Bambu Labs A1 with AMS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From my understanding, the hardened nozzle can be used with everything, just has more resistance to wearing from luminous, carbon fiber, wood-infused, etc. filaments.

Anecdotally I don't notice any difference between my A1 (with a hardened steel nozzle) and my A1 mini (with a stainless steel nozzle) when printing PLA and both work fine.

That's correct.
The harden steel nozzles can be used with all filament types.. So once you install that you don't need to change it again.
(Unless it gets completely entombed...)

From what I understand of the Bambu Lineup:
X1E: Enterprise edition of the X1 with a heated chamber. Not sold through retail channels
X1Carbon: You've got one :)
P1S: Also a CoreXY printer but has a stainless steel nozzle instead of a hardened steel nozzle like the X1C, Steel extruder gears instead of hardened steel, the bed temperature doesn't go as high as the C1 Carbon (100 vs 120C). Basically good for everything except the exotic materials (I think you can find a breakdown on the Bambu page)
P1P: Older CoreXY that isn't enclosed
A1: bed slinger compatible with AMS Lite
A1 Mini: smaller bed slinger compatible with AMS Lite

I have an X1C, A1 and A1 Mini but I purchased my A1 mini without the AMS Lite. Just my opinion, but the AMS lite makes the whole footprint huge and if you really want the AMS, you might as well get a full size bed slinger when it comes back in stock. I have my mini on an old rolling o-scope cart right next to my computer so I can send prints and test things out without having to go over to my printer area. The only thing you're giving up is print volume. I've been able to print probably 90% of what I've wanted to on my A1 mini. Print quality is as good as the other printers when comparing PLA.

My other plan is to keep 0.4 nozzles on the X1C and A1 and try to keep a 0.2 nozzle on the A1 Mini if I wanted to print smaller things in finer detail but so far I've been using a stainless 0.4 nozzle (put a hardened steel 0.4 nozzle on the A1 and moved that nozzle over to the mini).
Hey @Engineer thanks for taking the time to write this. It is so great for me to get the chance to hear from someone who owns all the relevant products. I really appreciate it.

I am glad to hear the A1 Mini takes care of almost all your printing needs.

Based on your response, I am going to grab the A1 Mini for my niece and for now, I'll stick with a single-spool set-up. I do have the AMS for my X1 but it sits on top of the unit so the footprint doesn't change, obviously. Your point about footprint for the AMS is particularly important since this A1 will probably sit in a kid's bedroom. As for colors, I think my niece will be more delighted with some of the creative colors that are available (rainbow, sparkles, various other colors beyond the basics). I've printed in some of those colors and the effect is quite dramatic.

Much appreciated!

Hey @Engineer thanks for taking the time to write this. It is so great for me to get the chance to hear from someone who owns all the relevant products. I really appreciate it.

I am glad to hear the A1 Mini takes care of almost all your printing needs.

Based on your response, I am going to grab the A1 Mini for my niece and for now, I'll stick with a single-spool set-up. I do have the AMS for my X1 but it sits on top of the unit so the footprint doesn't change, obviously. Your point about footprint for the AMS is particularly important since this A1 will probably sit in a kid's bedroom. As for colors, I think my niece will be more delighted with some of the creative colors that are available (rainbow, sparkles, various other colors beyond the basics). I've printed in some of those colors and the effect is quite dramatic.

Much appreciated!

You're welcome!

My only caveat is if you think you're going to need/want an AMS Lite in the future, then you might as well pick up the combo package as there's a built in $89 discount and will cost you more if you decide that you want an AMS later on and buy it separately. You can always run it with just the spool holder and see how it works and leave the AMS Lite in a closet until you need/want it.

Personally I use the AMS for ease of swapping between different colors on different prints, I don't really do multicolor prints as they take so much longer and generate so much poop - an old geezer like me just can't bear to waste filament like that.

Also, Bambu Lab had a discount code for either an A1 Mini or A1 Mini combo from their website - not sure if it still works: A1M-NY-10

(Edit, the offer may have ended yesterday but see if you can still get it to work)

Last edited:
You're welcome!

My only caveat is if you think you're going to need/want an AMS Lite in the future, then you might as well pick up the combo package as there's a built in $89 discount and will cost you more if you decide that you want an AMS later on and buy it separately. You can always run it with just the spool holder and see how it works and leave the AMS Lite in a closet until you need/want it.

Personally I use the AMS for ease of swapping between different colors on different prints, I don't really do multicolor prints as they take so much longer and generate so much poop - an old geezer like me just can't bear to waste filament like that.

Also, Bambu Lab had a discount code for either an A1 Mini or A1 Mini combo from their website - not sure if it still works: A1M-NY-10

(Edit, the offer may have ended yesterday but see if you can still get it to work)

Unreal - you saved me another $50 bucks (I went with your recommendation - between the coupon the the bundle discount, the AMS was only ~$50, let say... who says no to that?).

I will break it up as two presents - printer now, AMS later.

