Are "cheap" Banggood special rc cars killing the hobby?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hundred percent. I had a 55 year old man show me a tiktok video at work and be like 'makes you think, huh?' Bruh. It's a tiktok video. Not gonna change my opinion on poop. Like, apply some critical thinking here. I swear the people most misled by the internet and the most addicted to their phones are the generations before mine. The older folks who got blindsided by the (mis)information age. Younger folks that saw this all happen, like me who had an apple 2c and a vhf/uhf tv and played MUDs on the proto internet where you got onto a site by knowing it's IP address have a healthier distrust of stuff than people that didn't experience it's explosive growth or just grew up taking it for granted.

What's for sure is that the working class suffers the whims of billionaires. Canada is gonna shut down again guaranteed. The billionaires are just waiting until they get another yacht from christmas sales before they let it happen.

Two WLToys 10428's and both was fun AF and only broke because they were cheap enough for me to Frankenstein and it didnt work out.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I have yet to order a 3rd one to use the unopened aluminum parts and shocks that I have for it.:rolleyes:

My opinion on whether these cheap RC's are ruining the hobby is that it's 50/50. Either youre going to be intrigued enough to buy a hobby grade or try another cheap RC, or youre going to just say its not worth it altogether. 🤷‍♂️
Its the parents who usually will fall for the cheap RC's as all they know is that their child wants an RC.
HUGE business for a lot of people who buy these RC's in bulk to sell online. I have even thought about doing so as you can pretty much find any RC available in bulk and have your brand on it. For example the WLToys 10428 is sold under different names in different places. You can even find it in the same place (country) sold under diff names.

It can be fun as some of the cheap stuff actually hold up to a kids bashing but most seem to be crap. Its the ultimate tinker RC's.:p

I don't know the answer to that question as I never bought anything from Bangood or WL toys. My first car was a Radio Shack MT, from there on hobby grade stuff from major manufacturers.

Climate change from Carbon and Co2 emisisons is a myth. Driven by a huge gov't funded industry. No matter what we do, the climate is changing without any human input. And Carbon Dioxide is a much needed component to our eco system. Yet many will say otherwise. Global warming has been occurring for centuries, way before it was a thing. We cannot control. Is what it is. Can't control Nature. And warmng has hardly been at any alarming rate. The Earth just changes. Because it is alive. Air quality from pollutants is a different issue and often confused with and often injected into this argument, the Climate change as insignificant as it truly is cannot be controlled by us mere humans. Plant life needs and consumes carbon dioxide whether you like it or not.
The false data is driven by the yea sayers. Because it lines their pockets. From all the administrative scientists and to all the activists which are funded heavily. And we all get a rise out of feeling "responsible" for their agenda. A joke that we all support with our wasted TAX $$$.

Bangood sponsors much of the YT'er content. And many YT'ers make a living with this support. At our expense. They offer free Chinesium stuff to them. Hit and run generic brands. Non Hobby grade. Just supposedly inexpensive toys for small childern at X-Mass. The market ends up with tons of garbage out there. A million supposed cheap alternatives. With little or Zero QC or any Bang for the buck. Or even little if any Parts support for these RC's. There are hundreds of quick start up businesses in China and the Pan Asian belt that offer rebranded junk on Bangood and similar sites. We should flip the table and do the same to them. But they control it so we are the consumers of junk. Not them. While they get rich quick we get poor quick. It becomes a feeding frenzy for us buying their garbage. Just that we have no choice at this point. Like the Masks we are required to wear. All Chinesium. China wa stock piling masks at an incredible rate a year before Covid hit the world. Well known fact. Covid was no accident. It was part of a plan. And many would like hide this fact, while others would like to bury their heads in the sand in regards. (W.H.O. and CDC.) Masks are actually useless and do absolutely nothing to keep us from getting sick. They just make us sick by breathing in our own spit, breath and Carbon dioxide. The virus penetrates all masks. It is a psychological ploy to have to wear them. And keep buying them. Kids having to wear masks for 6 hours a day at school and all. A joke.
Sorry for my very strong rant here.
I know I can get flamed for some of my above statements.:rolleyes:
I don't care.
Medical supplies have been coming from China for years, you think this is new? Next pill you take, know there's a 85% chance most of the constituents in that pill came from.... you guess it, China! 🤣
No tinfoil hats for me. 🤣

Addressing the original question, I don't see how it hurts. Most folks here are closer to the extreme end of the hobby and your views reflect that. For the market to be thriving you need cheap alternatives around so folks can get their feet wet. Not many out there can afford high end products and in most cases they'd be wasted at their skill level. Start small, gain experience, perspective and move up if desired. 30k+ members may seem impressive but what percentage of those are active on any given day?

