XLX2 issues running sensored setups

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan B.

Area man
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Granite
  3. Limitless
  4. Mojave EXB
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 6s
  7. Typhon 6s
So there are now three separate (current) threads with multiple users reporting issues running sensored setups with an XLX2. Multiple responses involving both Castle motors (15, 17, and 2028 series) and TP sensored motor users with the results all sounding pretty much the same. ”Ran great on sensored, then experienced problems after which the motors would only run on “sensorless” mode with the sensor cable removed.” Some returned under warranty, some didn’t. Two checked and cleaned the pin-outs for the sensor cable on both motor and ESC without joy.
I have a build coming up that will have a sensored TP 5670 1270kv running on an XLX2.
If anyone has anything to share in regard to personal history or even intelligent hypothesis on this subject I’d love to hear it.
Sadly, the ESC options are profoundly limited for speed running. It’s XLX2 or bust, right? That said (and here comes the hate and conflagration going forward) we don’t hear of anywhere near this level of consistently problematic and documented issues with any other ESC. And no, I’m in no way considering dropping good 1:1 used car prices on an MGM ESC.
Even if there is no solution anyone has found as of yet, any responses from those who have experienced this situation, or know of this situation, would be appreciated.

Thanks for the insight, going to be running my maiden voyage limitless XLX2 w/17 series this weekend. It’s nice to know of problem like that could occur ! I just wondering what other ESC would be up to the task and be as good as w/17 series motor ?

Last edited:
I’m glad to be informed on this issue. I am presently last nite shoe glued install in my limitless build XLX2 w/ 17 series this may very well occur to me as I purchased my XLX2 near end of last year , so if there’s been an updated version from Castle of which obviously by now are aware of the problem.
I’ve had my hand full running my infraction and ready to smash its system for something of an upgrade but not sure if I can swing another XL but I don’t feel any of my hobby wing esc would be up to the task. It seems I’ll regret spending almost 2 bills of money on anything less just to save $75 ..And I’m not even sure I’d miss sensorless. I guess it’s suppose to help longevity but my smaller monster X’s just died after + - 40 days with the wire. I’m frightened how long I’ll get outta this XL it’s an expense , if I can’t get more outta of it than the smaller monsters. I have my thermal laser gun and been remembering to use it more often these days. But What other ESC could be up to the task of running 17 series 100 mph plus all day?
You can update the firmware of your XLX2 to the latest version with Castle Link, so any reasonably recent XLX2 should be the same.
So just to be clear, you’ve lost more than one Castle ESC due to the sensor issue? Which ones were they? What was the setup, and what motors were you running?
Did you pursue a warranty claim with Castle on any of the failed units?

I just ordered the electrical contact cleaner to try and clean my pins but reading that it didn't work for others has me feeling less than hopeful now. A part of me is tempted to just swap the offending xlx2 into a rig that doesn't run sensored instead of dealing with warranty but it's a risk. Who knows if this is some small problem that could lead to something else.

I really don't understand why so many random things can go wrong with an xlx2. What makes it worse is the fact that castle really doesn't seem to be doing anything about ANY of the problems people are having. In fact, you might get blamed.

I just ordered the electrical contact cleaner to try and clean my pins but reading that it didn't work for others has me feeling less than hopeful now. A part of me is tempted to just swap the offending xlx2 into a rig that doesn't run sensored instead of dealing with warranty but it's a risk. Who knows if this is some small problem that could lead to something else.

I really don't understand why so many random things can go wrong with an xlx2. What makes it worse is the fact that castle really doesn't seem to be doing anything about ANY of the problems people are having. In fact, you might get blamed.
Yes, it seems to be frustrating for more than a few folks. I’ve yet to power up an XLX2 in a build, but I’m about to. At this point, I’m leaning toward not running on sensored mode at all, and just not hook up the cable until there Is a solution or a work-around. Especially since you said your TP motors run so smoothly on sensorless mode anyway.

To be honest, even though I haven’t personally had any issues with the 1721.. yet but I’ve had issues with the 1717.. but regardless. Most of us don’t even use the sensor part for speed running… anything else like bashing or tracking… I would

You can update the firmware of your XLX2 to the latest version with Castle Link, so any reasonably recent XLX2 should be the same.
So just to be clear, you’ve lost more than one Castle ESC due to the sensor issue? Which ones were they? What was the setup, and what motors were you running?
I cooked 2 of those monster Xs that came stock on my Kraton 6s a few years ago. The second one I called Castle because it didn’t last but about dozen runs. They said , nsend it to them. But they never fixed it or would replace it or even respond wether they even received it. I gave up on castle for till now. I have a castle link I suppose I should try it out.

