Working parents and home schooling ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put them in the car and take a drive through the trailer park side of town. Then take them home and explain that the only reason why you don't live in a trailer is because you have an education and are of value to your employer.

Either they'll get it or they won't.

Unless they think you'll keep supporting them through their 20s. May need to have a chat about that too..
Not quite ready for that chat just yet. They’re only 7 and 10, but it will be on the horizon.

Yeah, they're a couple years young for that one. ?

They're at a tough age to deal with, good luck.
Yeah they are. We play so much that when it’s time for me to be serious it back fires ?

So one thing my Dad did with my lil sis years ago, is setup the network and router to restrict certain access. (10 year age gap) You can can set it up to only allow the connections for schooling say, but restricted/block all other URL's and sites. Pretty effective for her, as she finished up what needed to, so she could interact with friends or make sure to up to date with the latest on youtube... Maybe something to look into?

So one thing my Dad did with my lil sis years ago, is setup the network and router to restrict certain access. (10 year age gap) You can can set it up to only allow the connections for schooling say, but restricted/block all other URL's and sites. Pretty effective for her, as she finished up what needed to, so she could interact with friends or make sure to up to date with the latest on youtube... Maybe something to look into?
It’s not exactly the issue I have with getting them to do things while at home. Shutting off the internet works well. Leads to tears but works. It’s the home schooling that I cannot do whilst I’m at work working. If I need the leave the building for “x” amount of hours then how are they supposed to do their online stuff? It’s too much to put on to the parent.

for example if I was still working for the dealer there is no way that I’d be able to bring them to work or even dedicate part of the day to assist them. Now if I lived in a city that had the 14 day quarantine issued then I could devote my time.

It’s not exactly the issue I have with getting them to do things while at home. Shutting off the internet works well. Leads to tears but works. It’s the home schooling that I cannot do whilst I’m at work working. If I need the leave the building for “x” amount of hours then how are they supposed to do their online stuff? It’s too much to put on to the parent.

for example if I was still working for the dealer there is no way that I’d be able to bring them to work or even dedicate part of the day to assist them. Now if I lived in a city that had the 14 day quarantine issued then I could devote my time.
Got ya, can't be 2 places at once, no one can! Yea, doesn't seem
You guys might as well come to grips that the school year may be over. They may never go back until fall.
I heard out here they could extend into a 'Summer School' to catch back up. Again just talk out in the Colorado area with a possibility... ?‍♂️

Yep interesting times ahead. I need to upgrade either my router or access point to get some better access management going on. I have internet restrictions based on mac addresses for certain times of the day, but it is a pain to tweak them up. Once entered you can't edit and need to remove and re-add.
Thinking something like a Google Mini.... or I'll just get a separate access point for all their devices and turn it off when they play up.

Now if only I could remotely control the volume on tablets... that would me most happy. All the kids videos seem to have screaming / squealing/ dribbling 80% of the time.

We have younger kids (7, 5 and 1). We motivate our 7 and 5 year-old by having them complete their work early in the morning, only for one hour, in exchange for one hour of screen time. If the teachers assign more than one hour of work, we filter through it and find what we consider to be the more important stuff. We stop working after an hour, no questions asked.

Our kids' teachers seem to post non-academic assignments such as "take a picture of yourself with an Easter object" and other tasks which seem to be of little importance and demand lots of time from the parents. We often cut those out if we are short on time.

School expectations will drop. How are the teachers supposed to correctly assess what the students can do, when their parents are the ones overlooking, correcting, and at worst, doing the work for the kids? I think everyone is entitled to calm down a bit about this home-schooling bit.

Porschetech, This is for you:D Trade workers will always make money.

Attachments

• 108.jpg
    108.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 36
My only issue is dealing with my cat trying to climb onto my lap while I work... but since I typically work from home 4 out of 5 days every week... one more day a week isn't really affecting me much.

My wife being home for 14 days after getting the sniffles (works at a dr's office, so still working) really put a wrinkle in my work day. I'm used to quiet... living in a 3 bedroom apartment with her yapping on the phone all day, wandering into the office to jabber because she's bored or the TV is loud because she's deaf as a post... those were my issues. Now she's going back to work and we both worry she will end up with covid...

I'll just be glad when this thing is done.

My only issue is dealing with my cat trying to climb onto my lap while I work... but since I typically work from home 4 out of 5 days every week... one more day a week isn't really affecting me much.

My wife being home for 14 days after getting the sniffles (works at a dr's office, so still working) really put a wrinkle in my work day. I'm used to quiet... living in a 3 bedroom apartment with her yapping on the phone all day, wandering into the office to jabber because she's bored or the TV is loud because she's deaf as a post... those were my issues. Now she's going back to work and we both worry she will end up with covid...

