Battery fire takes 4 lives

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow man, that sucks. I’ve no experience with them, but those must be pretty big packs, right? Who knows what bargain basement e-bikes have in them?

Very Sad with what happened.

I feel like RC'ers are a lot safer and typically more educated than most of these fly by night e bike and scooter shops and obviously customers.

Most of these e-bike/scooter shops have been around awhile and are run my mom&pop owners that don't really understand the technical issues of these Lipo batteries..
Even if they did.. After a few years of running the store(s) and having seen NO major problems with the "battery packs" they more than likely begin to assume those things are "as safe" power tool batteries...
And get complacent with their (Lipo) handling and storage..

I have a buddy that is a middleman for companies that make all sorts of things. He was over in China when the Hoverboard craze started and bought a lot of 500 of them. He visited the factories and got to pick the batteries that he wanted inside them. Not a single one of his boards caught on fire. But as you know they were catching on fire all over the place. Simply put the other companies chose the cheaper batteries. And that’s all it took.

It very sad to hear this. I think most of the RC community is educated on Lipo safety. The mass public isn't Imo. Some people are used to plugging things up and letting them charge overnight. That's a bad idea for e bikes, e-scooters and such. I even keep my drones half charged. Only lipo gets fully charged the most is my phone. But it onmost of the time discharging.

Wow man, that sucks. I’ve no experience with them, but those must be pretty big packs, right? Who knows what bargain basement e-bikes have in them?
NYC Housing Authority ( The Projects) will be installing Lipo charging stations for E-Scoots and E-bikes outside the building for this reason.
In China it is illegal to bring any E transportation vehicle inside any building. Even your home or apt. Because China mfr'ing, who makes ALL Battery packs for the global market , know they are not safe and the chargers and packs are defective in many cases. Cheap poor QC stuff. Gasoline propelled ICE stuff is not even that dangerous.

NYC Housing Authority ( The Projects) will be installing Lipo charging stations for E-Scoots and E-bikes outside the building for this reason.
In China it is illegal to bring any E transportation vehicle inside any building. Even your home or apt.

It's sad that's how it has to be.

I'm getting a feeling that thefts for e-bikes and e-scooters will go Way Up over there...

Because China mfr'ing, who makes ALL Battery packs for the global market , know they are not safe and the chargers and packs are defective in many cases. Cheap poor QC stuff. Gasoline propelled ICE stuff is not even that dangerous.

It's a two double edge sword on "manufacturing Quality"...
It can be done, but are greedy companies willing to relinquish some of their ultra high profit margins that they enjoy quarter after quarter? And, at the same time are consumers willing to pay more??

There's a long list of human rights violations happening in far away countries where the production conditions are extremely poor (ie: slave labor... I don't think slaves care much about quality control when they are abused&starving.)
and other environmental violations too that allows for the super duper low investment costs for some mega corporations ,so their profit margins are sky high and thus their salaries+quarterly Bonus are Astronomical for those Executives..

I'm not trying to stir up anything political.
Nor am I taking sides. Just trying to keep deep perspective on those issues.

We keep buying Chinese goods. Because they are cheap. No regulations there when it comes to selling their goods Here. Human social and labor issues and all. They get away with all that because they deem themselves as an Underdeveloped 3rd world nation. A lie. They have a Space program, nuclear weapons and tons of money. Yet the CCP controls their populace as slaves. All while owning all the industries.
Nothing new. I doubt highly HH will bring their producion here in the states. We couldn't afford these toys anymore.
But there are other sources overseas to sub production out to. Like Taiwan and others.

We keep buying Chinese goods. Because they are cheap.
Bingo. All of our houses (and RC shelves) are filled with Chinese products because we aren’t willing to pay more for goods made elsewhere. That’s not going to change any time soon.

We simply cant afford to pay for goods made here.
Never will.
The Gov't takes 30%+ of our hard earned money for starters, we never get ahead. We work hard to enjoy life's simple pleasures.

It's sad that's how it has to be.

I'm getting a feeling that thefts for e-bikes and e-scooters will go Way Up over there...

It's a two double edge sword on "manufacturing Quality"...
It can be done, but are greedy companies willing to relinquish some of their ultra high profit margins that they enjoy quarter after quarter? And, at the same time are consumers willing to pay more??

There's a long list of human rights violations happening in far away countries where the production conditions are extremely poor (ie: slave labor... I don't think slaves care much about quality control when they are abused&starving.)
and other environmental violations too that allows for the super duper low investment costs for some mega corporations ,so their profit margins are sky high and thus their salaries+quarterly Bonus are Astronomical for those Executives..

I'm not trying to stir up anything political.
Nor am I taking sides. Just trying to keep deep perspective on those issues.
Man we were so close to getting into the E bike thing using it to get outside and exercise more but I read so many stores of people getting their bikes stolen that I noped right out of the idea. Those things are way too damn expensive to get your lock cut and bike stolen like it's nothing. Sucks too because they seem awesome.

Man we were so close to getting into the E bike thing using it to get outside and exercise more but I read so many stores of people getting their bikes stolen that I noped right out of the idea. Those things are way too damn expensive to get your lock cut and bike stolen like it's nothing. Sucks too because they seem awesome.
That’s exactly why I haven't bought a robot lawn mower 🤣

That’s exactly why I haven't bought a robot lawn mower 🤣
Stuff like that is for people who live in super rich areas where you gotta drive by the security just to get inside and everyone can sleep with their doors unlocked :eek: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Stuff like that is for people who live in super rich areas where you gotta drive by the security just to get inside and everyone can sleep with their doors unlocked :eek: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Unlike us peasents..
We would need to attach a long thick chain to such a thing to keep it "safe". 🦍

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back