Now I wonder if it was a sensor system if so maybe it was the issue. But Castle should have followed up at least give me an idea what was cooked. The first monster X lasted a long time.

Yeah the obvious of cleaning the Pinouts etc and the Hall effect sensor IC is first thing to do.
But in the big scope of things.... Could just be bad QC on the part of CC. I only run many HW Sensored ESC's. And had several issues with damaged leads/ dirty pinouts. Clean out the Sensor board inside the motor etc, Barely even visible , yet damaged leads happen. And all I needed was to clean out the Sensors at the Pinouts. Replaced a few Leads here and there, with success.
Yeah CC ESC's are pretty much the go to for speed running. No other options out there.
But I do run the HW 6s XR8-Plus motor Combo in my Lim. No I am not hitting great speeds.... Yet plenty fast enough for me however, where I speed run.
And all 4 of these HW ESC's have been flawless. I get limited Data logging with the HW APP.
CC's rather extensive Data Logging is pretty much why most go with CC for serious speed running, IMHO.

Last edited:
For what it is worth the Max4 is a decent 2nd option for a speed-running ESC. It just needs a higher voltage to perform its best.
Many of us already have 6s lipos so running it on 12s is not a hard thing to do.

It is massive and would only fit in a GT chassis, but is a second option to the XLX2.

I cooked 2 of those monster Xs that came stock on my Kraton 6s a few years ago.
I didn’t know any Arrmas that ever came stock with a Castle ESC, but I’ve only been in the game a few years. But if it wasn’t an XLX2, it’s a different conversation. How long ago was that, and what ESC was it?
For what it is worth the Max4 is a decent 2nd option for a speed-running ESC. It just needs a higher voltage to perform its best.
Many of us already have 6s lipos so running it on 12s is not a hard thing to do.
It is massive and would only fit in a GT chassis, but is a second option to the XLX2.
Yes, it’s massive. Even bigger than the XLX2, of which I’m currently thinking how to fit into an SWB GT build. Not as much real estate as an Infraction/Lim LWB platform, it ain’t easy, Probably going to go with one of those 45° mounts and hope it clears the body.

I'm more worried about just finding a motor to use with my XLX2. Already decided to go sensorless due the the issues reported within the Forum. And that kind of sucks because those who have working sensored setups report great anti-cog starts. And that would be ideal for speed runs. Seems to me that the XLX2s that are problematic only have the issue because users tried running sensored. And why wouldn't they? Sensored esc. Sensored motor. Makes sense except the equation is more: run sensored motor in sensored esc and have problems. I'm hoping that maybe if I don't run a sensored motor with the sensored esc I won't have issues.

Last edited:
I'm more worried about just finding a motor to use with my XLX2. Already decided to go sensorless due the the issues reported within the Forum. And that kind of sucks because those who have working sensored setups report grear anti-cog starts. And that would be ideal for speed runs. Seems to me that the XLX2s that are problematic only have the issue because users tried running sensored. And why wouldn't they? Sensored esc. Sensored motor. Makes sense except the equation is more: run sensored motor in sensored esc and have problems. I'm hoping that maybe if I don't run a sensored motor with the sensored esc I won't have issues.

You know, I don't know about other people but you might be onto something with at least my problems. I've had one XLX2 burst into flames, one die on the first pack under 10 minutes. And now one that doesn't work with the sensor wire plugged in.

The one thing they all had in common is I was using them in sensored mode. I've never had a problem with any of my other XLX2 and they're all sensorless.

Why is an anti-cog start important for speed running?
Smoother start? If the pull is important, then I would assume cogging is counter-productive. You have a fair point, a speed run isn't a race. Yet it's advised to use a slow pull(or throttle control/Perfect Pass) and cogging is more pronounced during that stage. Again, I'm assuming that can throw a few mph off in the few seconds most speed runs last.
Then again, although it's rare, I have been known to be wrong once awhile 😆

I've been running in sensored mode ever since I got my first MMX8S/1520 combo and still do if/when I'm running my 1717 or 1721. I've used it on two of my three XLX2s and I've never had a single issue with it on either one. I have to admit, I much prefer the smooth and and quiet starts from a standstill. The ESC transitions out of sensored mode as soon as you get rolling at which point, for all intents and purposes, you're running sensorless.

