Worst RC Ever!!??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah to make the Merv a decent vehicle you have to replace everything with upgrade or aftermarket parts. I bought mine used with a bunch of upgrade parts but even after tossing another $300 in parts at it I still hated it.
Including the 3.3! Only thing left that was stock on that fuggin thing was the diff housings😂

Including the 3.3! Only thing left that was stock on that fuggin thing was the diff housings😂

I'm talking about the 1/16 Traxxas E-Revo not the 1/10 scale nitro.

I'm talking about the 1/16 Traxxas E-Revo not the 1/10 scale nitro.
I know! :LOL: Does my "3.3" look stock? :ROFLMAO:

Picture367.jpg

Wow surprised to see so many Losi entries in here. I've always eyed their trucks, but the crap ton of screws required to remove the body panels, along with the bottom loading battery system always turned me away. The only losi rig that looks fairly simply to access and work on is the Tenacity TT/DB platform

Out of the box the Vorteks is better value, but being as how both need basically the same upgrades at the end of the day the Traxxas will be better, because you can actually find upgrade shocks and there is an option for a center diff. Sure the stock electronics suck the big one on the Traxxas.

You are best off buying a Rustler 4x4 slider and adding your own parts.

Funny you mention the driveshafts, I constantly popped the driveshafts on my Typhon, then before I retired it they started breaking. I have a set of the Traxxas HD driveshafts on my Rustler that runs the Arrma BLX100 system and they don't even look used after 6 months of abuse. 🤷‍♂️
The rustler already came with HD driveshafts. The fronts snapped on tumbles and the rear over time. I could see the hole getting bigger and bigger without me being able to do anything and boom they gone..

I started this hobby with a Traxxas Slash Ultimate. At one of the first runs i broke one of the plastic telescopic axles. I replaced all of them with the XO-1 CVD's. €160 for all 4.
The CVD's held up fine and they still do. Now they break from wear and tear.
Then i ran 3S. The whole system ran extremely hot. I mounted a MMX6S and 2650 motor. Ran it on 3S and the plastic motor mount had so much flex under the power of that motor, that it destroyed the plastic spurs. The chassis bent so much in minor crashes that the stock alu center driveshaft bent. I searched the internet for a t2t brace, but couldn't find anything sturdy, untill early 2021 (i think) Traxxas introduced their own brace, which was excellent. I still use that one. I replaced the plastic motor mount with the OEM alu one. It not only held up to the 2650 CC motor on 3S, but it definitely contributed, combined with the brace, to a very solid chassis. And i no longer stripped the plastic spurs. They are holding up very well now.
I stripped so many plastic wheel hexes, i tried their OEM alu ones. To no avail, they still stripped wheels and the hexes themselves still rounded.
I kept breaking stub axles. I finally realised they couldn't handle any forces from the sides. A bad landing or another car to the side, and even sliding, the car broke the stub at the threads.
I replaced them with the thicker XO-1 stubs. They were 6 instead of 5mm. Worst thing, the threaded part was still 4mm. They still brake.
The A-arms are flimsy at the inner hinge pins and break easily. The outer hinge pins tend to flip out of the arms when jumping the car. I solved that by putting longer ones, that stick out about 1.5cm. Just enough to still fit within the wheels.
The slipper clutch wore fast with the CC system so i did the Revo slipper upgrade.
By the time i had a reliable car, i was €1200 in, in total. But it was a fun car, easy to work on and the A-arms are cheap. I just stock up on arms and stubs.
Finally i added the Proline bash armor SCT body.
That made the car bash proof, untill the body mounts kept breaking. So i tried the Proline body mounts with screw caps. But the body is so thick, and Proline apparently isn't smart enough to extend the threads to make up for the extra thickness, so they didn't fit and kept popping off.
I finally had enough and mounted the body by sticking M8 bolts through the mounts and body.
That held extremely well.
A year later i bought a second one and immediately copied the setup with the exact same parts. That i probably shouldn't have done, but i only had one car and my oldest daughter likes driving it so much, i thought to get another one, to run together. Now i have two massively upgraded Slashes, a Mojave and another almost completed Mojave build.

Arrma Granite Voltage. It was my entry into the hobby and I loved it at first. The idea of upgrading it was so exciting.

But it just couldn’t handle more power no matter what I did. Honestly I almost gave up on the hobby.

Decided to try one more car, a Typhon 3S, and had a totally different experience.

The amount of time and money I’ve spent since then is pretty extreme, and I’m totally okay with that!
Haha one mans trash is another mans treasure! I always loved that saying. Applies here because the typhon 3s would definitely be my answer to this thread. It's my only rc regret.

Haha one mans trash is another mans treasure! I always loved that saying. Applies here because the typhon 3s would definitely be my answer to this thread. It's my only rc regret.
Well yea when you slap an xlx2 in it! 😆

-------

Going to have to say the 1/18th ECX Ruckus is on my list. Was not built to even handle the brushed motor it came with, the plastic diff's failed shortly after..

Fun little RC when it ran.

1676943472443.png

Last edited:
Well yea when you slap an xlx2 in it! 😆

-------

Going to have to say the 1/18th ECX Ruckus is on my list. Was not built to even handle the brushed motor it came with, the plastic diff's failed shortly after..

Fun little RC when it ran.

View attachment 279911

Hey I already posted that one :ROFLMAO:

I'd like to reply to this thread but I can't remember all the rc's I've owned. I got tired at throwing money at the 5th scale rigs. For now my aarma 3's are probably the best I've owned. I've had a few nitros that were a pos and always breaking.

Man I have heard so many people say that thing is fragile. And I’ve heard so many people say it’s the toughest thing on the planet.

🤷‍♂️
Plastic parts is durable but the drivetrain leaves much to be desired.

I forgot to say that the body is very fragile, almost mandatory upgrade is an unbreakable body.

2wd rustler. It was always something… odd seeing some people not liking the merv, mine on 3s was still an absolute tank, almost never broke. I had hd arms and that’s about it from my memory.
Only run my merv on 2s, besides a broken a-arm I have hardly had to work on them.

Arrma 3s line is under maintenance far more often. I think mine has the later version bulkhead though (they tightened up the tolerances)

2wd rustler. It was always something… odd seeing some people not liking the merv, mine on 3s was still an absolute tank, almost never broke. I had hd arms and that’s about it from my memory.

I find it strange that some people didn't like the Rustler, I have only broken a rear camber link and the steering bell crank on mine since August but it was built from the ground up not bought.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back