Typhon Warning to new v3 Typhon owners

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all ~ What weight oil is recommended for the diffs specifically if I'm hoping to primarily do "high speed" runs?

Have yet to run my Typhon so will be inspecting its diffs thoroughly before running it when it is delivered.
Also is it awkward to get to the centre diff?

Hello all ~ What weight oil is recommended for the diffs specifically if I'm hoping to primarily do "high speed" runs?

Have yet to run my Typhon so will be inspecting its diffs thoroughly before running it when it is delivered.
Also is it awkward to get to the centre diff?

Center diff comes out with 5 screws. Easy peasey. As far as weight, true speed guys lock the center with a spool. So I would say the heavier the better.

Center diff comes out with 5 screws. Easy peasey. As far as weight, true speed guys lock the center with a spool. So I would say the heavier the better.
Thanks for that and yes I do intend to get a spool eventually but thought seeing as it'll be my first brushless motor/Lipo vehicle capable of some decent speed I'd use it as standard first to get used to it as well as set up the ride height etc.

Going to get some tomorrow I think. Most likely 500+wt (6000CST) unless you think I should go heavier?
Also as diff oil is usually pure silicone oil can it be used in shocks as well?

Thanks for that and yes I do intend to get a spool eventually but thought seeing as it'll be my first brushless motor/Lipo vehicle capable of some decent speed I'd use it as standard first to get used to it as well as set up the ride height etc.

Going to get some tomorrow I think. Most likely 500+wt (6000CST) unless you think I should go heavier?
Also as diff oil is usually pure silicone oil can it be used in shocks as well?
They make 1m weight. Just saying. No experience with it, but it does exist.

Ear plugs??
Do you mean those foam ones you stick in your ears or am I missing something? :confused::LOL:

Is that in an attempt to "lock up" the centre diff then?
Thanks
Yes, you can use silly putty, foam ear plugs, weld the gears together, etc. There are lots of ways to lock the diffs without getting a spool.

Yes, you can use silly putty, foam ear plugs, weld the gears together, etc. There are lots of ways to lock the diffs without getting a spool.
Good to know thanks.
Am thinking of trying 1million diff oil as mentioned earlier for starters in the centre diff and then later was thinking of a spool but will try the "cheaper" way first. :)

Check losi losa3505

They have good diff gasket and O ring that fits Arrma diffs

hr diff cups for all 3x diffs and shimmed always. hr bulkheads/cases front and rear; also center diff bracing upgrades as well. it is a big investment, but it is worth the money and time.
View attachment 28579
View attachment 28578
View attachment 28577
I'd say this was spot on, soon as the top goes on it will be filled, I always fill the diff because I over think and worry that with a thick fluid it could be forced away from the meeting point of the gears effectively rendering it pointless at high speed, but I do over think stuff!

Check ebay.. tekjo diff gaskets... rich duperbash uses them with good results if i remember right.

For speed runs, run thick oil up front - 200-300k. Rear can be 100k or around there. Center should really be a spool depending how fast you want to go but you can do 1 mil or even cheaper option is silly putty for about $1. Max pinion size you can fit on the stock mount is a 23t. Maybe a 24t if you dremel the mount some. I run a castle 1717 in my talion and its all the way to the end with a 23t pinion.

For speed runs, run thick oil up front - 200-300k. Rear can be 100k or around there. Center should really be a spool depending how fast you want to go but you can do 1 mil or even cheaper option is silly putty for about $1. Max pinion size you can fit on the stock mount is a 23t. Maybe a 24t if you dremel the mount some. I run a castle 1717 in my talion and its all the way to the end with a 23t pinion.
Thanks for the info.
Got some Core RC 100K so that can go in the back. Not stripped anything down yet or looked inside the diffs so time will tell which way I go.

I noticed my Tailon day one out of the box Oil, opened all diffs up to simply add and changed to a higher weight before I ran at all, never checked again Lol time to do that in the spring time Lol

Sadly I probably won't run the Outcast or any of my rcs for another few months :confused:
I am already about 2 months ahead of you. Mine is still in parts n pieces as I have been doing upgrades. Right now, I am still trying to figure out what weight oils I want to run in the diffs. I'm just a general basher trying to make the best all around runner.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back