Addressing the original question, I don't see how it hurts. Most folks here are closer to the extreme end of the hobby and your views reflect that. For the market to be thriving you need cheap alternatives around so folks can get their feet wet. Not many out there can afford high end products and in most cases they'd be wasted at their skill level. Start small, gain experience, perspective and move up if desired. 30k+ members may seem impressive but what percentage of those are active on any given day?
Agreed. If both hobby grade and toy grade/cheap RC's are doing well then they are only keeping each other in check.
Cant see Arrma being ok with a review saying "this banggood rc truck kills a kraton" no way thats gonna happen...checked and balanced. :ROFLMAO:(y)

the parents who usually will fall for the cheap RC's as all they know is that their child wants an RC.
HUGE business for a lot of people who buy these RC's in bulk to sell online. I have even thought about doing so as you can pretty much find any RC available in bulk and have your brand on it. For example the WLToys 10428 is sold under different names in different places. You can even find it in the same place (country) sold under diff names.

It can be fun as some of the cheap stuff actually hold up to a kids bashing but most seem to be crap. Its the ultimate tinker RC's.:p
You are actually right, good point. Many times parents would ask me how much are rcs me and my friend are driving. And most of the times they are in disbelief. Since 3/4 of my rc collection I bought used I like to say how much I paid used and how much is new, so they have an idea what to expect in the store, but not to think that I spend thousands. My most expensive rc is udr, with Traxxas batteries dual charger and taxes in Chicago it's 1100$, but I got it for 420$ barely used. Or when we drive rc boats at the lake. New Traxxas Spartan is 450 plus batteries, and I paid for mine 115 with decent batteries. And they still look at us like we are crazy. I guess they expect to be between 50 and 100 for a nice rc like erevo, Maxx or udr

I have some Chinese RC cars. Bison, Cheetah, DHK Zombie. They're alright for what they are worth. Its a niche. Its like asking is the smart car ruining the auto industry. Its not for everyone. Everybody thinks all china made is cheap. They produce alot of expensive things just as well, that we use everyday. My two cents

You are actually right, good point. Many times parents would ask me how much are rcs me and my friend are driving. And most of the times they are in disbelief. Since 3/4 of my rc collection I bought used I like to say how much I paid used and how much is new, so they have an idea what to expect in the store, but not to think that I spend thousands. My most expensive rc is udr, with Traxxas batteries dual charger and taxes in Chicago it's 1100$, but I got it for 420$ barely used. Or when we drive rc boats at the lake. New Traxxas Spartan is 450 plus batteries, and I paid for mine 115 with decent batteries. And they still look at us like we are crazy. I guess they expect to be between 50 and 100 for a nice rc like erevo, Maxx or udr
Oh thats one of the evil pleasures of this hobby...seeing the faces of people when they hear what these things cost. It also starts a conversation as they want to know why its so expensive. :ROFLMAO:

Once they hear about how sophisticated the tech is they are amazed and realize why they cost so much. Who knows how many people seeing us running at a park or beach and got them into the hobby. :)

I no longer tell onlookers what they specifically cost. I do say used ones can be found, just that a newb will generally have many issues with used stuff. If they ask, I just direct them on their cellphone. A webiste etc. Many will look down on you without a clue that this IS a serious hobby for some. I used to to be open about the price of this hobby to most unfamiliar with it, but makes no sense to explain why a Toy costs X much $$$. Only a hobbyist understands. I have run into newbs that got into it months years later at my favorite park, thanking me for recommending a model or brand, seeing them running their RC's. That is rewarding for me. Sometimes I don't even remember them. But they remember me. I will sit for an hour and stop bashing, while I explain my rig to those truly interested. I don't mind.

I have some Chinese RC cars. Bison, Cheetah, DHK Zombie. They're alright for what they are worth. Its a niche. Its like asking is the smart car ruining the auto industry. Its not for everyone. Everybody thinks all china made is cheap. They produce alot of expensive things just as well, that we use everyday. My two cents
Agreed. Made in china refers the manufacturing location. A lot of companies from all over the world do this for manufacturing cost reasons. Not all 'made in china' products are cheap crap.
As far as RC's go...if you do your research there are some pretty good ones out there for the price...such as mentioned.

I once brought my Typhon 3s to my local elementary school to run it, I had a group of about 10 people gather around. They were all in awe of it since it‘s fast to them. I talked to this guy for about 20 minutes about the Typhon, he was surprised by how much RCs have evolved since he last used them. Then I told him the price… he thought it was a little expensive for what it is, but you pay for good quality plus inflation prices…

Climate change from Carbon and Co2 emisisons is a myth. Driven by a huge gov't funded industry. No matter what we do, the climate is changing without any human input. And Carbon Dioxide is a much needed component to our eco system. Yet many will say otherwise. Global warming has been occurring for centuries, way before it was a thing. We cannot control. Is what it is. Can't control Nature. And warmng has hardly been at any alarming rate. The Earth just changes. Because it is alive. Air quality from pollutants is a different issue and often confused with and often injected into this argument, the Climate change as insignificant as it truly is cannot be controlled by us mere humans. Plant life needs and consumes carbon dioxide whether you like it or not.
The false data is driven by the yea sayers. Because it lines their pockets. From all the administrative scientists and to all the activists which are funded heavily. And we all get a rise out of feeling "responsible" for their agenda. A joke that we all support with our wasted TAX $$$.

