Typhon RGFast typhon V5 build/mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgfast

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
Starting thread here on my new Typhon V5 6s, I haven't been around in while as sometime life gets in the way but that another story LOL. I've been looking at the typhons for some time just never pulling the trigger to get one, I also toyed with whether to get a 3s or 6s but with all my other cars being 6s I felt parts compatibility was key. Before I actually order new typhon I was already ordering mod parts for the new car LOL. Now here's where things get tricky, I have everything to go truggy with Kraton hubs and a set of Talion katars. I'm just not sure this is where I want to go with this build now.

1704567971893.jpeg

I like to break in cars on 4s packs then move up, but with this buggy when I did run a 6s pack in it I started thinking 4s was a better match for it. So now I'm leaning more towards staying with stock stance and upping motor KVs to 2250to 2300 and playing with different shock package. Also thinking about trying a set of pin style tires, this buggy is a beast on my track that I built on the back of land.

1704566669336.jpeg

Buggy as she sits now

I am working on a stretched typhon 6s build myself. I already stretched it but am waiting for the correct motor mounts for the Castle 2028 800kv motor. The build is for speed runs only so I'm trying to figure out how low I want it and the best way to do it. I saw people say the limitless shock towers work well so I'm going to try those first. Any idea's are appreciated. Thanks

I am working on a stretched typhon 6s build myself. I already stretched it but am waiting for the correct motor mounts for the Castle 2028 800kv motor. The build is for speed runs only so I'm trying to figure out how low I want it and the best way to do it. I saw people say the limitless shock towers work well so I'm going to try those first. Any idea's are appreciated. Thanks
Limitless shock towers def give it a lower look. You'll want the shocks of course too. Why such a heavy motor? i'd think for speed runs a higher kv and smaller motor would be ok in a 6s truck.

road typhon.jpg

Limitless shock towers def give it a lower look. You'll want the shocks of course too. Why such a heavy motor? i'd think for speed runs a higher kv and smaller motor would be ok in a 6s truck.

View attachment 341389
I am installing the shock towers now. As far as the motor, I wanted to try a 56 series motor and this 1 I found on sale. I think it will be extremely fast, maybe to fast as long as it stays on the ground.

I am installing the shock towers now. As far as the motor, I wanted to try a 56 series motor and this 1 I found on sale. I think it will be extremely fast, maybe to fast as long as it stays on the ground.
Are you going to run 8s? you'll have to gear to the moon with that low of a kv.

Yeah 8s, large pinion gear, not sure how high yet but I got 28_32T and 44-47 spur. I'm still kinda new to electric. I used to run nitro trucks about 20 years back. Got back into rc's about 1 year ago but this is my first full custom build. I started with just a typhon 6s roller, stretched it, put the motor mount (which was much harder to find than expected) in and am installing the limitless shock tower and shocks on it now. Next I'll try and see how the motor fits.

Yeah 8s, large pinion gear, not sure how high yet but I got 28_32T and 44-47 spur. I'm still kinda new to electric. I used to run nitro trucks about 20 years back. Got back into rc's about 1 year ago but this is my first full custom build. I started with just a typhon 6s roller, stretched it, put the motor mount (which was much harder to find than expected) in and am installing the limitless shock tower and shocks on it now. Next I'll try and see how the motor fits.
I put a 5687 on a stretched mojave with an ebay special motor mount. It angled up as you went away from the spur. I have that one set at 36/50 and on 8s (with the spiral cut gears and 1/5 grp's) i hit 74mph on a high school track straight away. I'd math out what 22/50 gearing does with a 2050kv motor on 6s and at least be in that ballpark to start to make sure you are above that. I know you can find lower than 46t spurs on ebay but stock 46 is the lowest you'll find. I'll attach some pics of my build in a min, i have to email them to myself from work.
Here's the build and progression pics. It started life with a cen reeper body and 3.8 belted badlands, then i went 1/5 grp's to be a large buggy, and now it still has the buggy body from a 1/5 redcat but has fireteam wheels on it
Starting thread here on my new Typhon V5 6s, I haven't been around in while as sometime life gets in the way but that another story LOL. I've been looking at the typhons for some time just never pulling the trigger to get one, I also toyed with whether to get a 3s or 6s but with all my other cars being 6s I felt parts compatibility was key. Before I actually order new typhon I was already ordering mod parts for the new car LOL. Now here's where things get tricky, I have everything to go truggy with Kraton hubs and a set of Talion katars. I'm just not sure this is where I want to go with this build now.

