Kraton Best 6S battery?? Experiences?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2c does not mean 2 amps. For example a 5000mah battery being charged at 5 amps is 1c, now charging that 5000mah battery at 10a is 2c, 15a would be 3c ect. Most lipos should have the max rated charge rate listed someplace on the pack but most are 1c or 2c. I would not advise charging a battery rated at 1c charge rate at 2c.

I have one of the 5000mah 6S Turnigy HD bricks, it fits really snug but it is really nice.
BTW do not buy Turnigy/Graphene batteries on Amazon or eBay they cost more than they do if you buy them straight from Hobbyking, plus you can use the coupon code HOBBY10KING and get 10% off your order.
Thank you so much. Nice explaintion

After reading up on it a bit, even if it's rated to be charged at 1C+, charging at a lower rate should increase the amount of cycles it provides. Also, not charging to 4.2V on each cell increases the life.

I charge a bit over 1C on most of my packs and I charge to 4.20V. My main charger is 4x10A/4x100W and the packs I charge on it are SMC 2S 7200 or 7400. I charge them at 10A. 1C would be 7.2A/7.4A, but they are safe to charge up to 2C.

After reading up on it a bit, even if it's rated to be charged at 1C+, charging at a lower rate should increase the amount of cycles it provides. Also, not charging to 4.2V on each cell increases the life.

I charge a bit over 1C on most of my packs and I charge to 4.20V. My main charger is 4x10A/4x100W and the packs I charge on it are SMC 2S 7200 or 7400. I charge them at 10A. 1C would be 7.2A/7.4A, but they are safe to charge up to 2C.
My SMC battery puffed very bad so I threw it. The good thing is they offered me a 20% off next purchase
https://www.instagram.com/raji_adel/p/Butz2n4AQY-/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=ovpf4gjwxo3f

My SMC battery puffed very bad so I threw it. The good thing is they offered me a 20% off next purchase
https://www.instagram.com/raji_adel/p/Butz2n4AQY-/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=ovpf4gjwxo3f
I had one of my 9000mah 2S packs drop a cell after 14 months of use in savage flux HP and ERBEv1.
One of my 2S 7200mah packs dropped a cell today. It was at least 2 years old with lord knows how many cycles on it.

I also bought a couple 3S 5400mah powerhobby packs last fall. One of which was a bit of a dud out of the box. Didn't run my smaller trucks as well and had a shorter run time than the other. I probably only used it 5-8 times. It dropped a cell today, or some time since November as I tried charging it and one cell was at .24V, the others were at 3.83V. I'm going to keep it somewhere safe in case the other pack drops a cell... probably best to take it apart and fully discharge/dispose of the bad cell.

I had one of my 9000mah 2S packs drop a cell after 14 months of use in savage flux HP and ERBEv1.
One of my 2S 7200mah packs dropped a cell today. It was at least 2 years old with lord knows how many cycles on it.

I also bought a couple 3S 5400mah powerhobby packs last fall. One of which was a bit of a dud out of the box. Didn't run my smaller trucks as well and had a shorter run time than the other. I probably only used it 5-8 times. It dropped a cell today, or some time since November as I tried charging it and one cell was at .24V, the others were at 3.83V. I'm going to keep it somewhere safe in case the other pack drops a cell... probably best to take it apart and fully discharge/dispose of the bad cell.
Interesting, I run mine only on Arrma Outcast. I think I changed it like 200 time or so.
I don't know what is the best option battery other than SMC?

I think when buying 4S+, it probably would be best to try and make sure they are single sells, 4S1P/6S1P vs having stacked cells to increase capacity like you find a lot in 2S/3S packs. All my SMC packs are 2S2P. Means there's 4 cells in my 2S pack with 2 pairs of cells in parallel. It just increases the potential for a bad cell to happen which will make the entire pack useless. 4S+ packs aren't cheap. So anything to lower the likelihood of having a bad cell kill the pack would be a good idea I'd think.

With the 2S packs I buy from SMC, they are $50-$60 a pack. At some point, I'll probably buy a couple 3S packs when the ones I made die. SMC has 7400mah 3S packs which are roughly $70 (shipped). They are 3S2P, means there are 6 cells in there. Might be smarter for me to go with their 5400mah 3S packs which are 3S1P for $55 a piece instead. Less weight = less strain on the vehicle anyway, which also extends run time and having 3 cells cuts the likelihood of dropping a cell by 50% over the 7400mah packs.

