Grom Blx185 and a 540 motor in the little Grom 😈

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StephenSchandelmayer

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Gorgon
  2. Mojave 4s
  3. Outcast 4s
  4. Typhon 6s
I bought the Grom and like many other obviously had to make a change! I had this blx185 and a 540 motor laying around and thought hey! This might work with effort. Sure enough I had to make a lot of changes but I am running a 5800kv motor on 3s and wowza it's a monster. The motor shaft is a 3.17 and I had 48p gears for that in my pile and it seemed to mesh pretty good and I have been running it and so far so good. I had to modify the motor mount a lot, cut the whole center brace out, and cut open the rear cover to allow the pinion to stick up. It's currently running a 32 pinion! The esc is obviously huge for this but it didn't have a home so here it went. My wiring is a crap show so don't hate me on that.

Im still in the process of trying to make it handle under the power because it's a squirly as hell. I just put earplugs in the diffs so we will see what that does. My other big annoyance is the slop in the steering. Trying to figure out something to help that. Might be time for a good servo as well. Anyways here it is and yes the body still fits 😁
IMG_9561.jpeg
IMG_9563.jpeg
IMG_9564.jpeg
IMG_9566.jpeg
IMG_9567.jpeg
IMG_9568.jpeg

I bought the Grom and like many other obviously had to make a change! I had this blx185 and a 540 motor laying around and thought hey! This might work with effort. Sure enough I had to make a lot of changes but I am running a 5800kv motor on 3s and wowza it's a monster. The motor shaft is a 3.17 and I had 48p gears for that in my pile and it seemed to mesh pretty good and I have been running it and so far so good. I had to modify the motor mount a lot, cut the whole center brace out, and cut open the rear cover to allow the pinion to stick up. It's currently running a 32 pinion! The esc is obviously huge for this but it didn't have a home so here it went. My wiring is a crap show so don't hate me on that.

Im still in the process of trying to make it handle under the power because it's a squirly as hell. I just put earplugs in the diffs so we will see what that does. My other big annoyance is the slop in the steering. Trying to figure out something to help that. Might be time for a good servo as well. Anyways here it is and yes the body still fits 😁
View attachment 329148View attachment 329149View attachment 329150View attachment 329151View attachment 329152View attachment 329153

Uhm sir...
Does that even go anywhere or does it just spin in place!!?

Uhm sir...
Does that even go anywhere or does it just spin in place!!?
Hahahaha that's the problem!! Kinda!! Had to turn my throttle rate down a little to avoid full power at low speeds. I did a standing backflip going about 20-30 mph with the stock tires. It's an angry little guy.

View attachment 329148View attachment 329149View attachment 329150View attachment 329151View attachment 329152View attachment 329153
Kinda reminds me of my Stubby. But it’s has big block custom built bored out sleeved ect.
Love that little guy you got right there 👍

Hahahaha that's the problem!! Kinda!! Had to turn my throttle rate down a little to avoid full power at low speeds. I did a standing backflip going about 20-30 mph with the stock tires. It's an angry little guy.

A little like this
Angry Dog GIF

Thing looks absolutely NUTS!(y)
Sonic The Hedgehog Explosion GIF by Xbox
Is that sonic going super Saiyan lol!?
Absolutely insane. And amazing. You’ve got to show us some running vids.
I absolutely will put some videos up. Hoping the tweaks I made will make it more controllable lol!
Now that's what I call 'efficient real estating'; using up every square mm of space :ROFLMAO:.
Looks a real pocket rocket! ;)(y)
hell yeah man!! Body is a tight squeeze but it goes on and fits mostly normally which is great. The larger motor fits really nice as well but a larger spur would help a lot because you could probably keep the center brace. Motor mount is another big issue though
And here i was thinking my mini b with an 8200kv castle motor on 3s was stupid fast..

I need this on my life.

Well done sir! 😃

What size treads you got on there, 45?

View attachment 329180
That mini B must be an absolute handful ass well though 8200 on 3s!? Sheesh!! But thank you thank you 🙌🏼

Tires are 45 wide and 68 tall. They grip really nice on the street.
1698664231585.gif

Wild little beast! Is your puch setting at 1? I stuffed a 120amp blx esc and a 7800kv hw on 3s. At 48mph at 3/4 throttle it flips over. I can move the battery close to the front, should help. Hand full to drive.
Dude I'm having such steering issues I can't even figure out how fast it'll go idk what the problem is. Can't keep it straight worth a damn honestly but I'm making some changes to the steering assembly that may or may not help. I killed a spur gear so I ordered a couple more of those lol
Think I could run it would be fun. I have to warm up first. 😁😁 min 1/10 scale well not acutely but I like races. Or just send that lil guy to me..

View attachment 329295

View attachment 329296

View attachment 329297

View attachment 329298

View attachment 329299

View attachment 329300
HA! That thing is insane!! I love it!!!

Dude I'm having such steering issues I can't even figure out how fast it'll go idk what the problem is. Can't keep it straight worth a damn honestly but I'm making some changes to the steering assembly that may or may not help. I killed a spur gear so I ordered a couple more of those lol

HA! That thing is insane!! I love it!!!
Your front wheels are probably toed out way to much, maybe 1%toed in. I had the same problem with the dromida, this fixed it. Runs straight not all over now.

Your front wheels are probably toed out way to much, maybe 1%toed in. I had the same problem with the dromida, this fixed it. Runs straight not all over now.
Yeah they are for sure but cant really adjust these things in a normal way. Maybe there are some adjustable turnbuckles that would fit it.

Back