What's your BIGGEST mistake in RC.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buying a 1/10 Redcat Racing Volcano for $200, then spending an additional $200 to try and just make the damn thing run, them giving up on said dream, selling it at a great loss and making the best RC decision ever by buying a Kraton 6S

My first attempts at soldering. YT it and now have a better understanding, still not that great. Should have paid/payed more attention in shop class. Not even sure they went over that ??‍♂️

Driving my Kraton at the beach and into puddles of sea water. I knew salt was bad so I sprayed everything with WD40 right after but when I got home lots of parts were already rusty. Had to replace all bearings obviously.

Ironically it's also the most fun I ever had with this car ?

Getting a job in a radio control model shop (Avicraft, Bromley, U.K.) when I was 20. Cost me thousands through the years.

This year, one new Canopy ordered and one air-frame in the garbage
image0.jpeg
IMG-20200621-WA0009.jpeg

HSP buggies and trucks (brushless and nitro). Front and rear uprights are extra weak spots, along with the suspension arms. Would be lucky to get thru a battery/fuel tank without something going wrong. Wasted lots of time and money, but learnt a lot on wrenching and that its better to buy quality upfront.

2nd place is not buying 2 Outcast 6S last November @ $670 versus $899 now (if you can find one).

My biggest mistakes include buying unnecessary parts / spares because others have broken them "just in case." Everybody drives and crashes different and we all don't break the same stuff. Upgrading without breaking first. I've done it much worse with quads but still bad enough with ground vehicles.
Now I stick to the rule of upgrade or replace only after it breaks but it makes it easier when we have more trucks to drive during the wait for parts to arrive.
I also wasted so much money on lipos I don't use. Again for quads.
Holler if you need small, air lipos, folks. I can help you for dirt cheap. A few still new in the box.

The infraction was my biggest mistake. It overheated after 10 minutes of driving. Second time it overheated again. Glad I sold it

Not checking temperature after running through wet conditions and gearing up and adding bugger tires on one of my rigs. The result was TWO blown motors in less than 3 months at $250 each. Ouch. So it was TWO biggest mistakes ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back