View attachment 341164

I like to break in cars on 4s packs then move up, but with this buggy when I did run a 6s pack in it I started thinking 4s was a better match for it. So now I'm leaning more towards staying with stock stance and upping motor KVs to 2250to 2300 and playing with different shock package. Also thinking about trying a set of pin style tires, this buggy is a beast on my track that I built on the back of land.

View attachment 341160
Buggy as she sits now
Forgot about these pics from when i toyed with a wider typhon. I did talion arms as well as the wheels but it kinda gave me water bug vibes and swapped it back to typhon arms and belted 2.8 badlands.

Attachments

• stretched mojave 2.png
    stretched mojave 2.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 22
  • stretched mojave 3.jpg
    stretched mojave 3.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 17
  • stretched mojave 5.jpg
    stretched mojave 5.jpg
    341.1 KB · Views: 17
  • stretched mojave 4.jpg
    stretched mojave 4.jpg
    378.6 KB · Views: 17
  • stretched mojave 6.jpg
    stretched mojave 6.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 15
  • stretched mojave.jpg
    stretched mojave.jpg
    690.5 KB · Views: 15
  • taliphon 2.jpg
    taliphon 2.jpg
    800.5 KB · Views: 21
  • taliphon.jpg
    taliphon.jpg
    539.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Well I got a few items completed today, started by pulling all the diffs and getting them broken down and cleaned. Decided to go ahead and install the Kraton hubs while I was pulling things down. I installed M2C upper shock mounts and modified upper and lower arms by installing bonze bushing. The buggy looks sharp an inch wider, reassembled diffs using 30/500/20 for fluids

here's a couple of pics of modified arms.

1704673587006.jpeg

1704673651703.jpeg

this little mod I do to all cars, eliminates slop and ware plus I've never broke an arm that has been bushed.

Here's picture buggy as it sits now

1704674356275.jpeg

Well I picked up a few things from Jenny's, new body shell and tires. I also installed a 2250kv motor, not sure when I'll get a chance for a test blast with all the rain we're getting here

1704932139334.jpeg

1704932180066.jpeg

Are you going to run 8s? you'll have to gear to the moon with that low of a kv.
I took your advice and got a higher kv motor but still 56 series. I got a 2400kv this time. I'm planning on using large gears. I watched some videos and people were hitting over 150mph with the lower kv motors. So this should fly. I'll probably need to widen it.

So I got a little bit of wire management done, first was to solder the bullet connectors to new motor, then cut out one of the battery plugs. I only use single packs so there was no reason for the extra clutter under the body for such a compact buggy. The new motor is an Apex 2250kv and I've set timing to 3.75, hoping to get run on it before the rain hits again today.

1705077077428.jpeg

So I got a little bit of wire management done, first was to solder the bullet connectors to new motor, then cut out one of the battery plugs. I only use single packs so there was no reason for the extra clutter under the body for such a compact buggy. The new motor is an Apex 2250kv and I've set timing to 3.75, hoping to get run on it before the rain hits again today.

View attachment 342114
Where did you buy that motor from? Having a hard time finding the specs on it but amazon and some indian website both say it's rated to 12v. The hobbystar 4076 that looks just like it is rated to less than 18v at 2200kv

hobbystar 4076.png

So not Typhon related but I did organize my bench area today. Its been needing a little help, I went out shop fixed up some peg board that I had laying around from another project. IMHO I think it turned out pretty good

Before
1705281421930.jpeg

and after
1705281759057.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back