3D Printable Front Bumper for 3S & 4S Rigs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The whole thing was too thin and flimsy, even with 6 walls and 50% infill. I made a new version and will print before I post again to be sure. It’s gonna be a thick nose connecting the tower to the front blade
Hmmm mine came out pretty sturdy I thought. Also I was mistaken it was actually 25% infill, 4 walls, adaptive layers, and print speed of 30mm/s. I also forgot to mention that I set a modified infill overlap on the actual wing mounting ear for it to be printed at 100% infill.

I still have been working with my remix of your v1.0 file and getting print going now. If it comes out well enough to where I am satisfied with it I can share it back with you if you want in case there might be any elements you might like to incorporate.

Hmmm mine came out pretty sturdy I thought. Also I was mistaken it was actually 25% infill, 4 walls, adaptive layers, and print speed of 30mm/s. I also forgot to mention that I set a modified infill overlap on the actual wing mounting ear for it to be printed at 100% infill.

I still have been working with my remix of your v1.0 file and getting print going now. If it comes out well enough to where I am satisfied with it I can share it back with you if you want in case there might be any elements you might like to incorporate.
Just to clarify, it was the bumper that was flimsy, not the wing mount.

Just to clarify, it was the bumper that was flimsy, not the wing mount.
Well that's what I get for reading and posting here in the middle of the night when my eyes are barely able to stay open ????

@fpvmiller Yeah bumper being flimsy with TPU. Ignore all my posts that are contradicting his about it working for me, I was talking about the wing mount. I got my wires crossed since he was busting out designs like a madman all weekend with multiple threads for each and I mixed up them up when I was half awake...

I've tried to make a TPU bumper for a little WLToys 1/18 car and it was flimsy AF no matter what I did so I am interested to see the verdict on this once JD finishes up his prints and design adjustments.

Yeah this 95A Sainsmart TPU just isn’t very firm. I adjusted the front to 10mm thick and the bottom +2mm as well. Wondering if there is something just a little harder? Looks like Matter Hackers has 98A TPE.

Have you looked at taulman alloy or nylonx?
I can't do nylon or ABS in the house. Taulman I have heard of but don't know what it is. Here let me Google that...

Man that sh!ts expensive ?‍♂️?

I can't do nylon or ABS in the house. Taulman I have heard of but don't know what it is. Here let me Google that...

Man that sh!ts expensive ?‍♂️?
I have the taulman alloy 910 to try but waiting for other prints to finish up before I give it a spin. I hope it works well enough, 36 bucks for a 1 lb roll plus shipping was ehhhh to me but if I can get it dialed in and it holds up I think it's worth the money.

I have the taulman alloy 910 to try but waiting for other prints to finish up before I give it a spin. I hope it works well enough, 36 bucks for a 1 lb roll plus shipping was ehhhh to me but if I can get it dialed in and it holds up I think it's worth the money.
If it's the bees knees and prints on my E5, I will find a way to enclose and vent my printer.

@Camaroboy383 @fpvmiller Any tips/recommendations on a low cost DIY enclosure for a Ender 3? My printer is located in a small office and is pretty easy to regulate temperature in it alone and no issue with dust or moving air so I was going to try this nylon out without an enclosure, but if I end up needing one due to warping/adhesion difficulties then I was going to throw something together for cheap. I had the idea of using a rubbermaid plastic trash bin with a window lmao but I think I should probably put in a little more effort.

@Camaroboy383 @fpvmiller Any tips/recommendations on a low cost DIY enclosure for a Ender 3? My printer is located in a small office and is pretty easy to regulate temperature in it alone and no issue with dust or moving air so I was going to try this nylon out without an enclosure, but if I end up needing one due to warping/adhesion difficulties then I was going to throw something together for cheap. I had the idea of using a rubbermaid plastic trash bin with a window lmao but I think I should probably put in a little more effort.
They sell an enclosure for the E3 on Amazon for $85. It’s also foil interior for somewhat fire resistance. It was too small for my E5 so I sent it back.

i 3d printed one enclosure, and made my other enclosure out of wood.. the printed one is super simple but super time consuming.. i used clear shrink wrap for the panels.. the prints do have channels for plexi..

but heck.. in the beginning i used to just throw a contractor garbage bag over it..?

i 3d printed one enclosure, and made my other enclosure out of wood.. the printed one is super simple but super time consuming.. i used clear shrink wrap for the panels.. the prints do have channels for plexi..

but heck.. in the beginning i used to just throw a contractor garbage bag over it..?
I was thinking of creating something cheap out of PVP piping. I have a home made wooden stand for my printer right now and so it has a small footprint, about 4 inches wider on every side of the printer. I was thinking of getting some 1/2" inch PVP piping and joints to create a single piece frame with no moving pieces that I can simply just set down over the printer and lift off to remove. I could print some joints and screw them into the table so the "legs" have something to snap into to hold it in place so it doesn't fall over. I am just unsure about I could use for a clear material to be the windows/walls as I want it to be clear so I can actually see through it and tell what's happening, but don't want it to be expensive or complicated. I was going to take a stroll through the hardware store later this week to see what might work.

Looking to get away with spending no more than $20-30 dollars if that since I don't plan to use this as a permanent fixture.

I was thinking of creating something cheap out of PVP piping. I have a home made wooden stand for my printer right now and so it has a small footprint, about 4 inches wider on every side of the printer. I was thinking of getting some 1/2" inch PVP piping and joints to create a single piece frame with no moving pieces that I can simply just set down over the printer and lift off to remove. I could print some joints and screw them into the table so the "legs" have something to snap into to hold it in place so it doesn't fall over. I am just unsure about I could use for a clear material to be the windows/walls as I want it to be clear so I can actually see through it and tell what's happening, but don't want it to be expensive or complicated. I was going to take a stroll through the hardware store later this week to see what might work.

Looking to get away with spending no more than $20-30 dollars if that since I don't plan to use this as a permanent fixture.

frost king window shrink wrap... ?just don't shrink it to much it will warp the pipe..

frost king window shrink wrap... ?just don't shrink it to much it will warp the pipe..
Just watched a video on what this stuff is, this seems perfect for the application in mind. Thanks man!

OK, so my v3.1 bumper is now printing and I think this one will be pretty good. I had some nozzle issues last night and it set me back a day.

I gotta say I think this is going to be indestructible in TPU. Nose landings are going to be like a pogo stick. ??

Arrma Front Bumper with Tower 3.1.png

Arrma Front Bumper with Tower 3.1 (1).png
Arrma Front Bumper with Tower 3.1 (2).png

Attachments

• Arrma Front Bumper with Tower 3.1.stl.zip
    193.1 KB · Views: 98
Triangles are inherently strong for their shape. That should take a good impact up front now compared to the original. Looking good!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back