Typhon V5 Typhon really hot with stock gearing...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian770

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
My new v5 Typhon’s motor gets really hot on 6s with the stock gearing. Is it perhaps too tight of a gear mesh or should I install the bigger pinion when running 6s?

Need more info.
1.How long of run times are you getting?
2. What gearing are you running now?
3. Have you checked the gear mesh?
Is it rolling freely?
4. Has it always had heat issues from day 1?

Need more info.
1.How long of run times are you getting?
2. What gearing are you running now?
3. Have you checked the gear mesh?
Is it rolling freely?
4. Has it always had heat issues from day 1?
It’s hot in 5 to 10 min.
Box stock gearing (16t pinion 50t spur)
Yes mesh seems fine, rolls freely
Not really that I’ve noticed

It’s hot in 5 to 10 min.
Box stock gearing (16t pinion 50t spur)
Yes mesh seems fine, rolls freely
Not really that I’ve noticed
How old is it?
What are the temps you are calling hot?

Mine ran hot also, but it's also hard not to slam the throttle wide open as it's a blast which in turn causes a lot of heat. Best solution is to pick up a heatsink with dual fans mine stays cool now 👍

My new v5 Typhon’s motor gets really hot on 6s with the stock gearing. Is it perhaps too tight of a gear mesh or should I install the bigger pinion when running 6s?

along with everything that has been said, going to a larger pinion will exacerbate your heat problem. Gear down (smaller pinion) if you want to run cooler.

I put an NTF fan on mine and right now it barely gets hot to the touch.

I ran it hard again today and it topped out at 145. That’s not too bad I guess. I ordered a heat sink with a dual fan setup for the summer. Hopefully that will keep it together.

If you can get the heat sink and fans to fit under your V5 body post some pictures and part numbers please
Hopefully this Amazon special will fit with a little modification. It appears to be on the proverbial slow boat from China... it looks like it will be a while before I can post an update on the fitment.

F3D90916-A315-40C4-A829-F0A9DB26DE57.png

I would like to see someone test these heatsinks and fans vs. fans on a bracket only blowing on a smooth motor can and on a motor can with machined fins to see if the heatsink is worthwhile depending on the motor can.

You can also check for Yeah racing dual fan or Powerhobby, they are all identical. Highly suggest to upgrade fans to alu framed versions if these fail.

Frame mounted vs heat sink style is close to identical, no observable difference. Ican never find a 'clamp only type though that works, I do like the stability of the heatsink version.
If you have a link for alternates feel free to share.

Rather than start a new thread I though I would post here.

I've had my Typhon a little over a week now and I thought it has always run too hot. I measured my motor after the last run and was shocked to see 89C after running out my 5200mah 6s. It was a cool day, about 20C and I was on an ultra smooth cricket field. Stock pinion. I felt this would be considered just normal use but maybe not? On the next run I found the motor was loose so mesh was probably not right, will check it again with the mesh corrected but looks like I'll need some cooling either way.

Rather than start a new thread I though I would post here.

I've had my Typhon a little over a week now and I thought it has always run too hot. I measured my motor after the last run and was shocked to see 89C after running out my 5200mah 6s. It was a cool day, about 20C and I was on an ultra smooth cricket field. Stock pinion. I felt this would be considered just normal use but maybe not? On the next run I found the motor was loose so mesh was probably not right, will check it again with the mesh corrected but looks like I'll need some cooling either way.

Grass is the most difficult surface to run and RC on, especially for a buggy. High traction and very high drag. Running on grass you will need to cool the motor and/or run a smaller pinion.

Running on grass kills more motors than anything in this hobby. By a lot.

Back