Bambu Labs A1 with AMS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you really want to print ABS, PC, nylon, etc. then yes you need a heated and filtered chamber.
I respectfully disagree.

I own the X1CC, P1SC, and A1+ with AMS Lite.

No.. the enclosed machines do not have heated chambers. There is zero need for it as I preheat my machines for about 30 minutes when printing the exotic stuff. Never, ever an issue. Adhesion is wonderful and heat creep has never affected my machines either.

Call me a fanboy, if you will, but I know what works… and what doesn’t. Bambu does.

I respectfully disagree.

No.. the enclosed machines do not have heated chambers. There is zero need for it as I preheat my machines for about 30 minutes when printing the exotic stuff. Never, ever an issue. Adhesion is wonderful and heat creep has never affected my machines either.

Call me a fanboy, if you will, but I know what works… and what doesn’t. Bambu does.
That’s fair. Need probably isn’t the best description. It’s just easier with a heated chamber.

Agree.

Many printers technically support those filaments as pointed out by @Moirae. The minimum requirement to include on a spec sheet is simply that the nozzle and heatbed can get hot enough.

However, those filaments are much more difficult to print without a heated chamber.

The Qidi X-Plus 3 has heated chamber, larger build plate, and otherwise similar specs to the X1C (except no AMS).
I dunno bro, tons of posts from people printing that stuff just fine. Apparently the chamber gets pretty damn hot even without it being heated. The only warning ive come across so far is printing really large prints in nylon could potentially warp. Everything else is 👍🏾 I'm sure a heated chamber would be even better but people are getting amazing results with the x1c and I only spent 30 mins looking at reddit 🤣

PSA -
Bambu Labs announced a "CallBack" of THEIR A1 printers ,so if you happen to currently own lease/borrow 'use' their A1 printers..
Be Aware of the electric issue(s)...

Do not tilt the printer(s) back onto the cable.

PSA -
Bambu Labs announced a "CallBack" of THEIR A1 printers ,so if you happen to currently own lease/borrow 'use' their A1 printers..
Be Aware of the electric issue(s)...

Do not tilt the printer(s) back onto the cable.

Saw the Bambu blog post and immediately checked my A1. I was pretty careful when assembling it so happily no issues to report.

IMG_3498.jpeg

Good to see they are as going as far as to replace units for people who aren’t willing/wanting to wrench on it themselves. I’m just printing the strain relief and moving on.

IMG_3501.jpeg

My Ender 3 and CR-6 SE have been gathering dust since I picked up my Bambu printers.

IMG_3500.jpeg

Saw the Bambu blog post and immediately checked my A1. I was pretty careful when assembling it so happily no issues to report.

View attachment 345314

Good to see they are as going as far as to replace units for people who aren’t willing/wanting to wrench on it themselves. I’m just printing the strain relief and moving on.

View attachment 345315

My Ender 3 and CR-6 SE have been gathering dust since I picked up my Bambu printers.

View attachment 345316
Same here for my A1👍

View attachment 345314

View attachment 345315

View attachment 345316
What’s that green/black box with a wire on your X1C?

What’s that green/black box with a wire on your X1C?

Wyze Cam v3 with a mount that indexes on the top glass button. Don’t really need it on the X1 when compared to the camera on the A1 / A1 mini but it’s nice to be able to monitor all my printers on a single page on the Wyze app. I’m contemplating moving the camera to one of those angled window mounts on the front door to leave the top free (can open it when printing PLA).

Wyze Cam v3 with a mount that indexes on the top glass button. Don’t really need it on the X1 when compared to the camera on the A1 / A1 mini but it’s nice to be able to monitor all my printers on a single page on the Wyze app. I’m contemplating moving the camera to one of those angled window mounts on the front door to leave the top free (can open it when printing PLA).

Oh that's ingenious!
So your using a home security camera to monitor your prints!!?

Sounds like a great solution.
Oh that's ingenious!
So you’re using a home security camera to monitor your prints!!?
I also use wyze cam to monitor my 3D printing.

And for fire prevention:
  • Wyze cam watching printer
  • Wyze plug powering printer
  • Battery powered smoke alarm above printer
  • Wyze app automation set to turn off power plug if camera hears a smoke alarm
(And I do the same thing for my lipo chargers)

And for fire prevention:

Very Smart.. 🍺👍

And for fire prevention:

That's a pretty cool setup. I just have smart switches on my printers but never set up an automation for alarm detection. Does it work pretty well or do you have a lot of false alarms from noise levels in the area exceeding your threshold? (I'm assuming it doesn't specifically detect an alarm noise pattern).

I looked into other options and this seemed promising although some people noted that the auto-reset was too quick and for 3D printer purposes needed to just stay off and not reset:

https://www.pioneeringtech.com/product/smart-micro/

That's a pretty cool setup. I just have smart switches on my printers but never set up an automation for alarm detection. Does it work pretty well or do you have a lot of false alarms from noise levels in the area exceeding your threshold? (I'm assuming it doesn't specifically detect an alarm noise pattern).
I believe it has only shut off power twice. Once was a real smoke alarm (from cooking in a different room) and another was a false alarm. I never figured out what caused the false alarm.

