Outcast 4s Velo scratch build, LWB chassis (Old Yeller)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Velodromed You are more than welcome. Listen, when you said your funds were depleted and it's this close to Christmas, I couldn't let that stand. Also saw an opportunity to help a forum member and took it. Pretty sure anyone else would have done it.

So happy that Old Yeller is back up and running! Biggest return on investment for me because I love seeing people happy and know that they're happy.

Found my old TBone chassis protector so put it on. It’s a fairly thick HDPE type material which absorbs hard rock landings very well.

My wife and I hit the park earlier, I took Old Yeller and she took her big rock. I ran two, 4s and three, 3s packs through Old Yeller and Damn! The thing drives amazing…I love it! My wife went through one pack with her big rock in the same timeframe 😂 slow and steady my baby is.

3A00109F-738F-4E38-992D-E9CD343513D7.jpeg

2377D131-7495-43D2-BB2B-450C4D00D6E8.jpeg

769DFC32-136C-4EF6-8610-48EB09F7226B.jpeg

That chassis protector has seen some things ... PHEW! If T-Bone's reappearance is to be believed, is it worth it to get one for the Vorteks?
I live in an area that has a lot of decent sized, sharp rocks so for me, yes it’s good. It’s well used, been on a couple different builds. I have two new total. The others on my wife’s big rock. It still looks nearly new 😂

I’ve taken this car out most every day to the park. Tuning it, working out the kinks…Learning its carving style, how it handles at top speed (damn it’s fast!) and I started hitting jumps yesterday. There’s only two at the park. A four foot hill launch and a 2 1/2 foot hill launch. It sails beautifully, but I’ve done quite a few back and front flips that resulted in roof landings while learning how it reacts in the air. It’s freaking durable at least. I think I’m going to put the backflip LPs on it that I originally got for the 4s vorteks. I think those tires will be perfect on old yeller and the 4s Kraton tires best on the vorteks.
Yeah. We will see.
And I’ll start taking some pictures and video soon. Still learning the car right now so it’s a bit embarrassing to video.

Last edited:
That chassis protector has seen some things ... PHEW! If T-Bone's reappearance is to be believed, is it worth it to get one for the Vorteks?
Sitting here thinking…I make my own rock guards and other thinks from 1/8th” Kydex, so why not make chassis protectors from it. The standard size sheet should work for a swb chassis, I just need to find longer sheets for the LWB.

They definitely protect the chassis. I’ve had the TBone one on old Yeller since I first built him over a year ago. It took a lot of hits on the rocky ground I run it in then and it’s still taking hits on this heavier, 4s version now. I’ll take measurements and see if it’ll work tomorrow. First off I’ll make one for Thing as it really needs one. Then I’ll see if I can manage a LWB one.

Sitting here thinking…I make my own rock guards and other thinks from 1/8th” Kydex, so why not make chassis protectors from it. The standard size sheet should work for a swb chassis, I just need to find longer sheets for the LWB.

They definitely protect the chassis. I’ve had the TBone one on old Yeller since I first built him over a year ago. It took a lot of hits on the rocky ground I run it in then and it’s still taking hits on this heavier, 4s version now. I’ll take measurements and see if it’ll work tomorrow. First off I’ll make one for Thing as it really needs one. Then I’ll see if I can manage a LWB one.
Would you make it to cover the entire width or just the center kinda like the m2c version?

Would you make it to cover the entire width or just the center kinda like the m2c version?
Entire chassis bottom like the TBone ones were. They’ll have cutouts for the skids. I’ll post picks of the TBone ones tomorrow. I’m searching for sheets long enough to do the LWB and extra LWB. Do you have a 4s Kraton that you could measure the chassis?

Sorry, I do not- 6s only here
Entire chassis bottom like the TBone ones were. They’ll have cutouts for the skids. I’ll post picks of the TBone ones tomorrow. I’m searching for sheets long enough to do the LWB and extra LWB. Do you have a 4s Kraton that you could measure the chassis?

Sorry, I do not- 6s only here
Hmm, hadn’t thought of 6s cars. I’ll look at my Kraton and noto. Both have stock chassis’ thought. It would help protect the chassis. Mainly they sre good for the plastic 3s line which needs a little protection help.
Sweet, they have .080 thick, 24x12” sheets.

Last edited:
Not sure what you want to spend, but have you seen these?:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165285737739?hash=item267bcc350b:g:akgAAOSwq5pjyta-

They are about the best I’ve seen. He has a couple YouTube explanations for them too.
The company is RCMadLabz
Thanks for showing me that, it looks nice. All I’m making is a skid plate though, not a chassis brace. It’ll end up costing me around 10 bucks in material and 30 min labor. What I want to help ease is the hard impact of rocks from landing on them off of jumps big and small.

Last edited:
If I did get a chassis brace it would be the m2c one. Half the price and I trust their products. But I’ve seen no need for it so far. I don’t send my cars except for my light weight granite when we go to the skate park. I enjoy ground bashing with relatively small to medium natural jumps.

