Kraton XT90’s getting hot 🥵

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jluther@becoinc

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
  2. Talion
I been using XT90’s on my rigs since I bought my first Kraton V2. They came stock then. What connector would be a size bigger. What kind do y’all use besides EC5?

How hot?
Good video here about xt90s tested.
If you're pulling 90 amps on average for the whole lipo (to which the xt90s are rated) then you'd be draining your lipos in a matter of like 4 to 5 minutes. If that's the case, then yeah you probably should upgrade.

You could also have an issue with a solder job which is causing excess heat.

For most 6s setups, XT90's are fine , what I stayed with.
You can always upgrade to QS8's. Most hardcore 8s speed run guys run these. Probably the best out there. Perfect Pass also has them.
What I noticed is that most connectors just wear out sparking, get dirty and all. they even can corrode from wet bashing. And that's one main reason they can get hot. These are consumable parts, and I usually replace them with the same and am good to go again. Assuming you don't have other ESC motor or Lipo issues causing Hot connectors. Improper gearing etc.
If running 8s setups, QS8's are the way to go. A major initial investment depending how many lipo packs you have and the amount of rigs/ESC's you have to deal with. QS8's also have spark arrestors when connecting them. Sparking causes undue wear to ALL connectors without "arrestors". Normal.
XT90's also come in an arrestor type design. XT90-S is compatble with Standard XT90's

QS8:
1691765383327.png

Spark arrestor type XT90-S above:
1691765451442.png

Last edited:
QS8 is the ones I couldn’t remember the name and there’s a lot of good information in the video. My connectors may just need replacing. I get my LHS to solder my ends on . Depending on which guy does it they usually do a good job. I have tried soldering but just don’t trust my ugly soldering. I just can’t get the feel for it! I keep trying and keep screwing up connectors.

I have single 6S connectors pulling 160A continuous and 1000 peak using EC5s which is fireproof plastic in comparison to XT90 nylon. 10AWG wires naturally get warm from high ambient temps, current transfer, and especially any high resistance connections. My Lipos are 140-150 degrees F at the end of a run. Hot is subjective and will "usually" end up with melting any soft joint first before destruction occurs.

IC5/EC5 are a little better. I usually melted those as well or de-soldered after having fun.
QS8 if you have bigger rigs or boats etc. It's my goto solution.

Use the Raz Shifrin from Amazon or get them from either Offshore electronics or SMC for a decent price.

Xt90 are more than enough for 6s use, and one that’s says otherwise is a fool or lying to themselves. Ic5/Ec5 are rated the same as Xt90, 90amps.

If all you’re doing is general running, bashing, and you’re having issues with Xt90s getting hot, there is resistance somewhere in your system and that resistance is causing the connector to heat up because it’s a separable connection. That resistance could be many things. As a few suggested, if you have a cold solder joint, that one joint is going to cause problems beyond just having a hot connector.

First thing I would do is double check ALL of my connections, regardless if they are soldered or not. Check every connector including fans, servo, esc etc. Verify that your connections are solid.

Next step would be to verify your current esc/motor setup and total power consumption. Now take that information and cross reference that with your lipo batteries and how much power they are capable of.

Are you running a single 6s, dual 3s? If your system is drawing more power than what can be supplied by your lipo/s, you’re lucky you only have a hot connector. Incredibly lucky.

Also go through your drive train. Make sure there is no binding and it moves freely. A bound drivetrain, even if it is a small amount of binding, will cause your setup to pull more power to push the rc to the desired speed, thus causing power consumption to go up and possibly making the weak point(your Xt90 connectors)to get hot.

This is my suggestion above. Do all this and let us know if you find anything or not.

I been using XT90’s on my rigs since I bought my first Kraton V2. They came stock then. What connector would be a size bigger. What kind do y’all use besides EC5?
If your connections are the same temp as the wires and batts, you are fine. If the wires and batts are hot and the connections are hotter, you have bad contact or a bad solder job. Bad contact is an easy sliding connection, you want to feel those bullets getting squeezed when you push the connectors together.

QS8 is the ones I couldn’t remember the name and there’s a lot of good information in the video. My connectors may just need replacing. I get my LHS to solder my ends on . Depending on which guy does it they usually do a good job. I have tried soldering but just don’t trust my ugly soldering. I just can’t get the feel for it! I keep trying and keep screwing up connectors.
I was crap at soldering was using a cheap soldering iron. got a more powerful soldering iron now its a lot easier

EC5 if soldered perfectly can handle 120amp C/200amp burst. Even the most demanding 6S rigs should only get the EC5 connectors warm, if they get hot they need a better solder job and especially if they de-solder themselves. My advice is to switch from XT90 to EC5 and use the torch lighter trick for perfect solder that creates low resistance flow of energy through connectors. For large heavy rigs 8S and above using 8gauge wire XT-150’s or EC8’s that handle up to 200amp Continuous and 400amp burst like 1/5th scale rigs or very high power setups like EDF jets. Remember you need the gauge of the power leads and the same rated connectors from battery all the way to the motor. Mixing gauges and connectors can create bottlenecks among other damage it can do

what’s wrong with qs-8s. Didn’t see u reference them. Bad experience. Inquiring minds must know. Lol

You didn't read all posts. QS8 is my choice, can handle 300A continuous, which I have happening on my boats. Overkill for bashers but I like to keep the connections all the same. I had many EC5 de-solder on me even with good solder joints. Just depends on how hard you bash. In my simple basher you peak at 150A, EC5 can tolerate 110A without too much heat and get exponentially hotter after that.

what’s wrong with qs-8s. Didn’t see u reference them. Bad experience. Inquiring minds must know. Lol
I have no experience with them and the Post said XT90’s getting too hot so why would I go to a connector I have no clue about. And I’m not sure what “Bad experience. inquiring minds must know” even means? I’m guessing English isn’t your first langue? Not trying to make fun it’s just kind of weird.

Must not b smackers
U must’ve gotten bullied in highschool. Not my fault. Lol
I was simply saying because u said bullets and ec5 so I ASSUMED u had a bad experience. My apologies genius

Must not b smackers
U must’ve gotten bullied in highschool. Not my fault. Lol
I was simply saying because u said bullets and ec5 so I ASSUMED u had a bad experience. My apologies genius
ESL and mentally handicapped, a great combination.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back