Granite ARRMA Granite Voltage 1/10 problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antonis

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Hello, everyone!
My Arrma Granite Voltage 1/10 scale 2wd can steer, but it doesn't move. Suddenly when I press the accelerate seems it's turning off.
This problem is both with old and new batteries.

Howdy!

About how many batteries have you run thru your truck?

It kind of sounds like the motor may have burned out. Now when you use the throttle, the dead motor acts like a short circuit, and shuts down the ESC. Solution would be a new motor.

If you can give more details, we can provide more help.

:)

Jerry

Howdy!

About how many batteries have you run thru your truck?

It kind of sounds like the motor may have burned out. Now when you use the throttle, the dead motor acts like a short circuit, and shuts down the ESC. Solution would be a new motor.

If you can give more details, we can provide more help.

:)

Jerry
Hey, I have put 4 batteries, NITECORE.

Is there anything I can check before changing motor?
Thanks for your answer.

You have 4 batteries, or 4 runs?

If you have only run the truck 4 times, that is pretty quick to burn out the motor. Not unheard of, though. What surface type do you normally run on? Pavement? Grass? Packed dirt? Loose Dirt? Power Sand?

A few things to check the motor - Power car on, roll the car with your hand and give medium throttle. Does the motor start to run? If yes, bad motor.

Remove the motor, and spin it by hand. You should feel the magnate poles, but otherwise it should be smooth - no crunch / grind. Also, look inside the motor - the wiring should be shiny / orangeish. If it is black, it is bad. Smell it. Does it smell burnt?

Last - replace the motor. They are not too much money, and if the old motor is good, then now you have a spare. Spare brushed motors are good, as brushed motors normally do not have a long life. Run them under high loads (grass) or get them too dirty, and they can die in a few runs. Treat them right, follow all the rules, and they may last a several dozen runs.

You have 4 batteries, or 4 runs?

If you have only run the truck 4 times, that is pretty quick to burn out the motor. Not unheard of, though. What surface type do you normally run on? Pavement? Grass? Packed dirt? Loose Dirt? Power Sand?

A few things to check the motor - Power car on, roll the car with your hand and give medium throttle. Does the motor start to run? If yes, bad motor.

Remove the motor, and spin it by hand. You should feel the magnate poles, but otherwise it should be smooth - no crunch / grind. Also, look inside the motor - the wiring should be shiny / orangeish. If it is black, it is bad. Smell it. Does it smell burnt?

Last - replace the motor. They are not too much money, and if the old motor is good, then now you have a spare. Spare brushed motors are good, as brushed motors normally do not have a long life. Run them under high loads (grass) or get them too dirty, and they can die in a few runs. Treat them right, follow all the rules, and they may last a several dozen runs.

I have 4 brand new batteries, no run with them so far. Just received it today. Thank you in advanced. I will check all of these soon and reply.

So you have not run the truck at all?

I did a search on NITECORE, those are 18650 cells? What is the amp rating of the cells? The Arrma cars need a good high amp rated cell, or the voltage will drop too much when you try to run.

I don't see the 18650 requirements listed in the current version of the manual. In the v1 Voltage, there was a page that showed that 20A cells are required, if you you 18650 cells.

See page 11 here-
https://www.arrma-rc.com/pdf/manuals/Voltage_Instruction_Manual_EN_DE_FR_WEB.pdf

Last edited:
Make sure the jumper pin on the esc is set to NiMH mode and not Lipo mode. If you aren't using lipos and it's in lipo mode on the esc just shuts off immediately or after a few seconds.

Attachments

• 20200322_001920.jpg
    20200322_001920.jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 72
Make sure the jumper pin on the esc is set to NiMH mode and not Lipo mode. If you aren't using lipos and it's in lipo mode on the esc just shuts off immediately or after a few seconds.
I think he is trying to using 18650 Li-ion cells, so the ESC should not be in Nimh mode. But, (reviewing the manual) there is a separate mode on the ESC for Li-ion. I didn't see that one till now. Check the manual I linked above, page 8. The jumper on the ESC for run mode needs to be in the middle for Li-ion.

ESC has three LVC modes - Nimh (Page 11), Li-ion (page 8) and Lipo (page 11). Seems silly how they put the Li-ion mode on a different page in the manual.
4-30-2020 1-43-26 PM.png

So this does seem like it could be a LVC setting.

If you are using the 7.2v NIMH pack that came with the car, set the jumper to Nimh.

If you are using the 18650 cells, make sure they are rated for 20a, and set the ESC jumper to Li-ion mode.

If you are running a Lipo (does not sound like it from your posts) then set the jumper to Lipo mode.

The 4-pack batteries are Li-ion 18650 NITECORE 2300mAh with no run so far, so the ESC is already on Li-ion mode. The problem is when I throttle in medium mode it does run, but when I fully press it it turns off.

Is this your battery?
https://www.techtoolsupply.com/Nitecore-2300mAh-18650-LiIon-Battery-Repl-NL183-p/nco-nl1823.htm

If yes, that cell seems to be rated at 4a discharge. It is a "Protected" cell, so if your load gets higher than 4a, the cell automatically shuts down.

For your Voltage, you need a 18650 that is rated at 20A per cell.
Here is one from B&H, rated at 20A continuous -
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod..._35a_imr18650_li_mn_rechargeable_battery.html

Also, here is a guy that actually test batteries - he has a few higher discharge cells in his test.-

If you want to see how the amp load effects the cells, skip to 10:30- notice at the load goes up, the lower rated cells start to have their voltage drop quickly. The higher amp rated cells can hold their voltage under the high load. This is what is needed for RC cars...

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back