Kraton 2nd bash with a brand new K4S v2.5! My heart is bleeding :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Dales396lt4 Ahhh. Large garbage bag is exactly what I was missing today. Great idea! =)
Was a beautiful run! +1C when I started and around 0C in the end. So all that wet mud became ice. Fun! 😅

Did you end up using the stock (red aluminum) hinge pin mount again? Part #ARA320589. I have mine all apart on the workbench downstairs and I'm considering putting in something considerably stronger than the stock one. I don't think I'll order the M2C parts due to the exchange rate and the duty fees. If I can find the proper steel to work with, I will attempt to make one. The one that Dales396lt4 made looks pretty skookum. Cost effective, too!

@EOTR Yep, I have the red one. Wanted a quick repair, so ordered Arrma spares. This hinge pin mount does not look like a super complicated part. I plan to ask around if any of my friends work with metal and could create a proper one (front and back).
If you make precise measurements of these red parts at some point, please consider sharing =)

Front and back are different part numbers. Looks like they are slightly different? Not sure. I should have measured them when disassembling, ehh.

I am in the process of making both front and rear. The rear one is complete, the front one I should finish up within a day or two. I will share the measurements in the next post for you. Here's a couple of before and after photos...
*If you only want to make one of them, I suggest you make the front one because it is the one that will bear the brunt of those collisions more so than the rear one.

20240308_115020[1].jpg

20240309_130737[1].jpg

@EOTR Very nice! What material did you use?
And I agree, it definitely makes more sense to start with the front.

On a different note, I was wondering why Arrma would not use a tougher material for these holders. Just the price? Or is there something else?
Just thoughts aloud.

Also.
Attempt #2 😆
But this time it's TPU. It feels tough and flexible. I envision a bright future for it ahead.

1710169196875.jpeg

Okay, I just made the measurements, which are as follows: Rear pin holder - Total length: 66.1 mm. Outside hole centre to centre: 57.1 mm. Inside hole centre to centre: 29.9 mm. Front pin holder - Total length: 62.8 mm. Outside hole centre to centre: 53.8 mm. Inside hole centre to centre: 29.9 mm. I used an 11/64" drill bit for the outers, and a 5/32" for the inners. *The material I used is a steel plate which is 2.9 mm thick. I just cut out the pieces with a dremel and started from there. Note: I used a drill press which I have in the garage to drill all the required holes. If you are going to be using a hand held drill, be extra careful not to screw it up. I have sent along a couple of photos of the stock front pin holder. * I hope you have better luck with your latest rear wing!!

20240311_093113[1].jpg

20240311_093303[1].jpg

I often wonder if the wing is truly necessary. Regardless of what they are made of, they just keep breaking. I think if/when mine breaks, I will just either forget about it, or make up some wooden replacement. As far as the strap goes, I don't care for the stock versions, so I replaced them with some cheap overseas ones.

Also.
Attempt #2 😆
But this time it's TPU. It feels tough and flexible. I envision a bright future for it ahead.
Nice! I also have a wing printed out of TPU (by the looks of it, the same one you do) - while the wing itself is virtually indestructible, the only issue I ran into is the screws eventually tore out the mounting points on a high speed upside-down landing, rendering the wing un-mountable. Not wanting to toss it into the trash and print an entire new one, I printed some gigantic washers to sit between the screw head and the remaining (huge) holes, and eventually those pulled through as well.

My most recent attempt that so far has held up very well was making a new part (also TPU printed) that bridges the gap between the screw mounts to distribute the pulling to not just the screws, but the area in between. It's here if you want it: https://www.printables.com/model/847249-kratonoutcast-4s-wing-mount-support . The added bonus is that if they somehow tear through again, you just have to reprint one small part, and not the entire wing.

IMG_4593.jpeg

Last edited:
@Gedrick Your wing looks awesome! And great idea with making the mounting tougher/replaceable!

Sadly, my TPU wing finished its job today. It sends ❤️ to everyone!

View attachment 361475
Duuude I don’t know what kind of hits it would take to rip TPU like that lol, I printed mine with 6 bottom and 6 top layers and 60% infill and it’d probably take a chainsaw to cut through it!

@Gedrick Your wing looks awesome! And great idea with making the mounting tougher/replaceable!

Sadly, my TPU wing finished its job today. It sends ❤️ to everyone!

View attachment 361475
Duuude I don’t know what kind of hits it would take to rip TPU like that lol, I printed mine with 6 bottom and 6 top layers and 60% infill and it’d probably take a chainsaw to cut through it!

The way it's damaged.. with those fine hairline cracks and somewhat symmetrical split in the middle portion.
Looks to me to be PETG filament than TPU.

The way it's damaged.. with those fine hairline cracks and somewhat symmetrical split in the middle portion.
Looks to me to be PETG filament than TPU.
I didn’t even take a close look (viewing on a watch if you can believe it lol) but yeah looking at it now, that looks like a PETG or PLA crack. TPU wouldn’t do that unless you drove it backwards into a wood chipper 😂

Back