Where do you charge your batteries?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I charge and store my lipos in my fireplace. I don’t have to give them a second thought that way.
I just recently moved and stored my lipos in my fireplace in a lipo sack. Think I'll spring for a batsafe soon.

I would *not* want a lipo to go ablaze in my fireplace. Especially a big ol 6S

Horrible idea. This is not a tame small upward flame with a nice cozy smell in the room.

Horrible idea. This is not a tame small upward flame with a nice cozy smell in the room.
Where do you suggest storing them then?
I have a 6s, a 4s, and 3 3s lipos.

I charge mine in whatever room I'm going to be spending some time in, usually the living room, in a lipo bag. I should figure a better way, maybe in a lipo bag in an ammo can with the seal removed. I use 6s batteries so no matter what I do, if something did happen, it's going to be a bad scene.

There-in lies the rub. The chances of something happening are slim, but if they do the results are catastrophic.

Just Google The term “Lipo fires are real“ which is a thread on the RC group forum and shows some stuff.

There are also numerous videos available on YouTube, etc.

When these fiddlestickers ignite there is so much stored energy potential it is not even funny.

Bad things happen, and unless you are living in a cardboard box you have much more to lose than a $60 Batsafe. ?

I just recently moved and stored my lipos in my fireplace in a lipo sack. Think I'll spring for a batsafe soon.
I have a batsafe too. It really a nice item. I used it for storage in my previous house.

Why do you think a fireplace won’t handle a lipo fire? It’s double layered fire brick and the batteries are on a cast iron log rack. Chimneys are designed to pull smoke. I really don’t understand your thinking here.

Well when you own a home you have to store them somewhere. Garage for me is out because its so hot and connected to my home anyway.

Can't leave them outside. So I have them in the fireplace. Anywhere in the house is a bad idea, so I ask again where do you suggest I store them then?

Well when you own a home you have to store them somewhere. Garage for me is out because its so hot and connected to my home anyway.

Can't leave them outside. So I have them in the fireplace. Anywhere in the house is a bad idea, so I ask again where do you suggest I store them then?
I’d like to know why the fireplace is a horrible idea too. If people are swearing by lipo bags and ammo boxes how is a fireplace unreasonable.

I’d like to know why the fireplace is a horrible idea too. If people are swearing by lipo bags and ammo boxes how is a fireplace unreasonable.

A lipo bag and an ammo box control the force and somewhat limit the smoke- how are you people not understanding that a fireplace is an open area with no restriction on the front for flame much less smoke and toxic fumes??

why would a lipo battery catch fire in the first place?

Good question. Answer-

(as I said above)- how about you stop argueing and read the 361 pages & video here- Lipo fires

a1409737-115-DSC_0016.jpg

Last edited:
My fireplace has tempered glass doors to seal it off. Enough so that when the wind blows the doors move from the pressure, but no draft comes out.
I have each lipo in its own bag plus an ammo box and a bat safe.
You seem to be the one that doesn’t understand how a fireplace works. It’s literally the only place in a house designed to contain a fire. That by default makes it the most reasonable option for storage.
I have watched the lipo failure videos, I watched all of the batsafe startup videos. These only reinforces a fireplace as a good storage option.
I don’t think I can convince you otherwise so you do you.
A lipo bag and an ammo box control the force and somewhat limit the smoke- how are you people not understanding that a fireplace is an open area with no restriction on the front for flame much less smoke and toxic fumes??

My fireplace has tempered glass doors to seal it off. Enough so that when the wind blows the doors move from the pressure, but no draft comes out.
I have each lipo in its own bag plus an ammo box and a bat safe.
You seem to be the one that doesn’t understand how a fireplace works. It’s literally the only place in a house designed to contain a fire. That by default makes it the most reasonable option for storage.
I have watched the lipo failure videos, I watched all of the batsafe startup videos. These only reinforces a fireplace as a good storage option.
I don’t think I can convince you otherwise so you do you.

Good question. Answer-

(as I said above)- how about you stop argueing and read the 361 pages & video here- Lipo fires

a1409737-115-DSC_0016.jpg

Last edited:
Reality is that there is risk associated with almost any option with a range of factors determining what mitigating actions people put in place. At the end of the day, you do what you can do with the resources you have commensurate with the risk your willing to accept.

Yes the results can be catastrophic but so is your gas oven failing and during your house down with you in it. I have read that statistically Lipo's carry the same risk as gas oven (hence I used that example) and toaster ovens.....presuming that is true, I don't see people taking the same precautions with their kitchen appliances and yet I would suggest that more house hold disasters have involved these than Lipo's.

I'm not saying this to make light of the Lipo risk. It is real, hence I charge and store them the way I do (see previous post on this thread)

I agree with what @Lazy Bushman says. Hell, your phone could go up in smoke, ask Samsung. I think if you buy reputable batteries and take care of them, the risk is minimal.

Don't overcharge, over-discharge or puncture them and just pay attention to what they look like after running or charging.

If lipo batteries were that dangerous, when properly used, they wouldn't be on the market.

As @roondog I charge my lipos into an ammunition box. I didn't make holes into it tho... since ammo box are made to protect against fire in the first place.. so why modifying it... Holes are more likely to allow air to feed the fire, imho anw.

As @roondog I charge my lipos into an ammunition box. I didn't make holes into it tho... since ammo box are made to protect against fire in the first place.. so why modifying it... Holes are more likely to allow air to feed the fire, imho anw.
It's mainly for the pressure buildup. If there's no way for the pressure to escape,it's essentially a bomb. Since it's a chemical fire it really doesn't need much in terms of oxygen to burn.

It's mainly for the pressure buildup. If there's no way for the pressure to escape,it's essentially a bomb.
yeah but why would it make more pressure than a fire of ammo? I mean, even a bag can hold the fire of a lipo...

yeah but why would it make more pressure than a fire of ammo? I mean, even a bag can hold the fire of a lipo...
Ammo boxes are intended to keep external fire from reaching the ammo. Not meant to prevent a fire inside the ammo box. Same as a fire proof safe. It's meant to protect the insides from a fire. Not to prevent a fire on the inside of the box. You can Google about it. Main thing to do is remove the rubber seal. That will help considerably otherwise the gasses will build and have no place to escape.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back