What liquid mask is the best to use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bbqguy52

Upgrade your weekend: Take Monday Off...
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
ArrmaForum Fan
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Vorteks
I am thinking of using some liquid mask. This will be my first paint job. Or should I just use tape? If so, what is the best tape to use?

Thanks. I'll check it out

Ill 2nd the bitty liquid mask...its great. don't have to worry about getting tape into corners tight or pressing down edges

Definitely use liquid mask

I’ve used a few different brands and really prefer bitty liquid mask
I shoot itvon with a 15$ eBay hvlp gun

Do you just use a brand new/ really sharp x-acto knife to cut your lines then?
Yep. Very gently. Ive pushed too hard and scored the body then ended up with a split after just a couple runs. Just very lightly drag the knife. Works great. Someone with skills (NOT me) can make some amazing detailed bodys that would be a nightmare trying to use tape. Check out some of @Ajag work. Beautiful.

Yep. Very gently. Ive pushed too hard and scored the body then ended up with a split after just a couple runs. Just very lightly drag the knife. Works great. Someone with skills (NOT me) can make some amazing detailed bodys that would be a nightmare trying to use tape. Check out some of @Ajag work. Beautiful.
100% agree with you about the work @Ajag does. Amazing stuff! I had him do a Typhon body for me but I'm too 🐔💩 to run w/ it!!!🤣

20220601_174704.jpg

20220601_174644.jpg

20220601_174742.jpg

20220601_174800.jpg

Tape will work. Get creative. Take time. Live and learn.
The problem with tape is that you’re limited in many ways ..it also bleeds a lot so you don’t always get the same level of clean lines and edges as you do with liquid mask
Also..there’s just some areas you just simply cannot tape ..whereas liquid mask gets into those areas perfectly
Like this ..you’d never be able to tape these areas in the front ..it’s tight and very small details

49426396-059D-4B59-9807-91CCC8A09C00.jpeg

5905CF55-3535-4534-BF86-BA0641C13AA4.jpeg

CFCCC263-E265-440F-9720-FC918F57C1F3.jpeg

DF7DF561-D064-4BE1-9AEC-C19CB1EFD1B5.jpeg

6756A6D2-35A1-4112-9CF5-B354A1AE3227.jpeg

Very nice! I've only painted a few bodies and they were 1/10 scale crawlers. I've used tape. I need to experiment with liquid masking.

Great info guys. Thank you.

Last edited:
Another Vote for Liquid Mask. Mine is the "Bob Dively Aircraft Liquid Mask" (AKA, what my hobby shop had). I have applied it both with an airbrush and with a hand brush, and I prefer using a hand brush, like a fine 1/2" or 3/4" craft brush, crosshatch 3 layers, then let cure overnight.

For the airbrush, It just goes on very thin, even with a .5 tip, and it didn't go on smooth, so I tried to thin it (proline thinner), and it got gloppy. Maybe the Bitty will shoot better, IDK. Also, I am a nOOb with a airbrush, so that for sure effects things.

Do you just use a brand new/ really sharp x-acto knife to cut your lines then?
Two more thoughts on this-

1 - Yes, only use a new blade. If the blade gets dropped or anything, replace it. you want that tip to be needle sharp.

B) - Buy and extra Xacto handle, and cut it down to about 2" long. having a stubby handle comes in handy when you are cutting the mask inside the body.

I am thinking of using some liquid mask. This will be my first paint job. Or should I just use tape? If so, what is the best tape to use?
Using Liquid mask is not always necessary. Depends on your paint Graphix design and how many colors etc. What is your plan??
For your first paint job, you may be complicating things with a liquid mask. Are you using an Air brush or rattle cans?
Masking tape may suffice. Keep it more simple for your first paint job. The more colors the more complicated it gets. Liquid mask is best for freestyle graphic designs.
Your call ultimatley. Ajag knows best.

:cool:

Two more thoughts on this-

1 - Yes, only use a new blade. If the blade gets dropped or anything, replace it. you want that tip to be needle sharp.

B) - Buy and extra Xacto handle, and cut it down to about 2" long. having a stubby handle comes in handy when you are cutting the mask inside the body.
Using Liquid mask is not always necessary. Depends on your paint Graphix design and how many colors etc. What is your plan??
For your first paint job, you may be complicating things with a liquid mask. Are you using an Air brush or rattle cans?
Masking tape may suffice. Keep it more simple for your first paint job. The more colors the more complicated it gets. Liquid mask is best for freestyle graphic designs.
Your call ultimatley. Ajag knows best.

:cool:
Here’s a little secret I learned

Buy yourself a bitty designs knife -8$
https://www.amainhobbies.com/bittydesign-hobby-art-knife-bdyhk-11323/p1286259

And a pack of blades -5$-
https://www.amainhobbies.com/bittydesign-hobby-art-knife-blades-30-30-degree-bdykb-12092/p1286260

And you’ll cut the best lines and designs you’ve ever been able to do ..this knife is weighted and absolutely perfect for cutting liquid mask

The blade set comes with like 20 blades for 5$
Works a 1000% better than any exacto knife I’ve used

I agree with SrC as well..not every job requires liquid mask..I just do so many bodies these days that I just liquid mask everything because it’s quicker and easier for me ..but when I shoot liquid mask I do 10 bodies or more at a time ..it’s kind of a lot of setup and cleanup for a single body if you’re just doing something simple

Heres the knife you need

E25A5453-D4A6-4EBC-B338-82D31D08D125.jpeg

65CB9AF2-1BC2-4A6B-9784-97543F8A22AD.jpeg

FE00AB08-B874-40CC-AB04-E074AE572866.jpeg

5BD123D6-CB54-4D79-8EF9-3B26A900C505.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back