Are "cheap" Banggood special rc cars killing the hobby?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Main problem with China rc cars is waiting for spare parts. With some of the WL Toys you are best off to buy two so you have spare parts. But then it's not really cheap anymore...

Another hassle is setting up the ESC. Some just don't give any options. Or no instructions available. Also tricky getting the right pinions. Had Mod 0,7 with the wrong diameter of the inner hole. Like 3mm instead of 3,2mm. So you need a reamer. Then some pinions were really bad. Too fat teeth, same Mod. Unuseable.

The small drift cars are OK.

They just need to get lucky with them, some break instantly, some die in a few months. The market is flooded with these Chinesium junk RCs. Because so many popular YouTubers are reviewing them and giving them positive reviews, people go out and buy one. The people that buy these RCs are either on a tight budget, or just don’t want to spend the money.

Before I got my Typhon 3s, I was planning on getting a Rustler 2wd VXL, I’m happy I didn’t, even Traxxas makes subpar junk, especially the lower end ones like the 2wd vxl and 4x4 vxl lines. My Slash 2wd which I luckily got for free, is absolutely junk without putting RPM parts on every corner of the vehicle. I spent way more than what it’s worth when it was new just by upgrading it. The Slash 2wd had a head on crash with my Typhon 3s, the Slash‘s left caster block literally snapped clean in half, that has happened two times so far, but I have now put RPM caster blocks on it. The Typhon 3s came out scratch-free after the crash. My Slash 2wd got sideswiped by my cousin’s Senton, it destroyed the left rear stub axle carrier. The Senton came out scratch free. I upgraded that part to RPM, and it’s perfectly fine. Now my Slash 2wd sits as a slider in my basement.

So in conclusion don’t buy Traxxas or other Chinesium junk since they are going to kill the hobby.

I find the Traxxas 4x4 platform to be much better than the Arrma 4x4 platform so much so that I'm getting rid of my Arrma 3s and keeping my Traxxas 4x4.

The Rpm caster blocks are junk you just bend the king pins you gotta go aluminum.

I find the Traxxas 4x4 platform to be much better than the Arrma 4x4 platform so much so that I'm getting rid of my Arrma 3s and keeping my Traxxas 4x4.

The Rpm caster blocks are junk you just bend the king pins you gotta go aluminum.
Never knew that about the caster blocks, I will probably put aluminum ones in when I start building it up for speed running. I have no experience with the Traxxas 4x4 line, but it seems very expensive for what you get. I’m happy enough with my Typhon 3s and Senton mega converted to 3s.

Younger folks that saw this all happen, like me who had an apple 2c and a vhf/uhf tv and played MUDs on the proto internet where you got onto a site by knowing it's IP address have a healthier distrust of stuff than people that didn't experience it's explosive growth or just grew up taking it for granted.

Awesome, I used to play MUDs like 25 years ago. I think I was on Apocalypse IV or something like that, can't quite remember the name.

The new Traxxas 4x4 stuff like the Hoss is actually pretty good, just gotta upgrade the shocks and servo. For racing, the Traxxas line is FAR superior to any Arrma 1/10 cars.

BTW, to answer the original question, it just depends on the person. Some get discouraged and quit, some get hooked and get into higher end cars. Me personally, I can't stand driving the cheap stuff, so I don't review them (anymore). If I were to guess, I would say they're probably a net positive. Even if they buy a crappy car and try to fix it or improve it, they're learning some of the hobby-side stuff and improving their understanding of what makes a car good or bad.

Last edited:
Awesome, I used to play MUDs like 25 years ago. I think I was on Apocalypse IV or something like that, can't quite remember the name.

The new Traxxas 4x4 stuff like the Hoss is actually pretty good, just gotta upgrade the shocks and servo. For racing, the Traxxas line is FAR superior to any Arrma 1/10 cars.
If Traxxas were to make a 1/8 4x4 buggy, I would probably consider buying it. The Traxxas ultra shocks are decent, I have never bent a shaft, or even popped off a shock cap, but the Arrma 3s wet spaghetti noodle shock shafts are terrible, they bend easily.

