XLX2 issues running sensored setups

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I‘m a little spooked by all of the reports lately as well. I was also thinking of running sensorless, which really sucks because I was very much looking forward to all the great things I’ve heard about sensored setups.

Glad you haven’t had problems. A couple here have done the motor disassembly and cleaned everything with contact cleaner, etc., as well as replace sensor cables to no avail. I really would prefer to run sensored. So many say it’s such a great upgrade and everything is just butter. I can’t say that it’s a definitive common denominator, but it seems as though most that have the problems are those using the rigs as bashers, not speed runners. Maybe repeated starts are the issue, or have some bearing on it?

And I think you mentioned in another thread that you’re now experiencing warranty issues, and that they said it was “user error” or something. That makes the whole thing a bit more concerning for sure.
I'm having a little trouble following the reasoning here...so if I'm understanding your concern correctly from the posts in this thread, there are reports from people who were using an XLX2 in sensored mode and it worked fine for a while and then, at some point, the motor and ESC would only work if the sensor wire was removed and just run in unsensored mode. In response to this, the idea is to, perhaps, just only run it unsensored so this doesn't occur? So in both scenarios, you arrive at the same end state of only being able to run unsensored but in one of the scenarios you get to drive sensored for a while and in the other you don't because you just never try it? Am I understanding this correctly?

If yes, then I cannot make sense of why you wouldn't use sensored for the time that you can (this, of course, is all under the presumption that it wouldn't just work continuously based on a couple of anecdotal reports), even if just to see what the difference is. Moreover, I don't quite understand the readiness to, essentially, throw in the towel and concede territory to Castle that they can just sell us a product for not little money where one of its core features can just stop working for no reason and that this is just assumed to be the consumer's problem...all before even trying it out? I don't get it. That makes no sense to me. This just makes me want to use my motors in sensored mode even more (I'm not sure that's possible because I'm pretty sure I always use my Castle motors in sensored mode as it already stands but I shall re-double my efforts to ensure I'm definitely doing it).

I'm sorry but, Castle can't just make, what clearly sounds like either a manufacturing or (more likely) programming/software/firmware issue, MY problem. That's not at all how this works. Their ESCs and motors are designed and advertised as being sensored setups and, if you want to use it as such, you shouldn't feel like you're walking on eggshells to use their product as advertised. You gave them your hard earned cash in exchange for a product that does this, this, this and this (as advertised). That's a binding agreement aka contract. You've upheld your end of the bargain and should have no trepidation about them upholding theirs.
I haven't contacted them since they replaced my xlx2 that was the replacement for the one that burst into flames. It was the 2nd time I had ever contacted them for warranty and they told me I should gear below stock and "we can't keep sending you xlx2's". He was interested in the data logs and I sent them, they showed the xlx2 died without even going above like 250 amps or so but I never heard anything back from him. I've been dreading having to contact them about an xlx2 again.
Sorry, but I would have responded with, "Yeah that's fine. And you can stop sending me XLX2s as soon as you send me devices that work as advertised. I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary and you can't just make a fault in your product my problem like this. Your warranty has conditions and a framework and there aren't any clauses that stipulate if the schmuck, me, uses your product as intended, that you have the right to arbitrarily change the conditions of my warranty claim parameters and my parameters only. That's not how warranties work. I know my rights. I have no interest in making a legal matter out of this but I will if you force me to. I'm only asking to receive the product you advertise and I paid for. That's all I ask for and there's nothing unreasonable about that."

They can go pound sand if they think that's an acceptable solution to their problem. But that's just me.
This is concerning. Telling you to gear below stock is akin to saying "the stock esc was capable of gearing our xlx2 isnt". The "we can't keep sending you xlx2s" kind of suggests they know there is a problem, they know they haven't fixed it yet, therefore they also know the replacement won't last long either.

Dafuq I get myself into here?
Honestly, I wouldn't get all hot and bothered about it. Just use your ESC as though this conversation here had never occurred and just cross the bridge of how to deal with it should it become necessary when you get there. I can't exclude the possibility that it might, but I wouldn't operate under the assumption that it will. As I already wrote, I have two XLX2s in action, both running sensored mode 95% of the time and everything is fine. Don't pull an Amber Heard and :poop: the bed before it's time. :LOL:

I'm dropping about a grand in a power train alone. I bought the XLX2 based on its reputation not even a week after I get it, I find Raz burned out using it and the same TP motor I ordered(and canceled). Since then, I've trying to find a motor with high enough KV. Sourcing classifieds here and in other groups with no luck. There is one brand new one I can get tomorrow if I want it, TP5670 1450kv. But word going around is a bunch of scientific equations basically saying 6 pole+exceeding 30k rpm with a motor designed to do 51k or 85k+more than 1400kv=marshmallow time! Then we have customer service saying "gear below stock" etc.
I bought this esc thinking she was capable of even what I throw at it. But trust me, my faith has been shaken here. But you are right about one thing, no need to make mountains out molehill just yet. But really..I'm so indecisive about motors to pair with it that I check my junk throughout the day to ensure I haven't magically become a female.

