Kraton Very hot centerdiff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxgasmekl

Reaction score
Hi - again:)
My center diff on my exb gets very warm from normal bashing. Its the LSD version and I have tried with 100k and 200k and even 500k oil in it. Still gets 65degress c hot. This causes the locktite on the pinion to melt and the goes the gear… I guess its mainly because of the exessive amount of heat the lsdplates generate, and they are set to their max setting with the two starplates on each side of the round one… So I was just wondering how to fix this heat issue? Should I convert the diff to an open one? I have bought the Arrma diff shim set already. And the pinion lost a tooth - I know;)

IMG_5536.jpeg

Are you referring to the center differential or the front? The LSD sacrifices reliability for performance, and IMO it wasn't worth it for me. The Notorious uses 100k fluid stock and honestly needs 10x the weight so absolutely convert to the plateless open diff, but make sure you put some THICK fluid or silicone plugs in there before bashing.

I bet your mesh is too tight, looks like your missing a tooth or two on the pinion?
I know I lost a tooth. The mesh is not too tight btw:)
Are you referring to the center differential or the front? The LSD sacrifices reliability for performance, and IMO it wasn't worth it for me. The Notorious uses 100k fluid stock and honestly needs 10x the weight so absolutely convert to the plateless open diff, but make sure you put some THICK fluid or silicone plugs in there before bashing.
Its the centerdiff. Ok, I will convert to open and put 500k oil in there

He’s talking about the center diff.
I know I lost a tooth. The mesh is not too tight btw:)

Its the centerdiff. Ok, I will convert to open and put 500k oil in there
If you convert it to open, you’ll need more than 500k, IMO. Go for a million, or earplugs. And an aluminum diff cup. Red Loctite is recommended for this application, but you must introduce heat before disassembly.
Whatever argument for viscosity you choose for the front and rear diffs doesn’t matter so much on the EXB diffs if the rear is set to minimum (or better yet converted to open) and the front is set to maximum.
But yes, the center should be open IMHO with super heavy viscosity in a metal case. That was the best solution for my Mojave EXB after experiencing the same high temps of the EXB center diff.
Some here will disagree.

I have an aluminum center diff with the 46T spur gear instead of the stock 50T. I use 200K diff fluid in center 60k rear 100k front. My center diff can get over 200F and the highest I’ve tested was 230F. It takes it like champ with no problems so far. Those high temps are from running 8S in the 1/8 kraton. 6S it still gets hotter than the motor. I do maintain my diffs by taking apart, cleaning and new diff fluid every 2-4 weeks. Take care of your diffs will prevent headaches in the future

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back