Bambu Labs A1 with AMS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Screenshot_20231207-103837.png

Oh..
I think Bambu is getting ready to fire some major salvos against their competition!!

video games battle GIF by Evil Twin Artworks

Can one of you guys who knows a lot about this printer help me out? If I have budget for a go-for-broke top of the line printer, which one should I get? The x1 with AMS? Or is some other top of the line printer coming out shortly?

Can one of you guys who knows a lot about this printer help me out? If I have budget for a go-for-broke top of the line printer, which one should I get? The x1 with AMS?

Depends on what you're trying to create and produce..

For residential production..
Bambu X1 Carbon w/ AMS
Is the current FDM King (for its Speed, Accuracy, and Multi materials) for desktop 3D printing.

There's Plenty more "high end" printers if you're looking for industrial mass production 3D ,for example >>

Ultimaker S5 Pro (& S7 Pro)

S5
1701968270363.png

S7
1701968310335.png

Or

Markforged FX20

1701968241470.png

Or is some other top of the line printer coming out shortly?

Keyword is shortly...

Like how long is your time window?
Can you wait another 6-8 months?

Alternative >>>
Phrozen ARCO
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/phrozen-arco-3d-mms-a-bambu-clone-with-ams.66977/

Last edited:
What competition?? Lmao

ALL the other Chinese companies that's ramping up their copycat production lines...

Just you wait..

There'll be a slew of them coming soon-

3DBudda
KungPawz 3D
Tea Leaf 3D
EverJade 3D
Yum yum 3D

Last edited:
Can one of you guys who knows a lot about this printer help me out? If I have budget for a go-for-broke top of the line printer, which one should I get? The x1 with AMS? Or is some other top of the line printer coming out shortly?
What are your goals with the printer? How will you use it?

X1C is probably king right now for basic filaments. It makes 3D printing easy. Its main pitfall is the lack of a heated chamber. And the build volume is not impressive for the price.

Depends on what you're trying to create and produce..

For residential production..
Bambu X1 Carbon w/ AMS
Is the current FDM King (for its Speed, Accuracy, and Multi materials) for desktop 3D printing.

There's Plenty more "high end" printers if you're looking for industrial mass production 3D ,for example >>

Ultimaker S5 Pro (& S7 Pro)

S5

S7
Or

Markforged FX20

Keyword is shortly...

Like how long is your time window?
Can you wait another 6-8 months?

Alternative >>>
Phrozen ARCO
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/phrozen-arco-3d-mms-a-bambu-clone-with-ams.66977/

What are your goals with the printer? How will you use it?

X1C is probably king right now for basic filaments. It makes 3D printing easy. Its main pitfall is the lack of a heated chamber. And the build volume is not impressive for the price.

@Tex Koder and @dure16 thanks for your replies.

I guess you guys educated me that the budget can go WAY higher than I had realized (like $10 grand!)... I have an Ender S1, to put things in perspective, and I was already viewing the Bambu X1 as the "ultra premium".

In terms of use, printing stuff for RC is high on the list, as is printing stuff for the family. The Bambu appeals to me for a few reasons:

1. multi-color - that just seems amazing and takes the appeal of the printed item to a totally different level

2. print success - I often have prints that are scheduled to run way into the night, and then of course something goes wrong mid way through, and waking up to a failed print is a major bummer. Even waking up to a PAUSED print (which I believe the bambu will do) would be far superior. In general, I don't quite have enough time to fiddle with settings to get the print to work well. Ideally, the print "just works" or, barring that, the print stops on its own. I am under the impression the bambu will do a lot better in both of these areas.

3. Speed: seems like Bambu is WAY faster than my ender S1. That's very appealing. My family would print more if it were faster.

All in all, it seems like the Bambu represents a significant step up in making 3d printing more successful for "average" consumers vs hardcore 3d enthusiasts. I fall more into the "average" category (for example, I can design very simple things in Fusion360, but nothing complex).

Thanks!

3. Speed: seems like Bambu is WAY faster than my ender S1. That's very appealing. My family would print more if it were faster.

All in all, it seems like the Bambu represents a significant step up in making 3d printing more successful for "average" consumers vs hardcore 3d enthusiasts. I fall more into the "average" category (for example, I can design very simple things in Fusion360, but nothing complex).

Thanks!

How fast are you pushing your S1?
What filament(s) type have you used with the printer?

@Tex Koder and @dure16 thanks for your replies.

I guess you guys educated me that the budget can go WAY higher than I had realized (like $10 grand!)... I have an Ender S1, to put things in perspective, and I was already viewing the Bambu X1 as the "ultra premium".

In terms of use, printing stuff for RC is high on the list, as is printing stuff for the family. The Bambu appeals to me for a few reasons:

1. multi-color - that just seems amazing and takes the appeal of the printed item to a totally different level

2. print success - I often have prints that are scheduled to run way into the night, and then of course something goes wrong mid way through, and waking up to a failed print is a major bummer. Even waking up to a PAUSED print (which I believe the bambu will do) would be far superior. In general, I don't quite have enough time to fiddle with settings to get the print to work well. Ideally, the print "just works" or, barring that, the print stops on its own. I am under the impression the bambu will do a lot better in both of these areas.

Thanks!
I completely agree on points 1 and 2 in the X1C’s favor. I haven’t used it personally but it seems like it lives up to the hype.

Regarding speed: yes the X1C is fast, but so are most core XY printers released in the last year or two.

My only concern would be your point about using it for RC stuff. Nylon and PC are the best filaments for RC, and they both love to warp without a heated enclosure. I have printed those filaments extensively in the past with a regular (non-heated) enclosure, and it was often very frustrating. I now have a heated enclosure and everything is much easier.

Here it is being reviewed..

MSRP-
$399

With AMS Combo
$559

Last edited:
Been watching review videos all morning, do I want one? Yes. Do I need one? No. Would I use it enough to justify the cost? My old Ender3 pro still meets my needs although a bit slow and finicky sometimes. Who knows? Maybe a Christmas gift to myself 🤣

Was just looking at the FAQ;
https://wiki.bambulab.com/en/a1/manual/faq

2. What Filaments can A1 Print?

A: 1. Low-temperature filaments such as PLA, PETG, TPU, and support materials for PLA and PETG (Support for PLA, PVA, HIPS, etc.).
2. Conventional high-temperature filaments such as ABS, ASA, PC, PA, PA-CF/GF, PET-CF/GF, PPA-CF/GF, etc.
Kind Reminder:
The standard nozzle is made of stainless steel. When printing filaments containing hard particles (CF, GF, etc.) such as PLA-CF/GF, PLA Glow-in-the-dark, PETG-CF/GF and PAHT-CF/GF, it is necessary to replace the nozzle with hardened steel to prevent excessive wear.
Due to the A1's open-frame design and lower chamber temperature, there is a risk of reduced interlayer strength and increased warping for large-sized models and models with high filling density when using conventional high-temperature filaments such as ABS, ASA, PC, PA, PA-CF/GF, PET-CF/GF, PPA-CF/GF, etc. on the A1. However, these high-temperature filaments can be used on the A1 to print small-sized models with low filling density. The printing results may vary depending on the filaments' dry and wet state, the characteristics of the model itself, printing parameters, and the ambient temperature.For more details, please check here.

Interesting.

Last edited:
ngl i'm annoyed AF we just bought the mini and they came out with this. I don't even think it's been 2 weeks since we've had it!! meh I will keep telling myself it's big enough for us since we do have the x1c as well. :eek:

Back