Bambu should give you a commission. ;)

Thank you SO MUCH!

Unreal - you saved me another $50 bucks (I went with your recommendation - between the coupon the the bundle discount, the AMS was only ~$50, let say... who says no to that?).

I will break it up as two presents - printer now, AMS later.

Bambu should give you a commission. ;)

Thank you SO MUCH!

Glad you could make the code work for you and save a few bucks!

As I mentioned previously, mine is on an old rolling oscilloscope cart so I can move it around easily:

IMG_3848.jpeg

IMG_3847.jpeg

I printed a few things for it including a poop bucket, deflector, handle (which helps prevent the cord from topping over the z-channel that some people have reported and also provides a convenient lifting point to move the printer). Follow the setup instructions on the website - they're really good although you may have to zoom in closer on the image for which heat bed screws to tighten. Your RC hex drivers are much better than the crap drivers that come with the printer. :)

As for Bambu, I'm finding that their printers just work for me. I'm coming from a couple of Ender 3's and a CR-6SE and futzing around with paper under the nozzle to get the z-offset right, trying to make an add-on BL-Touch system work, upgrading the main board to silent drivers, trying to compile a version of firmware that works with my hardware, etc.. It was never something I could consistently rely on to print without adhesion or first layer issues. These printers are really "Press go and wait for the print to finish". That being said, I'm also not a fanboi - and I'm sure there are plenty of other printers out there that work well out of the box.

Last edited:

As I mentioned previously, mine is on an old rolling oscilloscope cart so I can move it around easily:

View attachment 349946

View attachment 349947

I printed a few things for it including a poop bucket, deflector, handle (which helps prevent the cord from topping over the z-channel that some people have reported and also provides a convenient lifting point to move the printer). Follow the setup instructions on the website - they're really good although you may have to zoom in closer on the image for which heat bed screws to tighten. Your RC hex drivers are much better than the crap drivers that come with the printer. :)

As for Bambu, I'm finding that their printers just work for me. I'm coming from a couple of Ender 3's and a CR-6SE and futzing around with paper under the nozzle to get the z-offset right, trying to make an add-on BL-Touch system work, upgrading the main board to silent drivers, trying to compile a version of firmware that works with my hardware, etc.. It was never something I could consistently rely on to print without adhesion or first layer issues. These printers are really "Press go and wait for the print to finish". That being said, I'm also not a fanboi - and I'm sure there are plenty of other printers out there that work well out of the box.

Wanted to report back. Thanks for all the tips everyone! Because of you guys, I have the Bambu X1C for myself and I got the A1 mini for my niece/nephew. Everyone is thrilled!

One quick observation: I paid about 4x more for my X1C than I did for my Ender 3 S1. I've now had the chance to compare prints side by side from both machines. While the Ender 3 is amazingly capable *for the price*, the Bambu blows it out of the water. The speed alone is more than 5x faster, and we've not even begun to talk about quality, convenience, easy-of-use, etc. The people in my family are printing way more often because of the Bambu, and that alone is worth it. AMS, printing in more challenging materials, etc, is all gravy. This is an extraordinary machine.

@Engineer love the little tidbits you've printed for your A1 Mini (which I would not have bought with the great advice in this thread, and which has turned out to be awesome so far). I am going to hunt print those little mods for mine as well. Looks like you were pretty serious about poop deflection - that piece is as tall as the entire machine ;)

Wanted to report back. Thanks for all the tips everyone! Because of you guys, I have the Bambu X1C for myself and I got the A1 mini for my niece/nephew. Everyone is thrilled!

One quick observation: I paid about 4x more for my X1C than I did for my Ender 3 S1. I've now had the chance to compare prints side by side from both machines. While the Ender 3 is amazingly capable *for the price*, the Bambu blows it out of the water. The speed alone is more than 5x faster, and we've not even begun to talk about quality, convenience, easy-of-use, etc. The people in my family are printing way more often because of the Bambu, and that alone is worth it. AMS, printing in more challenging materials, etc, is all gravy. This is an extraordinary machine.

@Engineer love the little tidbits you've printed for your A1 Mini (which I would not have bought with the great advice in this thread, and which has turned out to be awesome so far). I am going to hunt print those little mods for mine as well. Looks like you were pretty serious about poop deflection - that piece is as tall as the entire machine ;)

Glad you're enjoying your printers! I think I found most of the stuff I printed for the mini on either Makerworld or Printables.

With the deflector that goes on the cutter, I really didn't need a tall poop bin (as the deflector will push the poop downward), but I think I printed that one first and, well, it is what it is :)

View attachment 349946

View attachment 349947

I found it funny I'm using the same poop bin as you. What are those pieces you have in blue?

I found it funny I'm using the same poop bin as you. What are those pieces you have in blue?

One is a poop deflector, another is a port covering for the three empty ports on that 4-in-1 adapter since I don’t have an AMS. The other two are just storage boxes. I usually have a bed scraper sitting in the bigger box.

Back