I no longer tell onlookers what they specifically cost. I do say used ones can be found, just that a newb will generally have many issues with used stuff. If they ask, I just direct them on their cellphone. A webiste etc. Many will look down on you without a clue that this IS a serious hobby for some. I used to to be open about the price of this hobby to most unfamiliar with it, but makes no sense to explain why a Toy costs X much $$$. Only a hobbyist understands. I have run into newbs that got into it months years later at my favorite park, thanking me for recommending a model or brand, seeing them running their RC's. That is rewarding for me. Sometimes I don't even remember them. But they remember me. I will sit for an hour and stop bashing, while I explain my rig to those truly interested. I don't mind.
I feel the same not explaining to on lookers the cost of these toys. I was running the second pack today in my new Maxx, three kids rolled up on their bicycles, they asked how fast it was, then one kid asked if he could run it.

Naturally told him no running in a small area with a large pond feet away. His friend then said, he has a rc car, so I asked what it was, he had no answer. With the dejection on his face I then said, do you know how much these things cost. To my surprise he said 700/800 dollars, pretty much spot on kid.

So walked back home from down the street, started cleaning the truck and my neighbor pulls up with a friend. Friend says, do you want to sell it. This guy doesn't know what it is or have a clue the MSRP. I just looked at this tool and said, no, just got it, no further explanation or verbal chit chat.

BTW, to answer the original question, it just depends on the person. Some get discouraged and quit, some get hooked and get into higher end cars. Me personally, I can't stand driving the cheap stuff, so I don't review them (anymore). If I were to guess, I would say they're probably a net positive. Even if they buy a crappy car and try to fix it or improve it, they're learning some of the hobby-side stuff and improving their understanding of what makes a car good or bad.

My Slashpede 4x4 I broke the stock driveshafts a couple of a arms and the steering bellcrank. On my 3s I've broken bumpers, skid plates, the chassis, destroyed the rear diff, broke the slipper hub, broke turnbuckles constantly, broke c hubs, broke caster blocks, so many driveshafts(it really pisses me off that their are quite literally zero driveshafts that actually fit and work properly for this) and 4 or 5 motor bearings ........

I try to vere people away from these cheap Banggood rcs, sure $60 might seem like a good deal but once you realize that you will need to spend another couple hundred dollars upgrading it to make even halfway decent it really kills that low price.

Never knew that about the caster blocks, I will probably put aluminum ones in when I start building it up for speed running. I have no experience with the Traxxas 4x4 line, but it seems very expensive for what you get. I’m happy enough with my Typhon 3s and Senton mega converted to 3s.

Upfront cost is more but considering that the Arrma 3s line has flaws that cannot be fixed it makes the extra cost worth it to me.

I am surprised at times that most teens do know what these cost. But many adults think they can be bought at ToysRus. And that they cost $50. Not joking. Many adults say this to me, and are surprised to find out what they cost. I just direct them to the RC websites. Let them process it from there.

Last edited:
I think the point about cheap vs inexpensive is really well made.
A WL Toys brushed buggy for my daughter was our “family gateway” into RCs about eighteen months ago. It was fast, reasonably durable and made us smile. I spent less than £50 on upgrades.

It left me feeling very positive about “value RCs” whilst keen to explore the next level. It also taught me about suspension, diffs, motors, pinions, ESCs, lipos and charging and so many, many more RC matters.
In addition to our Arrmas, we still have smaller scale hbx Truggies and they’re excellent and highly durable. I don’t care that parts take two weeks to arrive but actually they’re increasingly licensed to other brands, making parts support progressively better and better. We also have an LC Racing Truggy and it’s superbly well built. There’s nothing remotely cheap about its all-metal construction and its diffs are so smooth, they put the Arrma ones to shame.
I’ll still be getting an Outcast or Talion EXB in the new year but I get a ton of pleasure from our less expensive vehicles. They might have been inexpensive bu they aren’t cheap crap.