Since it hasn't been suggested to try as a fix, I figure it might be worth a try. Remove the end cap of your Castle motor and remove the sensored connector/PCB and give the PCB a once over and gentle cleaning with a small soft paint brush. That's where the hall effect sensors are located. Maybe something got caked with something. Even if it doesn't fix it, it's funny to see that your sensor cable appears to terminate into nothing on the inside of the motor and for a brief moment get the sense that sensored motors are a hoax...until you think about it for a half second longer.
Why is an anti-cog start important for speed running?
It's not important but, personally, I really like the soft starts.

I'm more worried about just finding a motor to use with my XLX2. Already decided to go sensorless due the the issues reported within the Forum. And that kind of sucks because those who have working sensored setups report grear anti-cog starts. And that would be ideal for speed runs. Seems to me that the XLX2s that are problematic only have the issue because users tried running sensored. And why wouldn't they? Sensored esc. Sensored motor. Makes sense except the equation is more: run sensored motor in sensored esc and have problems. I'm hoping that maybe if I don't run a sensored motor with the sensored esc I won't have issues.
I‘m a little spooked by all of the reports lately as well. I was also thinking of running sensorless, which really sucks because I was very much looking forward to all the great things I’ve heard about sensored setups.
I've been running in sensored mode ever since I got my first MMX8S/1520 combo and still do if/when I'm running my 1717 or 1721. I've used it on two of my three XLX2s and I've never had a single issue with it on either one. I have to admit, I much prefer the smooth and and quiet starts from a standstill. The ESC transitions out of sensored mode as soon as you get rolling at which point, for all intents and purposes, you're running sensorless.

Since it hasn't been suggested to try as a fix, I figure it might be worth a try. Remove the end cap of your Castle motor and remove the sensored connector/PCB and give the PCB a once over and gentle cleaning with a small soft paint brush. That's where the hall effect sensors are located. Maybe something got caked with something. Even if it doesn't fix it, it's funny to see that your sensor cable appears to terminate into nothing on the inside of the motor and for a brief moment get the sense that sensored motors are a hoax...until you think about it for a half second longer.

It's not important but, personally, I really like the soft starts.
Glad you haven’t had problems. A couple here have done the motor disassembly and cleaned everything with contact cleaner, etc., as well as replace sensor cables to no avail. I really would prefer to run sensored. So many say it’s such a great upgrade and everything is just butter. I can’t say that it’s a definitive common denominator, but it seems as though most that have the problems are those using the rigs as bashers, not speed runners. Maybe repeated starts are the issue, or have some bearing on it?
You know, I don't know about other people but you might be onto something with at least my problems. I've had one XLX2 burst into flames, one die on the first pack under 10 minutes. And now one that doesn't work with the sensor wire plugged in.

The one thing they all had in common is I was using them in sensored mode. I've never had a problem with any of my other XLX2 and they're all sensorless.
And I think you mentioned in another thread that you’re now experiencing warranty issues, and that they said it was “user error” or something. That makes the whole thing a bit more concerning for sure.

I‘m a little spooked by all of the reports lately as well. I was also thinking of running sensorless, which really sucks because I was very much looking forward to all the great things I’ve heard about sensored setups.

Glad you haven’t had problems. A couple here have done the motor disassembly and cleaned everything with contact cleaner, etc., as well as replace sensor cables to no avail. I really would prefer to run sensored. So many say it’s such a great upgrade and everything is just butter. I can’t say that it’s a definitive common denominator, but it seems as though most that have the problems are those using the rigs as bashers, not speed runners. Maybe repeated starts are the issue, or have some bearing on it?

And I think you mentioned in another thread that you’re now experiencing warranty issues, and that they said it was “user error” or something. That makes the whole thing a bit more concerning for sure.
I haven't contacted them since they replaced my xlx2 that was the replacement for the one that burst into flames. It was the 2nd time I had ever contacted them for warranty and they told me I should gear below stock and "we can't keep sending you xlx2's". He was interested in the data logs and I sent them, they showed the xlx2 died without even going above like 250 amps or so but I never heard anything back from him. I've been dreading having to contact them about an xlx2 again.

It was the 2nd time I had ever contacted them for warranty and they told me I should gear below stock and "we can't keep sending you xlx2's".
This is concerning. Telling you to gear below stock is akin to saying "the stock esc was capable of gearing our xlx2 isnt". The "we can't keep sending you xlx2s" kind of suggests they know there is a problem, they know they haven't fixed it yet, therefore they also know the replacement won't last long either.

Dafuq I get myself into here?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back