice.com has some Hobbystar motors for fair prices, they sell on eBay and Amazon also. One of the Hobbystar motors around 3500kv to 3800kv would be a good choice for 2s running but they look to be sold out right now. Sticking with only 2s you have to keep the rpms up so you would have to get a higher kv motor since kv roughly translates to rpms per volt (ex 3800kv x 8.4v = 31920 rpms). I run a 3660 4300kv motor right now in my Senton (which is the same wheelbase and chassis as the Typhon) with 1/8 buggy wheels and on 2s it's certainly fast enough to have some fun on just 2s. I am running BLX gears now (0.8mod) though not Mega gears.

It's just a cheap Surpass Hobby motor I have and if you want a cheap motor to try I would recommend trying one either the 3800kv or 4300kv one for 2s running https://www.ebay.com/itm/3660-2600-...hash=item594b24da80:m:mlqmiPDmrDvb2csJT56BFTg. The silver can 3660 Surpass motors have are 5mm shaft motors though so you would need 5mm bore 48p pinions. They make some 3660 motors with 3.175mm (1/8") shaft but can't find any unless they ship from China right now. Hobbystar has a 3660 motor with the 3.175mm shaft, the only one that's not sold out right now is the 4300kv one https://www.amazon.com/HobbyStar-4-...hild=1&keywords=4300kv&qid=1590246096&sr=8-15. I wouldn't recommend using these high kv motors on less than a 120a esc. You could get away with an 80a esc running 2s but if you have to buy a new esc anyway I would just go ahead and get at least a 120a esc.

You are really limiting yourself by sticking to 2s batteries.

Last edited:
Investment in a quality esc is a good bet and I would say no less than a 120a esc to be able to cover most motors you would ever want to put in it. The motors can be had fairly cheap to experiment with a few to find out which one you prefer. Rcjuice.com has some Hobbystar motors for fair prices, they sell on eBay and Amazon also. One of the Hobbystar motors around 3500kv to 3800kv would be a good choice for 2s running but they look to be sold out right now. Sticking with only 2s you have to keep the rpms up so you would have to get a higher kv motor since kv roughly translates to rpms per volt (ex 3800kv x 8.4v = 31920 rpms). I run a 3660 4300kv motor right now in my Senton (which is the same wheelbase and chassis as the Typhon) with 1/8 buggy wheels and on 2s it's certainly fast enough to have some fun on just 2s. I am running BLX gears now (0.8mod) though not Mega gears.

It's just a cheap Surpass Hobby motor I have and if you want a cheap motor to try I would recommend trying one either the 3800kv or 4300kv one for 2s running https://www.ebay.com/itm/3660-2600-...hash=item594b24da80:m:mlqmiPDmrDvb2csJT56BFTg. The silver can 3660 Surpass motors have are 5mm shaft motors though so you would need 5mm bore 48p pinions. They make some 3660 motors with 3.175mm (1/8") shaft but can't find any unless they ship from China right now. Hobbystar has a 3660 motor with the 3.175mm shaft, the only one that's not sold out right now is the 4300kv one https://www.amazon.com/HobbyStar-4-...hild=1&keywords=4300kv&qid=1590246096&sr=8-15. I wouldn't recommend using these high kv motors on less than a 120a esc. You could get away with an 80a esc running 2s but if you have to buy a new esc anyway I would just go ahead and get at least a 120a esc.

You are really limiting yourself by sticking to 2s batteries.
thanks im starting to get the whole kv gearing and battery thing now lol ill go around with the kv range u said and im definitely gonna get a quality esc its a good investment and i plan to only stick to 2s for now its easier on the drive train also would you know if the bearing kits come with the bearings to replace the bushings for the steering i need new bearings anyways stock ones are junk and the one in between the slipper and rear dif inputs always gets cruddy and i have to clean them alot so i jus slapped a bunch of tape around it and it seems to work for now till i get new ones

thanks im starting to get the whole kv gearing and battery thing now lol ill go around with the kv range u said and im definitely gonna get a quality esc its a good investment and i plan to only stick to 2s for now its easier on the drive train also would you know if the bearing kits come with the bearings to replace the bushings for the steering i need new bearings anyways stock ones are junk and the one in between the slipper and rear dif inputs always gets cruddy and i have to clean them alot so i jus slapped a bunch of tape around it and it seems to work for now till i get new ones

Stock bearings are junk and you are right to go ahead and replace them all. Jims bearings, TRB RC bearings, Avid bearings, and Fast Eddy bearings are all brands I would recommend getting bearings from.

I would go ahead and get one of the BLX bearing kits, they will have all the bearings needed for a Mega and BLX. The progression to BLX driveline parts is what most end up doing anyways when they move to brushless power in a Mega so having all the bearings for those parts is a bonus.

Here are some links to kits (some can be found on ebay cheaper). The lite kits don't include the bellcrank bearings.

https://jimsbearings.com/collection...rock-granite-senton-typhon-3s-blx-w-bellcrank
https://trbrc.com/arrma-big-rock-granite-senton-typhon-3s-blx-bearing-kit-26/
https://www.fasteddybearings.com/arrma-typhon-3s-blx-sealed-bearing-kit/

I have a list of where the bearing locations are in this post #15 https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/pillow-ball-removal.14857/#post-186588

I recently upgraded my mega V3 I put on the Onyx 70 amp ESC 3000kv combo I also switch the pinion gear to a 17 tooth .08 mod and I had to switch over to the 3s BLX slipper clutch assembly so I could change the spur gear the spur gear that was in my mega the V3 was a 91 tooth and that was the hold up big time even after I change the motor and ESC combo I still couldn't top 18 miles per hour in till I changed out those two gears problem being is once I change them to gears and was running on 3s the motor in extremely hot so just watch it with that cheap ESC combo I'm now looking at a max10 combo for mine also I would suggest getting the aluminum backing plate for the motor mount as I think it'll take up some of the slop that is now introduced when using the BLX slipper clutch. So next I am going to try that max10 3660 combo and hopefully that one holds up because that Onyx combo did not at all literally melted the motor down wires melted out and everything went when I ran it on 2's it got pretty warm but wasn't too bad. Mile per hour with that setup was 30.30 it was a lot more on the 3s but the 3s was overdoing it for this ESC motor combo even though they called any 3s ESC I believe it's just riding a line at 70 amps considering you're looking at a 60 amp I'd look into something maybe a little better
16041044496814093445080665518686.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back