Typhon And... we’ve got a Typhon now

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My guess is because it has taller tires?
Well you're right, but it's still much smaller than the Granite.
the tire size is just in the middle between the senton & granite.
Too bad they didnt release the sliding motor mount with this car, just so they could use other pinions.

I would guess this car would be slower as stock than the others in the family because of that, i wonder by how much.

Interesting. I'm not really interested by the buggy, i never liked the typhon body shape :D. But the longer a-arms and 1/8 wheel axle adapter, with the new wheel axle, could be a nice option to make a big rock wider with 2.8 proline badland, to make the big rock a truggy :D.

I should have wait before buying 2 set of a-arms :D

When i watch my big rock, i clearly see a traxxas inspiration, especially the front C-hub. But when i compare it to a traxxas chassis, arrma have done something better, more tough, not in the same state of mind than traxxas who use the same parts for brushed motor since more than 20 years.

Last edited:
I agree that it is a great looking car and I am fine with them using existing parts and everything to cover another class of vehicle. I just wish they would have chose a different name.

Totally agree. I would have chose Typhon Jr.

Interesting. so a buggy is 4mm wider? isnt the 6s Typhon/Senton are exactly the same?

Also, i just found out that the spur & clutch parts are a different parts than the older cars.. (it was already used on the BRCC apparently).
Anyone compared the two to understand what changed? I assume they are interchangeable.

Even on the 6s cars, the Typhon is a bit wider than the Senton. Per racing rules, the SCT needs to be a bit narrower than the buggy.

For the slipper, All the BLX3s share the same slipper, and the Mega 4x4 share another. The Mega is a single disk slipper riding on a 48p spur gear. The BLX3s slipper is more robust, it has 3 friction disks, with one being on the back side of the spur. Also, the Spur is 32p.
Mega slipper:
snap0427.jpg

BLX3s slipper:
snap0426.jpg

Even on the 6s cars, the Typhon is a bit wider than the Senton. Per racing rules, the SCT needs to be a bit narrower than the buggy.

For the slipper, All the BLX3s share the same slipper, and the Mega 4x4 share another. The Mega is a single disk slipper riding on a 48p spur gear. The BLX3s slipper is more robust, it has 3 friction disks, with one being on the back side of the spur. Also, the Spur is 32p.
Mega slipper:
View attachment 24899
BLX3s slipper:
View attachment 24898

They changed the spur gear on the BRCC from the Granite and Senton 3s. What’s different, I couldn’t tell you.

I like the look of the 3s Typhon, looks like a good entry level buggy.
Calling it Typhon when there's already the 6S Typhon does seem a little silly, but giving what looks like another nice option for people looking for a RC seems great to me.

The wheels are standard 1/8 buggy size and are 17mm hex so I'm guessing they'd fit the 6s Typhon ?

New Typhon also has shock tower guards, presumably replaceable sliders.

Yes i see, the Senton 4x4 have wheels with 4mm offset.

So if i want to convert my Senton 4x4 blx to 17mm hexes, apart from the hexes and wheel axle, i will also need to change to the longer arms? to make up for the loss of the 4mm in the wheel offset?

You know, the way I see it is the Traxxas model of business has done VERY well. So for a company (Arrma) that was about to vanish completely, this is smart business. Start a full line of more affordable rigs that perform better than the competition, are cheaper, and look good. Been very impressed with all of the vids of the new BLX vehicles. So much so that I bought a Senton 3S. We all love our 1/8 scale rigs, but they are $500 just to start. Look how well the Traxxas 1/10 sell, and the huge amount they make in parts! Arrma is starting to do the same. Get a fleet of more affordable rigs out there, make the money to expand all of their business models. Upgrade parts will come soon enough. Has been a short period of time that we all found out Arrma was not going away. This is business. It's way more sensible to Make money on a existing platform, and then expand! They will make a ton more money for R&D on larger scale vehicles buy selling the smaller scale ones like hotcakes.