I'll just be glad when this thing is done.
I have worked from home for years now, so this isn't new for me. Having my girlfriend and adult son working from home is another thing. The both are on conference call meetings all day long yapping non-stop. God forbid I try to watch a video anywhere in the house because it disturbs their level of noise. I lost my desk, until 5PM each day, so I can't get my "work" done until then. I can remote into my desktop with my laptop, but its not the same. Laptop doesn't have enough speed to do video editing. Then I get bitched at for having all my stuff that's usually in my office all over the living room. Well if I didn't get kicked out of my work space, it wouldn't be everywhere else. If this COVID sh!t doesn't end in a few months, we need a much bigger house. ???

I have worked from home for years now, so this isn't new for me. Having my girlfriend and adult son working from home is another thing. The both are on conference call meetings all day long yapping non-stop. God forbid I try to watch a video anywhere in the house because it disturbs their level of noise. I lost my desk, until 5PM each day, so I can't get my "work" done until then. I can remote into my desktop with my laptop, but its not the same. Laptop doesn't have enough speed to do video editing. Then I get bitched at for having all my stuff that's usually in my office all over the living room. Well if I didn't get kicked out of my work space, it wouldn't be everywhere else. If this COVID sh!t doesn't end in a few months, we need a much bigger house. ???
That's how I work on my work laptop, I remote dt into it so I don't have to set everything up constantly. Luckily, the monitors have dual plugs and the docking station has opposing plugs, so it remembers the monitor size and location without me having to do anythign but login to it. Makes using the camera for online meetings a pain... the laptop is 5 feet away from me... I just shut off the camera anyway.

So I don't have kids but my brother and his family live nearby and he and his wife are furious at their school. We live in Washington state and they just cancelled school for the rest of the year for public schools. My nephew is 6 and he's enrolled in a private school and they are physically closed for the year but are still doing classwork having the parents administer it from home. They have lesson plans and schedules and all these requirements where you have to log X amount of time doing X subjects with your kid as well as all the normal coursework and tests and once a week they expect you to show up at the school between 8 and 9am (they assign you a day) to turn in all the coursework and pick up the next weeks worth of work and this will continue for the rest of the year.

My brother works in healthcare administration so he's buried in stuff right now and his wife is a stay at home mom but in addition to the 6 year old they also have a 3 year old and she's 7 months pregnant and will be having the baby right around when the school year ends. Between the both of them they are barely able to accomplish what they are required to do for the school.

So during this lockdown they are doing all the teaching work while the school is just facilitating curriculum and they still have to pay the full 800/mo for tuition and can't get out of it due to the contract. The situation is what it is and so they accept that but what has them most mad is while everyone still is paying full price, the school still laid off most of the teachers and staff due to lockdown and only keeping a few on part time to help with the course work stuff.

So summary is 1 extremely busy working parent, 1 mom in 3rd trimester pregnancy and also caring for another toddler, having to pay full private school tuition to a school that has laid off most of it's teachers and staff and is making parents do all the work. Don't pay you breach contract and can't enroll next year, don't do the work they flunk your child holding them back a grade.

So I don't have kids but my brother and his family live nearby and he and his wife are furious at their school. We live in Washington state and they just cancelled school for the rest of the year for public schools. My nephew is 6 and he's enrolled in a private school and they are physically closed for the year but are still doing classwork having the parents administer it from home. They have lesson plans and schedules and all these requirements where you have to log X amount of time doing X subjects with your kid as well as all the normal coursework and tests and once a week they expect you to show up at the school between 8 and 9am (they assign you a day) to turn in all the coursework and pick up the next weeks worth of work and this will continue for the rest of the year.

My brother works in healthcare administration so he's buried in stuff right now and his wife is a stay at home mom but in addition to the 6 year old they also have a 3 year old and she's 7 months pregnant and will be having the baby right around when the school year ends. Between the both of them they are barely able to accomplish what they are required to do for the school.

So during this lockdown they are doing all the teaching work while the school is just facilitating curriculum and they still have to pay the full 800/mo for tuition and can't get out of it due to the contract. The situation is what it is and so they accept that but what has them most mad is while everyone still is paying full price, the school still laid off most of the teachers and staff due to lockdown and only keeping a few on part time to help with the course work stuff.

So summary is 1 extremely busy working parent, 1 mom in 3rd trimester pregnancy and also caring for another toddler, having to pay full private school tuition to a school that has laid off most of it's teachers and staff and is making parents do all the work. Don't pay you breach contract and can't enroll next year, don't do the work they flunk your child holding them back a grade.
I must have gone to stupid school... when I was 6, there wasn't "course work" other than:
1) don't eat the crayons
2) don't pull girls hair
3) get your finger out of your nose
4) farts are not funny
5) don't eat the crayons

I must have gone to stupid school... when I was 6, there wasn't "course work" other than:
1) don't eat the crayons
2) don't pull girls hair
3) get your finger out of your nose
4) farts are not funny
5) don't eat the crayons
Right?! Brother chooses private because he wants them no where near the common core stuff.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back