What is your other hobby (money pit)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah. What species are you using?

Spec's what are those..LOL. The current table I have is 48" L X 36" W Oval steel. Why Chris Craft made a table that heavy is beyond me, I can not open starboard engine cover fully. I am thinking of something around 36 x 24 range.
I use all rough cut lumber I get from the Amish (maple, oak, black walnut) I also have some Purple heart, Yellow Heart. I just started yesterday, the rough cut maple, flattened out with the jointer, cleaned then up on the plainer, I finished up 3/4" thick.
The last picture is what I made for one of the kids. He is redoing his kitchen and wanted a butcher block counter top, damn thing is 1.25" thick.

Attachments

• wood1.jpg
    wood1.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 34
  • wood2.jpg
    wood2.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Had a few hours to play with my wood :)

First on is trimming up for a straight edge.

Second one, just kept on ripping.

Third, what a pile of tooth picks.

Now for the real P.I.T.A. glueing. I am slow, this will take some time.

Attachments

• wood3.jpg
    wood3.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 31
  • wood4.jpg
    wood4.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 33
Damn, it is going faster then I thought. I am getting better, guess that is what happened when you get proficient. Should have the rest glued up tomorrow. Then sanding next week, I cheat, you will see why when I sand. Time for another beer!!

Attachments

• 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 38
Bad picture and angle. At least it is glued together! Next is to straighten the ends and glue on ends. I am using black walnut on the outside edges.

Attachments

• wood6.jpg
    wood6.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 39
Digital slot cars... All hand made except the plastic track. 1/32 electronic into 1/43 track..

sans-tihgftre.png

Refueling, changing lane, lap counter, 10 cars at the same time, autonomus car... Every thing is working.

001.JPG

1/32 chip into 1/43 cars.
My son does not play anymore, but my daughter still... :)

Musical instruments, and a growing vinyl collection certainly interferes with available funds for RCing.

Attachments

• 139.jpg
    139.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 140.jpg
    140.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 39
My favorite toy and best investment I made, drum sander. It is perfect for doing glue up stuff and working with rough cut wood. Rounded the edges. Next few days, I can finish sand. As much as I want to finish with epoxy, I am going with polyurethane as it will flex better with humidity shifts.

Attachments

• 49.jpg
    49.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 48.jpg
    48.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 51.jpg
    51.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 36
The weather is finally in the high 50s in New England and it feels like spring, but I can't ride due to the 24hr lock down. So I mopped the garage floor and took a few shots of my other money pits.
20200405_184445.jpg

20200405_184322.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back