Talion Used loctite and now can't get the wheels off!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banjoted

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Infraction
  3. Mojave
  4. Talion
So, in my journey of discovery when it comes to RC tinkering, last night I installed new body mounts and a new body, plus put on some new wheel.

I was foolish, however, in using loctite, knowing full well that I had some RPM arms on the way. They arrived today so I set about removing the wheels and... urgh.

I thought I was getting somewhere until I realised that when turning the locking nut I was actually just turning the axels. I've tried everything - holding the other wheels in position, a heat gun (at a range of temps). Holding the wrench in place and instead turning the wheel stops the axel turning, but the nuts don't appear to be loosening.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

buy new wheels and heat the piss out of the wheel nuts to get them off and toss out the wheels. No loctite on wheel nuts next time. Just touque em tight and check for tightness after each pack
I was gonna say stick a soldering iron on the wheel nut, only use a torch as a last resort.

I was gonna say stick a soldering iron on the wheel nut, only use a torch as a last resort.
not sure if a soldering iron even at 480c will have enough heat to heat the alluminum hub. That alluminum sucks up the heat. But worth a shot. If the axle is turning while he holds the wheel then the rim is stripped and junk anyways so I'd just let the fire fly and go full send.

OK, will try an iron. So the wheels are toast, then?
If you are holding the wheel tight and when you try to lossen the wheel nut but the axle turns and the wheel isn't then that means the hex on the wheel is stripped and toast. The wheel should stop the axle from turning while you undo the nut if the axle turns while holding the wheel I'm sorry my friend but it's time to look at new wheels.
OK, will try an iron. So the wheels are toast, then?
you should also do as suggested and grab a hold of the axle with some vice grips but still heat that wheel nut and the vice grips will stop the axle from turning but be careful as you will scratch the axle you can try using a cloth or rubber to wrap on the axle to prevent damage but you might not get enough grip.

I typically hold the diff input cup with needle nose pliers. You can wedge them between arm and flat side of the cup. Need to eat some Wheaties prior though.

I stripped out a wheel on my moj recently. To get it off I removed the tie rod, held the driveshaft in the wheel outdrive in place with a pair of pliers then loosened bolt using a proper socket set. A lever a foot long popped that bad boy off no worries!

OK, well removing the bulk of the wheel itself was no problem with my heat gun, but I'm still stuck with the stub of manky plastic and an immovable bolt?

OK, well removing the bulk of the wheel itself was no problem with my heat gun, but I'm still stuck with the stub of manky plastic and an immovable bolt?
How much loctite did ya use? Did you take arrmas methods to heart lol jk jk. Vice grip or hold that axle nice and tight someway you feel comfortable doing, heat the nut with a pen torch or a normal torch on low setting and giver a try.

main-qimg-d18f314852a15d9a4c35ed2df19f0010.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back