Typhon Weird question, is it possible to run a 4s Lipo in a Typhon 3s?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacSpacey

Reaction score
Maybe a weird question, is it possible to run a 4s Lipo in a Typhon 3s? And if no why not? And if yes, is there a speed increase then? Hopefully you can help me out with this questions.
MacSpacey from the Netherlands out. PEACE!!!!

Maybe a weird question, is it possible to run a 4s Lipo in a Typhon 3s? And if no why not? And if yes, is there a speed increase then? Hopefully you can help me out with this questions.
Only if you swap out the ESC and motor to a 4S capable combo. I have done that for a while and recently even upgraded to a 6S ESC. However, it is for street speed runs that I am running 6S, not bashing offroad. I would stick to 4S max for offroad. You won't need it any faster.

Yes, all you need to do is swap out the stock esc for a 4S ESC, you can use the BLX120 out of a Kraton or Outcast4s model.. The stock BLX motor will handle 4s all day long. I've been running mine on 4s for at least 6 months with no issues. I've geared up to 21t. So it's a little missile with the stock buggy wheels. When I put the 2.8" Trenchers I only run it on 3s.

Yes, all you need to do is swap out the stock esc for a 4S ESC, you can use the BLX120 out of a Kraton or Outcast4s model.. The stock BLX motor will handle 4s all day long. I've been running mine on 4s for at least 6 months with no issues. I've geared up to 21t. So it's a little missile with the stock buggy wheels. When I put the 2.8" Trenchers I only run it on 3s.
You run 2.8’s on 21T 3S? What terrain? I had trouble with 20T and geared down to 18T which stays somewhat cool in grass.

With Yeah Racing Tornado motor and ESC fans, I still get temps I don’t like on grass. This is with the stock motor with Jim’s bearings. Interested to hear where you run. Thanks.

My Typhon would overheat on 24T if I bashed continuously on 3S or 4S. That’s with dual motor fans (ESC is what actually overheats and shuts down). I don’t think I had issues with 18T on 3S or 4S with any of my rigs. The Kraton will run all day back to back packs on 15T.

As everyone said you will need to swap the esc to a 4s capable ESC. While the 3s 3200kv motor can take 4s power with a small, reasonable pinion the BLX 100 ESC will trip high voltage cutout if you stick a 4s pack on it. Just be mindful of motor temp if you do this without upgrading both.

Thanks for the information, I am wiser all ready because of you guys. Take care and enjoy your time with your ARRMA greetings MacSpacey Peace

As everyone said you will need to swap the esc to a 4s capable ESC. While the 3s 3200kv motor can take 4s power with a small, reasonable pinion the BLX 100 ESC will trip high voltage cutout if you stick a 4s pack on it. Just be mindful of motor temp if you do this without upgrading both.
The best answer on this thread.(y)(y):cool:

Is a motor fan necessary for 4S with upgraded ESC? I'm thinking 18t or stay with 15t pinion (for the track). thx.

I just went 2s brushless with a hobbywing combo and I'm considering a motor cooling fan. For sure not moving up to 3s till I get one.

Hey guys, is it recommended to change the spur to the steel one or perhaps get the full slipper assembly from the Outcast 4s (has the extra slipper pad)?

I've read mixed feedback on it. Some people say all you need is to change the ESC to a 4s capable and that's it. Others say motor needs to be changed, slipper assembly needs to be changed, spur as well etc...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back