Granite Winter Bash Tips?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quad_rocket

Reaction score
hey all, coming onto my first winter with the Granite BLX.

any tips for winter bashing?

i think it could be epic, but i also immediately think of cold plastic snapping, salt/brine everywhere, and a rig full of rust come Spring.

? ??

hey all, coming onto my first winter with the Granite BLX.

any tips for winter bashing?

i think it could be epic, but i also immediately think of cold plastic snapping, salt/brine everywhere, and a rig full of rust come Spring.

? ??
Take care of our batteries! I live in Canada so we get LOTS of snow here! When I run Nitro it is amazing. Loud with the cold start. Then the engine purring and snow shooting out when I floor it. Electric is a lot more fun and less stress IMO

- Use a cover like Dusty Motors or something comparable
- If you have a V2, change ALL bearings for rubber sealed bearing
- Make sure the bearings are well greased
- If you go in the salt, make sure you rince, clean and dry the truck very well afterward. Avoid salt/brine as much as possible
- Silicon spray the whole truck (avoid electronics) to limit rust
- Be prepared to have more breakages.
- Never tried them, but it seems paddle tires are a must for snow bashing.

It is a lot of work indeed. Many people love it, but the cleaning work required, plus the fact you need to clean it in the house is a bit of a pain.

I ran my K6S a couple of times in the snow, but I find there is too much metal that will rust in the 6S platform. A Granite as a winter basher with paddles and a cover is probably the best option since it's light and there is not a lot of metal on it.

- Use a cover like Dusty Motors or something comparable
- If you have a V2, change ALL bearings for rubber sealed bearing
- Make sure the bearings are well greased
- If you go in the salt, make sure you rince, clean and dry the truck very well afterward. Avoid salt/brine as much as possible
- Silicon spray the whole truck (avoid electronics) to limit rust
- Be prepared to have more breakages.
- Never tried them, but it seems paddle tires are a must for snow bashing.

Great idea on the silicon spray!

Fortunately, we do have a washtub I could use to rinse the rig off after pounding snow.

Rpm arms a must.
Tires vented on the rubber a must
Ceramic spray is better then silicone
Rubber sealed bearings another must

Dusty cover will make you overheat very fast. I taped flaps from the body that overhung the front mud flaps and velcro the sides of the body.

Keeps jumps low and absolutely do not run in the road if your state uses salt.

When done before taking car in blow snow off with air compressor and take inside and flip it upside down to drip dry or what I do is take it to my basement and throw it in the dryer... jk don't do that... but I bend a hanger to hold it and put it in front of a vent to dry. When I want it to dry fast to put away I flip it upside and directly set it on a vent. I put towels around the vent so my carpet doesn't get wet. But with the ceramic coat which unfortunately I found out about late in the year... it will be dry after the air compressor part. You have to reapply every few outings in the snow with it.
Have fun don't be afraid to drop a video.

Btw terrible video it was my first

Rpm arms a must.
Tires vented on the rubber a must
Ceramic spray is better then silicone
Rubber sealed bearings another must

Dusty cover will make you overheat very fast. I taped flaps from the body that overhung the front mud flaps and velcro the sides of the body.

Keeps jumps low and absolutely do not run in the road if your state uses salt.

When done before taking car in blow snow off with air compressor and take inside and flip it upside down to drip dry or what I do is take it to my basement and throw it in the dryer... jk don't do that... but I bend a hanger to hold it and put it in front of a vent to dry. When I want it to dry fast to put away I flip it upside and directly set it on a vent. I put towels around the vent so my carpet doesn't get wet. But with the ceramic coat which unfortunately I found out about late in the year... it will be dry after the air compressor part. You have to reapply every few outings in the snow with it.
Have fun don't be afraid to drop a video.

Btw terrible video it was my first
Got a link to the ceramic stuff your talking about?

If you do big air jumps, make sure you have soft snow to land on. Snow is great for big jumps, but cold is bad for big landings. Even when landing on all 4's, even worse when you don't.

Even with rubber shielded bearings, they will lock up if you don't hit them with wd-40 after they are dried. I usually put my trucks in the tub, then hit them with the handheld sprayer to get all the standing snow off. Then I shake them to get most the standing water off important areas like the servos, esc's, receiver area, visible bearing areas. Then pull the wheels and hit the bearings/joints with canned air and WD-40/light oil the bearings I can see. Then I put them in front of a fan to fully dry.

As mentioned, definitely vent the tires. Snow melts, slush is around and tires soak it up then get all off balance, then blow off the rim or damage the arms/shocks due to being so out of balance.

Me looking out the window, I see it's supposed to be 45F and it's sunny today, so let's take a quick rip up and down the street.

20201204_163457.jpg

I just got done running one pack through my Granite in some light snow and slush. I have a brand new Surpass 120 amp esc and surpass motor. My esc automatically turns on when I plug in a battery and just stutters when I try to go forward. I blew all the snow out after the run with my air compressor. This esc is supposed to be water proof. I only ran on 2s so there’s no way it could have overheated. There’s no salt or ice in the motor and mount. The receiver was completely dry.

I’ve been having a lot of fun. I don’t drive it in deep snow that’s too risky. But I’ve been clearing out a spot and ramping it. I’ve had no breaks yet but I’m not going too crazy. I bring it in and clean it and do it again the next day

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back