Some Chinesium RC cars actually help the hobby. A good friend I met through a local RC group started his addiction with his son buying them. When we first met, he had 2 Hosim's. I will admit, they had fun among all the ARRMA's, Traxxas, ECX's. In many situations, those Hosim's almost outperformed our more expensive cars. They have since upgraded those to an ECX and Slash(bought used).
Then we and our sons got into crawling. He bought two WLToys crawlers. I got a SCX10 and trx4(for son). The WLToys performed ok. I guess. Things like torque, battery life, flex were noticeable disadvantages. But they they still had fun and were able to join the rest of the crawling group. They since upgraded those WLToys to Redcat Gen 8's.
I look at it this way; if one is just testing the waters it makes more sense to start as cheap as possible. And if they get into it, they can see the advantages the hobby grade RCs offer. Financial situation also plays a huge role and luckily, they were given a sweet deal on their two first hobby grade crawlers from one of the group members who owned a LHS.

Some Chinesium RC cars actually help the hobby. A good friend I met through a local RC group started his addiction with his son buying them. When we first met, he had 2 Hosim's. I will admit, they had fun among all the ARRMA's, Traxxas, ECX's. In many situations, those Hosim's almost outperformed our more expensive cars. They have since upgraded those to an ECX and Slash(bought used).
Then we and our sons got into crawling. He bought two WLToys crawlers. I got a SCX10 and trx4(for son). The WLToys performed ok. I guess. Things like torque, battery life, flex were noticeable disadvantages. But they they still had fun and were able to join the rest of the crawling group. They since upgraded those WLToys to Redcat Gen 8's.
I look at it this way; if one is just testing the waters it makes more sense to start as cheap as possible. And if they get into it, they can see the advantages the hobby grade RCs offer. Financial situation also plays a huge role and luckily, they were given a sweet deal on their two first hobby grade crawlers from one of the group members who owned a LHS.
Which one do you like more, scx10 or trx4?

new Traxxas 4x4 stuff like the Hoss is actually pretty good, just gotta upgrade the shocks and servo. For racing, the Traxxas line is FAR superior to any Arrma 1/10 cars.
Hey razor, did you have any high speed wobbles with hoss? I bought mine used for 200$ couple months ago, it's in great shape, but the guy runs spectrum electronics and he put spectrum servo, don't remember the name but that one comes stock in 6s arrma cars and for some reason it looks like it has a lot of free play for metal gear servo. I have high speed pinion but I run 2s only, that's enough for me. I guess it can go up to 40 mph, it doesn't have speed wobbles but gets a little bit sketchy full speed, can't imagine driving it 3s with high speed.

Which one do you like more, scx10 or trx4?
The Trx4 is very capable, yet I feel the SCX10 is more fun. The trx4 is basic Sport but the SCX10 is the third version
loaded with portals, the DIG function, and 2 speed transmission. So it's obvious which I prefer. The Trx-4 I bought for my son was actually the first crawler I ever used and that day, I had a blast with it. It was loaned to me to try and after I got the SCX10, I was asked if I was interested in it for my son because he wanted to get a Trx-6(I believe that's what the 6 wheeler is called).

Yup. I got a redcat volcano because I realized I was putting a silly amount of money and time into cars that constantly broke. And it broke the second time I drove it in my backyard. Back then I got warrantees on everything I bought so I returned it and finally gritted my teeth and spent what I thought was a lot of money on a mega Granite. That started all this thank god 😊
That is such a bummer! Was it the brushless version? It was a Redcat Volcano (HSP Brontosaurus) brushless that got me back into the hobby and its one of my most used cars! The thing has been crazy fun and the only thing I have broken is a axle stub (crash) and blew a bearing on the diff input gear (cup came loose). Its just wild and sometimes uncontrollable.. I have never even had the diffs apart :oops:..
Any advice on getting the Hoss to drive/handle better? Only have a couple runs in but it didn't go well.. Was thinking about lowering the ride height (stock settings are quite high), there is something odd about the steering geometry as well. Maybe its normal, I am not sure. On the plus side it has gobs of power and lots of grip.