Bangood sponsors much of the YT'er content. And many YT'ers make a living with this support. At our expense. They offer free Chinesium stuff to them. Hit and run generic brands. Non Hobby grade. Just supposedly inexpensive toys for small childern at X-Mass. The market ends up with tons of garbage out there. A million supposed cheap alternatives. With little or Zero QC or any Bang for the buck. Or even little if any Parts support for these RC's. There are hundreds of quick start up businesses in China and the Pan Asian belt that offer rebranded junk on Bangood and similar sites. We should flip the table and do the same to them. But they control it so we are the consumers of junk. Not them. While they get rich quick we get poor quick. It becomes a feeding frenzy for us buying their garbage. Just that we have no choice at this point. Like the Masks we are required to wear. All Chinesium. China wa stock piling masks at an incredible rate a year before Covid hit the world. Well known fact. Covid was no accident. It was part of a plan. And many would like hide this fact, while others would like to bury their heads in the sand in regards. (W.H.O. and CDC.) Masks are actually useless and do absolutely nothing to keep us from getting sick. They just make us sick by breathing in our own spit, breath and Carbon dioxide. The virus penetrates all masks. It is a psychological ploy to have to wear them. And keep buying them. Kids having to wear masks for 6 hours a day at school and all. A joke.
Sorry for my very strong rant here.
I know I can get flamed for some of my above statements.:rolleyes:
I don't care.
I really respect your RC knowledge, but this post has to be a joke, right? Not even worth arguing about.

Agreed. Made in china refers the manufacturing location. A lot of companies from all over the world do this for manufacturing cost reasons. Not all 'made in china' products are cheap crap.
As far as RC's go...if you do your research there are some pretty good ones out there for the price...such as mentioned.
Yes it is Pan Asian as well IMHO. Not just CN stuff, where most comes from.
Many newbs follow YT'ers. opinions I call that lazy research. Like RC Saylers for instance. Yes there are many great products. Unfortunately they get watered down and fall between the cracks amongst all the garbage out there. Not easy to find decent stuff. It is a gamble most of the time. Sometimes you buy twice or more before finding good stuff. In the end you settle on buying what you tried to avoid because you felt it cost to much initially.
We are all guilty of this.

Fareal lol im already to the point were i catch myself saying bye to my senton when i leave for the house 🤣😂🤣
Esp since I been outa work and my BR been down I catch myself just standing and staring at it. 😳. Thinking about all the good times we have together. 😆

I mean arrma is made in china without a doubt.

We're just talking about the off brands made based off of stolen intellectual property manufactured and sold on le banggood and ali and stuff.
All our stuff is chinese, lads. There's no denying it. Even DeWalt and Estwing are chinese manufactured.

It's the same in every hobby.

"Buy once cry once" is an expensive lesson for most of us.

I can't tell you how many thousands of $$ I have tied up in ski gear, and my shooting addiction is worse. But I'm way more obsessive about my hobbies than anyone should be...

I started skiing on cheap gear that wasn't comfortable, didn't perform, and broke quickly. Then I learned where (& where not) to put my money, and I bought better stuff.
I tried to go cheap with rifles and optics when I started shooting, too. That just cost me more in the long run.

There's a cost threshold with every hobby. Most normies won't need to cross that threshold. That's why CCJ will always flood the market.

The banggood specials are the sub $500 savage axis/mossberg patriot/tc compass price point rifle equivalents in the rc world. The occasional 'diamond in the rough' wl toys offering would be more like a ruger American rifle. The scopes on these rifle packages will fail as fast as the electronics and suspension parts on the banggood special rc's.
In skiing terms, they're like ski resort rental skis and boots.

A 6s talion exb is the equivalent of a $3500 proof research rifle. And the castle esc/motor combo would be a nightforce scope. (The firma system would be a vortex viper pst)
The skiing equivalent would be a $650 pair of tecnicas and $1000 pair of volkls. With an avvy transceiver, pack and shovel (another $500) for the castle upgrade.

Most folks could never appreciate the difference.

I remember buying a drone years ago. Looking at a YTr, I bought it, worked decent a few times, then the gps started acting funky. Of course I got it from banggood. After that I bought a DJI phantom 3 standard. It made the "cheap" one look like toy. Both made from china.

Last edited:
I mean arrma is made in china without a doubt.

We're just talking about the off brands made based off of stolen intellectual property manufactured and sold on le banggood and ali and stuff.
All our stuff is chinese, lads. There's no denying it. Even DeWalt and Estwing are chinese manufactured.
No, not Eastwing!!!😵

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back