Be patient, and try out some of the new rigs. They aren't really entry level at 50+ miles a hour! Pretty sweet actually! 1/10 is also able to race indoors, so go support your local shop, and show them your Arrma's! That will create more hype, and help the brand grow.

You know, the way I see it is the Traxxas model of business has done VERY well. So for a company (Arrma) that was about to vanish completely, this is smart business. Start a full line of more affordable rigs that perform better than the competition, are cheaper, and look good. Been very impressed with all of the vids of the new BLX vehicles. So much so that I bought a Senton 3S. We all love our 1/8 scale rigs, but they are $500 just to start. Look how well the Traxxas 1/10 sell, and the huge amount they make in parts! Arrma is starting to do the same. Get a fleet of more affordable rigs out there, make the money to expand all of their business models. Upgrade parts will come soon enough. Has been a short period of time that we all found out Arrma was not going away. This is business. It's way more sensible to Make money on a existing platform, and then expand! They will make a ton more money for R&D on larger scale vehicles buy selling the smaller scale ones like hotcakes.

Be patient, and try out some of the new rigs. They aren't really entry level at 50+ miles a hour! Pretty sweet actually! 1/10 is also able to race indoors, so go support your local shop, and show them your Arrma's! That will create more hype, and help the brand grow.

Amen brother on that ❤

Arrma does use the exact same chassis for the Senton, BRCC, & Typhon. 3 cars on the same platform yet are setup & equipped differently for certain driving experiences. They did the same for the Senton 6s, Typhon 6s, & Outcast/Notorious. Exact same chassis & share 80-90% of the same parts. It might be a Traxxas theme but as long as it's not being handled in the same way (as long as it sells, it's all good & forget trying to make it better - EVER . . . until wallets start to get fed up) it should be for the better. Arrma knows the platform & want to progress & upgrade it. But the platform is no lightweight & they have to take their time with it, R&D & release wise. We all want Arrma to join the 'BIG' boys (I mean scale) & this maybe their ticket to it.

I don’t know that there is anything wrong with what they are doing. I think it’s pretty convenient that parts interchange between all the models. Makes it easy for things like the Outcast Hybrid, truggified Typhon, swapping a-arms and hubs etc for a slightly different rc. It’s good business and as long as the prices and quality stay where they are then more power to them. Plus, more and more people will get into RC and who knows maybe some tracks will start to pop up in areas close to home. Or, a freestyle bash competition starts that looks a lot like a @Thomas P or @Rich Duperbash video.

Yep, they are covered under the "Arrma 4x4 Mega & BLX" category.
Exactly this.

Nothing against the Typhon or the model, but being the same platform this new RC would easily fall under the Arrma 4x4 Mega & BLX sub-forum.

Exactly this.

Nothing against the Typhon or the model, but being the same platform this new RC would easily fall under the Arrma 4x4 Mega & BLX sub-forum.
I still feel that we should change the "Typhon" forum to be "Typhon 6S BLX" just like we did with the Senton when they released the Senton 4x4 Mega to hopefully try and avoid some confusion with some members who may not be as familiar with the entire lineup of Arrma cars.

Maybe we should save time later and do the same with the Kraton, Talion, Outcast & Notorious forums now since we all know that those names will most likely get reused on cars that are completely different than the original down the road. :p

Last edited:
Or maybe consolidate. Make one "BLX6s" forum (Typhon, Kraton, Talion, Senton, Outcast, Notorious) (Consolidate)
"Nero and kids" (Nero, Fazon, Big Rock) (Existing)
"4x4 BLX3s" (Granite, Senton, Big Rock, Typhon) (Existing)
2wd Voltage (Granite, Fazon) (Existing)
and
Old School rear motor 2wd (Granite, Fury, Raider, Mojave, and whatever that 2wd racing buggy was called) (Consolidate)

What did I miss?

Unboxing vid:

I like the shock tower caps they added. It’s nice touch. Check out the wing design. The rear wheels kind of tuck into it upon full compression. Going to a larger tire will cause rubbing for sure.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back