Are stock bearings really that bad?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xjeepguy

Super-Secret Yarmaluthe
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Notorious
I saw a few folks on here highly recommend changing out the stock bearings in the 6s Arrmas, so I ordered a set of Fast Eddie’s for the Kraton. I couldn’t believe how bad my stock bearings were! Are the bearings just that low quality, or are these things just that hard on bearings? Two of my large hub bearings were almost locked up.

Moral of the story? If you’re running stock bearings, check them often.

Yes wheel bearings, especially the inner wheel hub bearings (15x21x4) don’t last long. The stock bearings only did a couple of runs.
I think due to the power at some point the bearings can’t handle the play in the axle allowing dirt to enter the bearing.
Rubber sealed aftermarket bearings (seem to) last longer.
I had a stock motor bearing locking up and disintegrating leading to a write-off of the motor (luckily warranty as this was on the second run🙄). I run hybrid ceramic bearings in my motors since. Never had to replace one so far, only cleaned them once or twice a year.

Yes wheel bearings, especially the inner wheel hub bearings (15x21x4) don’t last long. The stock bearings only did a couple of runs.
I think due to the power at some point the bearings can’t handle the play in the axle allowing dirt to enter the bearing.
Rubber sealed aftermarket bearings (seem to) last longer.
I had a stock motor bearing locking up and disintegrating leading to a write-off of the motor (luckily warranty as this was on the second run🙄). I run hybrid ceramic bearings in my motors since. Never had to replace one so far, only cleaned them once or twice a year.
Wow, I was shocked at how worn most of mine were. I’ve been in hobby grade RC for 35 years, and I’ve never worn out a set of bearings this fast, although, I’ve never had an RC vehicle quite as violent as the Kraton. In its defense, this thing is a beast. Extremely torquey, fast, and it seems to invite me to run it harder than any of the others.

Stock bearings are pretty bad...I'm sure they're "lowest bidder" bearings. They last a decent amount of time in 3s cars, but in 6s+ cars they go pretty quickly. Dirt, jumps, lots of full throttle pulls, etc. all put additional stress on bearings, and the stockers don't handle it well. I use either Jim's or Fast Eddy's in everything I own. In my 6s cars, I usually get about 10 packs before I really need to lube them unless I'm running in sticky dirt (like clay) or wet. I usually replace them every 40-50 packs. I run my 6s Sentons almost exclusively on dirt, and still find this to be effective. Obviously there are anomalies that have to be replaced sooner, but on average that's what I'm getting with some cleaning/lubing between. Some people are religious about their bearings, cleaning/lubing them after every run or replacing them often. I used to be this way, but found that it had minimal if any impact for me. The only cars I do that now are my race cars that I compete with, where something small can be the difference in a win or loss. A lot of guys do that on their speed run cars as well, but I think a lot of it is theory rather than proven effectiveness. I wouldn't say there's a right or wrong way as long as you're replacing them before they seize, but for bashers, I don't feel that it needs to be overthought.

Agree with y'all..these 6s rigs eat wheel bearings like a fat kid eats candy..
My brother's talion exb digested it's first set of front inner bearings on it's second battery pack..they literally just fell apart! An exception to the normal for sure, but I'm not a fan of the small balls bearings (inner axle) that Arrma specs on the 6s line. I know they use a nice beefy stub axle which is great, but really wish they beefed up the bearing size to go with it. Can't have it all I guess..besides, if you buy them by the 10 pack sleeve, they're cheap enough.

Stocks bearing are trash but you can get them to last longer if you lube them every run like I do In my comp buggy it’s a pain in the a$$ but you’ll be faster and they’ll last longer and don’t buy ceramic bearings for the 6s line they will explode their for lighter duty stuff

Stock bearings are inferior in quality, no doubt about that. I don’t chance it as I ditch all the stock bearings for Avid RC Revolution units. Be it Arrma or other manufacturers. Cheap insurance ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In my experience Arrma stock bearings are pretty good, but they are expensive and you can find as good bearings for cheaper.

If a bearing is too small for it’s use like Kraton 1/8’s rear inner wheel bearing or rear differential input gear bearing then any brand of bearing will fail too soon.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back