Now I did recently build a 4s vorteks thing and plan to hit bigger jumps with it. So that one probably needs a chassis brace. The m2c swb brace is around 50 bucks and looks really nice.

This car and the 4s vorteks Thing that I built are by far my favorite RCs. The only issue I’ve had was my fault, otherwise it’s been very solid. It jumps well but mainly I use it for ground bashing. I just got a new body for it, the same super durable jconcepts one it has now. I’ll just cut it lower to accommodate the taller 4s towers. I also will be hooking it up to my Radiolink rc4gs soon, which I love in the 4s Vorteks Thing. Later this year I hope to get a sensored esc/motor for it.

I swapped tires with Thing because I wanted to try out backflip lps on old Yeller. I found them to be nice, but actually prefer the copperhead lps for the way I like to drive it. The backflips are perfect on the swb 4s vorteks. That car stunts better then I can drive.

This car and the 4s vorteks Thing that I built are by far my favorite RCs. The only issue I’ve had was my fault, otherwise it’s been very solid. It jumps well but mainly I use it for ground bashing. I just got a new body for it, the same super durable jconcepts one it has now. I’ll just cut it lower to accommodate the taller 4s towers. I also will be hooking it up to my Radiolink rc4gs soon, which I love in the 4s Vorteks Thing. Later this year I hope to get a sensored esc/motor for it.

I swapped tires with Thing because I wanted to try out backflip lps on old Yeller. I found them to be nice, but actually prefer the copperhead lps for the way I like to drive it. The backflips are perfect on the swb 4s vorteks. That car stunts better then I can drive.
I really love the copperhead LPs on my K4s. Have a 1/2 worn set under the bench, and a fresh set on the rig!

I really love the copperhead LPs on my K4s. Have a 1/2 worn set under the bench, and a fresh set on the rig!
That’s great! I love hearing about your experiences with the 4s cars. What have you done about the sway bars by the way? And you’re running them without servo savers if I remember right?

That’s great! I love hearing about your experiences with the 4s cars. What have you done about the sway bars by the way? And you’re running them without servo savers if I remember right?
No saver in the K4s. Added one to the OC4s. Killed the servo in that one, but I jump and drive that one much harder. The k4s is a flat land speed around and dirt drifting rig. No issues with that one yet. Love how well it turns.

Nothing done with the sway bars, they are still stock.

No saver in the K4s. Added one to the OC4s. Killed the servo in that one, but I jump and drive that one much harder. The k4s is a flat land speed around and dirt drifting rig. No issues with that one yet. Love how well it turns.

Nothing done with the sway bars, they are still stock.
Thanks man! Same with mine. Old Yeller for ground bashing and Thing for sending and stunts. I’m going to try the direct link servo on old Yeller. May use gat AGFRC 55k hd servo I have but am wondering if the servo can take it, cost $115 so…yeah. Maybe I’ll try a kimbrough saver again and have better luck with it.

Thanks man! Same with mine. Old Yeller for ground bashing and Thing for sending and stunts. I’m going to try the direct link servo on old Yeller. May use gat AGFRC 55k hd servo I have but am wondering if the servo can take it, cost $115 so…yeah. Maybe I’ll try a kimbrough saver again and have better luck with it.
Yeah, hard to say to what level of servo would handle more. I use JX servos, so only $35. Not much of an investment if it breaks. I put the Kimbrough back on the OC, and next run noticed an immediate difference in the steering. Using a horn is so much nicer. Lol. Huge difference in grass, and fast street runs.

Had a blast at the park today running old yeller around, jumping off every bump and rock I could find. I did manage to break the chassis again though. I’m going to order another one from Jenny’s in a few minutes (no longer holiday poor 😉). Also bent a rear shock rod. I can buy two of them from Amazon or the hobby store for 11 bucks, or I can get a pair of Mojave shocks off of jennys for 16 bucks and simply swap the Springs. I did that on my 4S vorteks build and they work fantastic.

The below wreck is where I broke the chassis, I think. Or it could’ve been one of the ones before. I still can’t drive one-handed (lost my phone mount) and still suck at jumps. I should’ve been beating the vorteks because it’s more made for it. I think I’ll go ahead and get one of the m2c chassis braces. It’s the standard big rock chassis and 50 bucks doesn’t sound like so much when I think about the chassis I keep breaking.

17E78E15-1183-47C0-9288-48F804EA2D9F.jpeg

1D78574B-73DF-4601-977B-36BFB4911E35.jpeg

691A10E8-779D-4F87-B7CF-C879076B0539.jpeg

A18E3E96-E7E4-43E3-878E-111AC9553D89.jpeg

047E5DC8-4F10-4D85-AECB-F01DAE6B4908.jpeg

620D8319-35B0-43C5-B016-0D1A3A82EDCD.jpeg

B41AC25F-B5C5-41D7-9606-F9AEFA9A8DA5.jpeg

DD137EEF-6865-488F-8F47-7BC0745BC48F.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back