Acura Crankshaft Recall - Honda, Acura Recalling 250,000 Vehicles over Engine Stall Risk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerold

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
Here's the article that explains it. But the reality is the engine "stall" when the connecting rod and/or crankshaft and/or piston fragments. So yeah, it's sort of big mess.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a45893381/honda-acura-connecting-rod-defect-recall/

I ran this by a machinist friend of mine and he tells me it not a design flaw or materials defect, from the info he could find, but a tolerance issue. Precision grinding requires tight calibrations and if that is out your sort of hosed. So it's really a manufacturing issue. Meaning that if it's not affected it shouldn't be an issue.

Two things.

First if is you have a vehicle listed, you "should" receive a recall notice. But if you bought it used, private party or have no relationship with the dealer they may not find you. So ask the questions.

Second is I'm lucky enough to have on of the affected vehicles. I will take it in for the inspection and assuming they will drop the oil pan measure whatever and determine a course of action.

However, if they tell me it needs to get fixed, it's a long process and prone to a bunch of collateral damage that I won't see by anyone unless they get deep into the drive train. So I need to ask some questions.

So the question to you all is, if you was me and the repair is required would you keep the car?

Here's the article that explains it. But the reality is the engine "stall" when the connecting rod and/or crankshaft and/or piston fragments. So yeah, it's sort of big mess.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a45893381/honda-acura-connecting-rod-defect-recall/

I ran this by a machinist friend of mine and he tells me it not a design flaw or materials defect, from the info he could find, but a tolerance issue. Precision grinding requires tight calibrations and if that is out your sort of hosed. So it's really a manufacturing issue. Meaning that if it's not affected it shouldn't be an issue.

Two things.

First if is you have a vehicle listed, you "should" receive a recall notice. But if you bought it used, private party or have no relationship with the dealer they may not find you. So ask the questions.

Second is I'm lucky enough to have on of the affected vehicles. I will take it in for the inspection and assuming they will drop the oil pan measure whatever and determine a course of action.

However, if they tell me it needs to get fixed, it's a long process and prone to a bunch of collateral damage that I won't see by anyone unless they get deep into the drive train. So I need to ask some questions.

So the question to you all is, if you was me and the repair is required would you keep the car?

Holy crackers..
That's a Lot of vehicles /models for Acura..

I'd say get it repaired and unload the vehicle.
General Dealership technicians just aren't capable of complete engine tear downs and re-assemblies.. Not with high precision.
So you're just going to have the same or very similar issue(s)** down the road...

** or Worse-
Unforeseen collateral gremlins...
That'll rear its ugly head when you're completely out of warranty.

Holy crackers..
That's a Lot of vehicles /models for Acura..

I'd say get it repaired and unload the vehicle.
General Dealership technicians just aren't capable of complete engine tear downs and re-assemblies.. Not with high precision.
So you're just going to have the same or very similar issue(s)** down the road...

** or Worse-
Unforeseen collateral gremlins...
That'll rear its ugly head when you're completely out of warranty.

Sort of what I was thinking. Acura/Honda has some good tech, but they are not engine builders. Best case scenario is the swap the entire engine but there are so many little things that can go wrong. My machinist buddy mentioned the aluminum trans are have easy to wreck threads and they won't be doing threadserts, probably just leave the blot loose or whatever to get it off their rack.

I need to see what they say about the inspection and if it need repair.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back