Looks like their 3 smaller capacity 6S packs are all 6S1P. The only one that is 6S2P is the largest 7400mah one. Odds are, you'd go with the 5400mah 6S which is 6S1P:
https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_119&product_id=467

The 6S2P 7400 is 71mm tall whereas the 6S1P 7200 is 56mm tall.

Anyway... rambling. lol!

Last edited:
I think when buying 4S+, it probably would be best to try and make sure they are single sells, 4S1P/6S1P vs having stacked cells to increase capacity like you find a lot in 2S/3S packs. All my SMC packs are 2S2P. Means there's 4 cells in my 2S pack with 2 pairs of cells in parallel. It just increases the potential for a bad cell to happen which will make the entire pack useless. 4S+ packs aren't cheap. So anything to lower the likelihood of having a bad cell kill the pack would be a good idea I'd think.

With the 2S packs I buy from SMC, they are $50-$60 a pack. At some point, I'll probably buy a couple 3S packs when the ones I made die. SMC has 7400mah 3S packs which are roughly $70 (shipped). They are 3S2P, means there are 6 cells in there. Might be smarter for me to go with their 5400mah 3S packs which are 3S1P for $55 a piece instead. Less weight = less strain on the vehicle anyway, which also extends run time and having 3 cells cuts the likelihood of dropping a cell by 50% over the 7400mah packs.

Looks like their 3 smaller capacity 6S packs are all 6S1P. The only one that is 6S2P is the largest 7400mah one. Odds are, you'd go with the 5400mah 6S which is 6S1P:
https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_119&product_id=467

Anyway... rambling. lol!

Nice add. I just know about the difference between 6S1P/6S2P.

I like the 7200mah
https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=504

Why did you chose to go with 5400mah?

Thanks man

I like the 7200mah

Thanks man
I think he chose that pack cos it's only 3 cells adding to 5400mah rather then 3 lots of 3 in parrale adding to 7400mah therefore reducing risk of 1 cell going bad and voiding the whole pack.

I may be wrong here, but i believe if you have a faulty cell in a 3s pack you can resolder them into a 2s pack but i may be wrong

I think he chose that pack cos it's only 3 cells adding to 5400mah rather then 3 lots of 3 in parrale adding to 7400mah therefore reducing risk of 1 cell going bad and voiding the whole pack.

I may be wrong here, but i believe if you have a faulty cell in a 3s pack you can resolder them into a 2s pack but i may be wrong
You can.

I like the 7200mah

Thanks man
If your talking about the powerhobby 5400's, I got them because they were short enough and thin enough to fit in all 5 of my brushless trucks. My ERBE has a thin battery tray/slot which could handle a standard 5000mah 3S long pack, but my stampede has a short tray. I was trying out the power hobby ones as my first 3S really since SMC didn't have a good one to use for all my trucks.

As it turns out, I'd likely stick with 4S in my ERBEv1 and Savage Flux HP, but I may give it a try in my outcast, if the packs I choose for my small trucks will fit in it stacked up.

I'd go with the 5400mah SMC's as they are 3S1P. The 7200's they offer are too long for my stampede and the 7400's are 3S2P. If I buy any, I'd probably get 6 of the 3S 5400 3S1P. I'd reserve 2 to use in my smaller trucks and 4 to use in my outcast. Then continue running my 2S 7400 2S2P packs in my other two big trucks.

Buying 6 @$52 is cheaper than buying 4 of the 3S 7200 3S1P's and 2 of the 3S 5400 3S1P's. Odds are, if my packs hold up, I won't be buying any this season... but you never know. The 4 2S2P 7200 packs I bought last season and I just started using the second pair recently.

When I go out to bash, I take 2 trucks. A single pack truck and a dual pack truck. My single pack trucks now run 3S, so I take 2 charged packs with me. My big trucks run on 4S, so I charge 4 2S packs for those. Then I charge them in the field as I use them up.

The one that I mentioned is 6S with 6 cells inside it ratted as 6S1P.

Yes, you are right. You can eliminate the bad cell.

Anyway... rambling. lol!
Good advice for those that don't know. I was thinking of the 6s 7400 until I seen it was 2P. So now I am buying the 5400 6S1P.

Anyone know if the SMC 7200mah 6S can be squeezed into the typhon? I know it will fit the battery tray but getting the body on might be tricky. Just want to know if anyone has tried it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back