Verify DX5 Pro 2021

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BasherDad

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I registered my DX5 Pro 2021 and when I go to the model presets tab on the website there aren't any available. It also shows the model as a SPM5000 after registering. How can I tell if I actually got the 2021 version of the DX5 Pro? There were no preset models built into it when I turned it on and it looks like the screen is scratched. The box says it's a 5025 and the battery cover on the bottom says 5025, but maybe someone returned one and put the older model in there?

Ok well I feel dumb, the scratched screen was just the protective plastic film over the screen. The factory sure wasn't careful with it and they make it pretty tough to tell it's even on there. I really had to pick at it just to get it off. I'm still confused why there weren't any models preloaded.

Is there anywhere that people share their config files? I bought the 1/8th Kraton EXB that I put the FIRMA 150A ESC motor combo in. I've never had an RC car before. I'd like to setup several drive modes so I can get used to the power. I'm shocked how much power it has with 6S. I have a 6 year old and I'd like him to be able to drive it without destroying it instantly. I'm sure I can figure it out, but if I can load a config file and save myself the time of manually doing it, that's a no brainer.

Thanks!

There aren't any "preset" configuration files because much of it is model/vehicle specific - specific binding to that particular receiver, trims, subtravel, endpoints, etc. and the rest of it is user preference (expo, etc).

It goes pretty quickly though. Create a new model, edit the name, bind to the receiver, make sure all your directionals are correct and you don't need to reverse a channel, set endpoints and that's about it ... (EDIT) and adjust trim/subtravel.

SPM5025 means you bought it with a receiver as a combo (IIRC). The base model is SPM5000 family. For model presets, check Horizon Hobby. They tend to have stuff like that on the product pages that Spektrum doesn't have on their site. As far as sharing profiles, you could do that here.... but neither Spektrum nor Horizon is interested in hosting user discussion sites. They are often sparse with what they release as far as documentation and software goes, and they don't support user development. Once you learn your radio's system, I'm sure you will like it. I'm pretty picky with my purchases, but somehow all of my gear for air and surface is Spektrum. The stuff just works.

Edit- If you decide you don't like it, PM me. I'd like to upgrade!

There aren't any "preset" configuration files because much of it is model/vehicle specific - specific binding to that particular receiver, trims, subtravel, endpoints, etc. and the rest of it is user preference (expo, etc).

It goes pretty quickly though. Create a new model, edit the name, bind to the receiver, make sure all your directionals are correct and you don't need to reverse a channel, set endpoints and that's about it ... (EDIT) and adjust trim/subtravel.
The binding process was pretty easy. I've got a lot to learn about setting endpoints, trim and subtravel. Amain seems to have a lot of helpful youtube videos.
SPM5025 means you bought it with a receiver as a combo (IIRC). The base model is SPM5000 family. For model presets, check Horizon Hobby. They tend to have stuff like that on the product pages that Spektrum doesn't have on their site. As far as sharing profiles, you could do that here.... but neither Spektrum nor Horizon is interested in hosting user discussion sites. They are often sparse with what they release as far as documentation and software goes, and they don't support user development. Once you learn your radio's system, I'm sure you will like it. I'm pretty picky with my purchases, but somehow all of my gear for air and surface is Spektrum. The stuff just works.

Edit- If you decide you don't like it, PM me. I'd like to upgrade!
I just need to do more reading. I've read through a lot of the manual. The difference between speed and rate is kind of confusing. It seems like speed is adding an artificial delay and rate is limiting the maximum amount (like a governor). If I've got that correct it seems like it's intuitively backwards.
EDIT: Thanks for the tip on going to Horizon Hobby. They do have the preset models that I thought were going to be built-in. I'll use one of those as an example!

Under drive modes, do I just lower THR to limit the maximum throttle and thus slow the car down?

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys! I appreciate it. One last question that I can't find an answer to. I bought the SPMB2000LITX transmitter battery. https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMB2000LITX
How the heck do I charge it?!? I've tried searching and can't find an answer. I have a Spektrum S2200 G2 charger, but from what I can tell Theres nowhere to plug it in to. I thought the dx5 would have a port to charge it, but nope. That would be too logical. So if someone could point me in the direction of a charger that would be awesome!

You typically charge those small Lipo Tx packs through the balance leads. I don't know whether or not the Smart charger has balance charging capability. I thought that the DX5pro had a charging port, but I haven't had a chance to play with one.

I know this is an old thread but I recently bought the DX5 pro and it has no presets loaded at all. I’m quite new and have a hard time setting up the radio. Can someone point me where I could find those presets mentioned earlier please so I can download them ?

Also anyone able to guide me how to set up a “training mode” so that I can use it for my son to drive the Typhon but with limited throttle and possibly increased AVC so he doesn’t destroy everything?

Thanks in advance!

There are no presets available.
Presets are typically for airplanes and helicopters.

Other than trim, which is unique to your RC as well as Travel for your steering endpoints there really isn't anything to do.
AVC can be adjusted as well but the menu is pretty straight forward.

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread but I recently bought the DX5 pro and it has no presets loaded at all. I’m quite new and have a hard time setting up the radio. Can someone point me where I could find those presets mentioned earlier please so I can download them ?

Also anyone able to guide me how to set up a “training mode” so that I can use it for my son to drive the Typhon but with limited throttle and possibly increased AVC so he doesn’t destroy everything?

Thanks in advance!

As mentioned above and in my earlier post, there are no presets. Just bind and adjust trims & travel endpoints. As far as a "training mode", you can turn your throttle channel travel down from 100(%) to 50% or whatever reduced amount you desire.

Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me how I can individually set the throttle rate for a driving mode please ?

I'm pretty sure Spektrum's video series covers Tx setup. The pro is no different than any other smart radio in that regard. Settings like end points, rates, expo, and all that good stuff applies universally. Give youtube a search and you'll be up to speed, no sweat.

I tried setting up two drive modes under the same model car. But when I go into “rates” and decrease throttle and brake, this applies to all modes and not only to the currently selected. How to I specify/select it so that the decreased rates only apply to selected drive modes?
The temporary workaround is for me to go into “rates” and manually decrease and increase every time I swap with my son, and this is very tedious

Sounds like you are looking for a selection switch that would set different rates, like it's common on planes.
That is not available.
You will quickly find that this might look like a good option to have, but you desire more after a couple of minutes driving, and you will never look back.

There is an option under 'Rates' to do it temporarily while holding a switch, just tedious for extended runs. It's an option for racing, and you want a different rate in just one corner. See Manual pg9

Just an update, unfo I couldn’t find a way to set individual throttle rates for separate drive modes within the same model. Even tried setting it as a second separate model but it wouldn’t let me bind at all. So for now whenever my son wants it for a spin Ill just have to go in under rates and adjust down the throttle. Tedious but at least to my knowledge no other way around it. I wish we callus get a firmware update that would allow just that, sepa throttle and brake rates for separate drive modes within the same model.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back