Big Rock Wheel slop help??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basher27

Reaction score
I recently put in the Hot Racing pivot balls to help with wheel slop and that seemed to do the trick and all was well. After that I did a 17mm hex conversion including replacing the axle's and the other parts to make it a legitimate 17mm conversion. After doing so all wheels feel sloppy again similar to what it was like prior to putting the HR pivot balls in. I really don't understand what would have changed? Yes the wheels are tightened very tight so that's not the problem.

IMG_2687.JPG

I recently put in the Hot Racing pivot balls to help with wheel slop and that seemed to do the trick and all was well. After that I did a 17mm hex conversion including replacing the axle's and the other parts to make it a legitimate 17mm conversion. After doing so all wheels feel sloppy again similar to what it was like prior to putting the HR pivot balls in. I really don't understand what would have changed? Yes the wheels are tightened very tight so that's not the problem.

View attachment 273181
Have you checked the Bearings? I had serious steering slop problems in my Traxxas Hoss and realized the bearings in the seering blocks were having problems.

There is an inevitable amount of slop in all these trucks. Of course certain thing help but with plastic parts the play develops. You could try to put some shims in some places to help reduce it but in a basher I feel like it is a little pointless to go too crazy with it

These have been working well for shiming the wheel between the hex and the bearing. Also, check your hub carriers. Overtime they begin to warp a little and stretch. Also I’ve found the plastic gets ground down, further enlarging the bearing cup.

These have been working well for shiming the wheel between the hex and the bearing. Also, check your hub carriers. Overtime they begin to warp a little and stretch. Also I’ve found the plastic gets ground down, further enlarging the bearing cup.
+1.. if it was pretty solid before u swapped the wheels then its your hex's.. did you shim them or no!?

View attachment 273181
What kind of shocks and tires are you running the tread on those tires look nice.

View attachment 273181

On my BR, shimming between the wheel hex and outer bearing has helped. I do this on the 6S rigs also. There is a guy who put out a good video on how to shim the steering bellhousing. Helpful as well. Then a lot of us use the Kimbrough 124 large I think it is servo saver...again just helping for better steering and slop.

It's not perfect but better than it was stock.
--

@basher27

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back