(Vintage) Blast from WAY back. Full model Airplane builds with Balsa wood/glue ETC.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotnitro

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
My farther in law passed earlier this year at 85, totally unexpected. He was a fly boy in the NAVY, loved planes till his last day. Got the call and it's time to start going through it all. I pulled a few old kits from mom-in-laws crawl space. There is/are old 1940's 50's 60's 70's 80's 90's 2000's and newer kits, old brand-new cox engines, servos, old school electrical equipment, soldering stations you name it. There are probably more in her crawl space, but I couldn't get to them without burying myself in there. I've built a few of these kits before (taught by him) and no thank you. Not because it's hard, too time consuming for me in this part of life. My father-in-law was the most uncompromising, hardheaded, anally retentive man I've ever met when it came to RC. His work was impeccable and all the guys he used to build for would pay extra for his work, they knew he'd put it together the right way. The hard part, finding out what this whole pile is worth now. Some of these built kits have been sitting for years and years...

Anyone in here still have the time or are you all instant gratification like me? :LOL:

image0.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg

Brings back memories. At 17 I built my first rc plane. A sig cadet. Numerous hours of cutting, glueing, monokoting, etc. Only to put it in the ground in a million pieces. Thought I could teach myself...NOPE! Grandparents are special people. Will never be another generation like them. Much respect. Lost my grandpa in 1979...died in front of me...oh the memories! Lost a few father in laws also....great people!

Last edited:
My farther in law passed earlier this year at 85, totally unexpected. He was a fly boy in the NAVY, loved planes till his last day. Got the call and it's time to start going through it all. I pulled a few old kits from mom-in-laws crawl space. There is/are old 1940's 50's 60's 70's 80's 90's 2000's and newer kits, old brand-new cox engines, servos, old school electrical equipment, soldering stations you name it. There are probably more in her crawl space, but I couldn't get to them without burying myself in there. I've built a few of these kits before (taught by him) and no thank you. Not because it's hard, too time consuming for me in this part of life. My father-in-law was the most uncompromising, hardheaded, anally retentive man I've ever met when it came to RC. His work was impeccable and all the guys he used to build for would pay extra for his work, they knew he'd put it together the right way. The hard part, finding out what this whole pile is worth now. Some of these built kits have been sitting for years and years...

Anyone in here still have the time or are you all instant gratification like me? :LOL:

View attachment 321450

View attachment 321451
View attachment 321452
That's awesome. Back when people actually had to build stuff. I always sucked at the monokote but it worked. Makes me miss the days where if you wanted a hobby grade RC you actually had to build it.

That's awesome. Back when people actually had to build stuff. I always sucked at the monokote but it worked. Makes me miss the days where if you wanted a hobby grade RC you actually had to build it.
Yes it was definitely a blast flying once completed! Till I crashed and all that was left were a few splinters. He’s got so many jigs for all the tight spaces to hold the wood and glue, thats going to be another mess to go through. The extra balsa wood he’s got for repairs is is piled high too. It’s gunna take a P-van filled to the top to get rid of all this.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back