Last edited:
That is such a bummer! Was it the brushless version? It was a Redcat Volcano (HSP Brontosaurus) brushless that got me back into the hobby and its one of my most used cars! The thing has been crazy fun and the only thing I have broken is a axle stub (crash) and blew a bearing on the diff input gear (cup came loose). Its just wild and sometimes uncontrollable.. I have never even had the diffs apart :oops:..
It was the brushed version of the volcano that I got last year. The plastics were some of the cheapest I’ve seen, very brittle. It was awful. It lead to better things though so I do not regret it.

Hey razor, did you have any high speed wobbles with hoss? I bought mine used for 200$ couple months ago, it's in great shape, but the guy runs spectrum electronics and he put spectrum servo, don't remember the name but that one comes stock in 6s arrma cars and for some reason it looks like it has a lot of free play for metal gear servo. I have high speed pinion but I run 2s only, that's enough for me. I guess it can go up to 40 mph, it doesn't have speed wobbles but gets a little bit sketchy full speed, can't imagine driving it 3s with high speed.

I think my tires are pretty wobbly out of the box, also it's fairly common to bend the axles which causes the tires to wobble. I don't drive on the street at all, only dirt, so don't notice it much.
Any advice on getting the Hoss to drive/handle better? Only have a couple runs in but it didn't go well.. Was thinking about lowering the ride height (stock settings are quite high), there is something odd about the steering geometry as well. Maybe its normal, I am not sure. On the plus side it has gobs of power and lots of grip.

I have a couple of upgrade videos for the Hoss. What did you not like about the way it drove? That will kind of guide what changes to make. I think I changed out the center diff oil though, IIRC it comes with something really thick?

Last edited:
Oh thats one of the evil pleasures of this hobby...seeing the faces of people when they hear what these things cost. It also starts a conversation as they want to know why its so expensive. :ROFLMAO:

Once they hear about how sophisticated the tech is they are amazed and realize why they cost so much. Who knows how many people seeing us running at a park or beach and got them into the hobby. :)
When I explain to an onlooker while out bashing, that the RC technology I have in my RC includes ABS, Telemetry, Traction control, and Steering gyro, ( Yaw rate sensor) and Belted tires for on-road speeds of 100+ MPH, much that is found in scale cars these days, they are amazed and generally understand the cost much better. Some realize these are not the toy'ish cars they are watching with all beat up bodies from bashing. Then I remove the body, and they can see that all that tech is crammed into a small footprint. Some understand it much better and want one also. Many techies get into this as newbs. Where it all begins. Some are parents that just want one for their young child for instance. Can't always recommend it to all. There are Bangood specials in this case that can fit the bill at a less expensive level. But many of these are just throwaways after they break.

Last edited:
I try to pass on any info they want and steer them in the right direction...which is usually telling them that in this hobby you usually get what you pay for. I let them know the rough cost of whatever I may be running at the time and compare it to what they would probably see at every corner on amazon and ebay. I think from there they can figure it out.
If not (especially seeing my RC) they have no business being a parent. :ROFLMAO:
If you see a 20lb. Kraton doing 50ish and decide thats what you want to give to your young child....YIKES! Same person who lets their child play on the highway.:ROFLMAO:

I try to pass on any info they want and steer them in the right direction...which is usually telling them that in this hobby you usually get what you pay for. I let them know the rough cost of whatever I may be running at the time and compare it to what they would probably see at every corner on amazon and ebay. I think from there they can figure it out.
If not (especially seeing my RC) they have no business being a parent. :ROFLMAO:
If you see a 20lb. Kraton doing 50ish and decide thats what you want to give to your young child....YIKES! Same person who lets their child play on the highway.:ROFLMAO:
You do more then me. I just say I don’t know. Then I tell them to go to the local hobby shop. If they ask about my cars though, hell yeah I explain. I love when they take notes even. I just finished letting a 12-year-old kid drive around three of my cars. I think he had a blast. My daughter was playing with his nine-year-old sister…it was a nice day at the park. Even I was social and nice. Weird.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back