I'm dropping about a grand in a power train alone. I bought the XLX2 based on its reputation not even a week after I get it, I find Raz burned out using it and the same TP motor I ordered(and canceled). Since then, I've trying to find a motor with high enough KV. Sourcing classifieds here and in other groups with no luck. There is one brand new one I can get tomorrow if I want it, TP5670 1450kv. But word going around is a bunch of scientific equations basically saying 6 pole+exceeding 30k rpm with a motor designed to do 51k or 85k+more than 1400kv=marshmallow time! Then we have customer service saying "gear below stock" etc.
I bought this esc thinking she was capable of even what I throw at it. But trust me, my faith has been shaken here. But you are right about one thing, no need to make mountains out molehill just yet. But really..I'm so indecisive about motors to pair with it that I check my junk throughout the day to ensure I haven't magically become a female.
There are different views on the large can TP motors and how far you can push them. I've heard stay below 30k RPM, but I've just as well heard that going well past that isn't an issue so, pick up the shards of your faith and don't get too down because of a few anecdotal experiences. And totally ignore the comment about gearing below stock...that CS rep was out of his mind to say such a thing, I'd have told him to get Patrick on the phone so we can clear up if this is, in all seriousness, their suggestion for how I'm to use their flagship ESC because it can't handle the stock gearing of my car and, if so, whether he's taken leave of his senses. Gearing below stock with one of, if not the most powerful ESCs available is a non-starter and non-negotiable. It was never said to you personally so, as far as you're concerned, nothing like that has ever been said.

Don't get it twisted. The XLX2 is an amazing ESC and can put out an insane amount of power. Yes, there are some constraints surrounding 6-pole motors but I don't think the whole KV & RPM max thing is as cut and dry as you may think atm. Beyond that, the 56xx and 58xx motors have ungodly amounts of torque and, as such, can handle tall gearing a lot better.

I'm having a little trouble following the reasoning here...so if I'm understanding your concern correctly from the posts in this thread, there are reports from people who were using an XLX2 in sensored mode and it worked fine for a while and then, at some point, the motor and ESC would only work if the sensor wire was removed and just run in unsensored mode. In response to this, the idea is to, perhaps, just only run it unsensored so this doesn't occur? So in both scenarios, you arrive at the same end state of only being able to run unsensored but in one of the scenarios you get to drive sensored for a while and in the other you don't because you just never try it? Am I understanding this correctly?
It’s just a bit of trepidation on my end, even if it might at this point be somewhat unjustified. Most have just quit working due to the sensor issue, but more than just a couple have gone out in a fire and I don’t want to risk burning the rig down. Also, this seems to be a relatively new issue with the XLX2, but it isn’t just here on AF (and not just limited to this thread, it’s popping up in other threads as well, that’s why I started this one) and there are others on FB and YT as well and it seems to be a more recent problem then say, the 6-pole/high-RPM scenario. Like your experience, most don’t ever see this issue. But some have experienced it multiple times. That might lead me to think it’s either a setup issue or the manner in which they’re used. I just was hoping for more information from others who’ve experienced the failures because I know next to nothing about the XLX2. I have a lot to learn, and a lot of experience to gain with Castle before I’m going to think I know what I’m doing.
And yeah, you might know me well enough at this point to assume that danger or no danger, I’ll definitely try running it in sensored mode. I don’t always error on the side of caution, and I didn’t special-order that TP 5670 sensored motor for nothing… 😂 In fact, I’m really looking forward to that setup.

It’s just a bit of trepidation on my end, even if it might at this point be somewhat unjustified. Most have just quit working due to the sensor issue, but more than just a couple have gone out in a fire and I don’t want to risk burning the rig down. Also, this seems to be a relatively new issue with the XLX2, but it isn’t just here on AF (and not just limited to this thread, it’s popping up in other threads as well, that’s why I started this one) and there are others on FB and YT as well and it seems to be a more recent problem then say, the 6-pole/high-RPM scenario. Like your experience, most don’t ever see this issue. But some have experienced it multiple times. That might lead me to think it’s either a setup issue or the manner in which they’re used. I just was hoping for more information from others who’ve experienced the failures because I know next to nothing about the XLX2. I have a lot to learn, and a lot of experience to gain with Castle before I’m going to think I know what I’m doing.
And yeah, you might know me well enough at this point to assume that danger or no danger, I’ll definitely try running it in sensored mode. I don’t always error on the side of caution, and I didn’t special-order that TP 5670 sensored motor for nothing… 😂 In fact, I’m really looking forward to that setup.
Atta boy! 💪 :LOL:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back