But I’ve had the setup for 2-3 years and it’s been great. My printers and lipo chargers are in an unfinished basement with all the expected noises - furnace, water heater, dehumidifier, kid toys, etc. One false alarm over the course of several years is totally worth the safety improvement IMO.

1706536264353.png

Last edited:
I believe it has only shut off power twice. Once was a real smoke alarm (from cooking in a different room) and another was a false alarm. I never figured out what caused the false alarm.

But I’ve had the setup for 2-3 years and it’s been great. My printers and lipo chargers are in an unfinished basement with all the expected noises - furnace, water heater, dehumidifier, kid toys, etc. One false alarm over the course of several years is totally worth the safety improvement IMO.

View attachment 345504

Very neat. I didn't realize that Wyze cameras had a specific fire alarm detection algorithm. I settled on Kasa for my smart plugs but just ordered some Wyze plugs to replicate the same automation. Thanks!

Thanks for all the advice Arrma friends. I bought the Bambu X1 Carbon with AMS due to the comments in this thread. I was pretty hesitant given the price (had an Ender S1 before) but wow, amazing printer, absolutely love it. Totally a game-changer.

I want to get a Bambu for my 8 yr old (extremely precocious and extremely bright) niece. She doesn't need *all* the bells and whistles, but I want her to have the Bambu ease of use. I am a little confused by the Bambu line up.

MrTitanium or others, can you give me any pointers about what to get or what the tradeoffs are further down the bambu line up? I am inclined to get the smallest printer with AMS (the Bambu Lab A1 Mini) partly because it is so incredibly cute, and that's nice for a little kid who has to keep the printer in her room. However, I want to get some tips or advice from you all on what I'm giving up if I go for that one.

Thanks!!

Thanks for all the advice Arrma friends. I bought the Bambu X1 Carbon with AMS due to the comments in this thread. I was pretty hesitant given the price (had an Ender S1 before) but wow, amazing printer, absolutely love it. Totally a game-changer.

I want to get a Bambu for my 8 yr old (extremely precocious and extremely bright) niece. She doesn't need *all* the bells and whistles, but I want her to have the Bambu ease of use. I am a little confused by the Bambu line up.

MrTitanium or others, can you give me any pointers about what to get or what the tradeoffs are further down the bambu line up? I am inclined to get the smallest printer with AMS (the Bambu Lab A1 Mini) partly because it is so incredibly cute, and that's nice for a little kid who has to keep the printer in her room. However, I want to get some tips or advice from you all on what I'm giving up if I go for that one.

Thanks!!

From what I understand of the Bambu Lineup:
X1E: Enterprise edition of the X1 with a heated chamber. Not sold through retail channels
X1Carbon: You've got one :)
P1S: Also a CoreXY printer but has a stainless steel nozzle instead of a hardened steel nozzle like the X1C, Steel extruder gears instead of hardened steel, the bed temperature doesn't go as high as the C1 Carbon (100 vs 120C). Basically good for everything except the exotic materials (I think you can find a breakdown on the Bambu page)
P1P: Older CoreXY that isn't enclosed
A1: bed slinger compatible with AMS Lite
A1 Mini: smaller bed slinger compatible with AMS Lite

I have an X1C, A1 and A1 Mini but I purchased my A1 mini without the AMS Lite. Just my opinion, but the AMS lite makes the whole footprint huge and if you really want the AMS, you might as well get a full size bed slinger when it comes back in stock. I have my mini on an old rolling o-scope cart right next to my computer so I can send prints and test things out without having to go over to my printer area. The only thing you're giving up is print volume. I've been able to print probably 90% of what I've wanted to on my A1 mini. Print quality is as good as the other printers when comparing PLA.

My other plan is to keep 0.4 nozzles on the X1C and A1 and try to keep a 0.2 nozzle on the A1 Mini if I wanted to print smaller things in finer detail but so far I've been using a stainless 0.4 nozzle (put a hardened steel 0.4 nozzle on the A1 and moved that nozzle over to the mini).

put a hardened steel 0.4 nozzle on the A1
Do you print basic materials with the hardened nozzle as well? Is it a hassle?

I'd like to switch my nozzle to hardened for CF/GF but I still hope to print PLA without switching nozzles.

Do you print basic materials with the hardened nozzle as well? Is it a hassle?

I'd like to switch my nozzle to hardened for CF/GF but I still hope to print PLA without switching nozzles.

From my understanding, the hardened nozzle can be used with everything, just has more resistance to wearing from luminous, carbon fiber, wood-infused, etc. filaments.

Anecdotally I don't notice any difference between my A1 (with a hardened steel nozzle) and my A1 mini (with a stainless steel nozzle) when printing PLA and both work fine.

Back