Best sounding motor bike?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ducati's have such beautiful designs but there performance is always just a little short of the Japanese bikes.
That loud rattling dry clutch has always been an irritation too.
Yes, pretty much any current Japanese 750 will absolutely smoke my S2R-1000. But hey, it’s an air cooled twin. I do love the dry clutches though. I put a “sealed” cover on mine after running an open guard for a long time, and it has a glass window. You can still hear it, but it isn’t nearly as obnoxious and you can see it, which gets a lot of “ooohs and aaahhhhs!”
An air cooled Desmodue in the Monster or the older Supersports are very visceral bikes. I can see why it’s a love ‘em or hate ‘em bike, though. I’m on the love side.

Yes, pretty much any current Japanese 750 will absolutely smoke my S2R-1000. But hey, it’s an air cooled twin. I do love the dry clutches though. I put a “sealed” cover on mine after running an open guard for a long time, and it has a glass window. You can still hear it, but it isn’t nearly as obnoxious and you can see it, which gets a lot of “ooohs and aaahhhhs!”
An air cooled Desmodue in the Monster or the older Supersports are very visceral bikes. I can see why it’s a love ‘em or hate ‘em bike, though. I’m on the love side.

The noise is only a slight irritation because to people who don't understand.... they are thinking something is broken and rattling around :LOL:

The SV1000s I had was never as fast as my buddies GSXR, but plenty fast for me. I got tunnel vision with the throttle pinned.
I love the sound of high revving liter v-twin motors.

I ended up getting hit by teenage drivers 2 different times in the same year and decided it was time to sell.

The noise is only a slight irritation because to people who don't understand.... they are thinking something is broken and rattling around :LOL:

The SV1000s I had was never as fast as my buddies GSXR, but plenty fast for me. I got tunnel vision with the throttle pinned.
I love the sound of high revving liter v-twin motors.

I ended up getting hit by teenage drivers 2 different times in the same year and decided it was time to sell.
The SV1000 was on my short list, and I almost bought one. I also love the sound. There’s nothing like it. My Duc has a beautiful baritone howl at full boil.

The SV1000 was on my short list, and I almost bought one. I also love the sound. There’s nothing like it. My Duc has a beautiful baritone howl at full boil.
A friend got the Ducati 749 which got me turned onto v-twin powered bikes.
The Ducatti price was a bit out of reach for me at the time.

Have you ever been on an Yamaha R6? It felt like a bicycle to me. I couldn't believe how light weight it felt. My Suzuki felt very heavy in comparison.

Anything with a two-stroke triple cylinder/triple pipes. Still non-chalantly seeking a Kawasaki H1/H2 to restore.

I didnt know this bike existed. Sounds amazing.
There is something about 3 cylinder 2 strokes....

Loud clutches save lives!!! 😂
As do loud Swooooooshfffft sounds from blow-off valves 😁

Anything with a two-stroke triple cylinder/triple pipes. Still non-chalantly seeking a Kawasaki H1/H2 to restore.

a friend growing up had am early 80's KZ1000 fully built drag bike (street legal). That thing had such a unique, sick tone to it. Could hear him 1/2mi away.

Last edited:

I had a friend that owned one of those with a MR Turbo on it. That thing was sick, was faster than my piped and jetted ZX-9 back then. I climbed aboard and was holding on for dear life as that turbo spooled. Good times!

Aprilla RSV4 & BMW S1100RR shouldn't be left out of the conversation.
However, in terms of street legal bikes, all time favorite will definitely be the Desmosedici RR. I had the rare opportunity to ride one and it was a body numbing experience (partly because I was scared $hytless of something happening to the bike while aboard it). I also had an opportunity to purchase one, a few yrs after release, when the value had dipped and like every other bad decision that I've made in life, I passed on it.
Visceral sickness!

Aprilla RSV4 & BMW S1100RR shouldn't be left out of the conversation.
However, in terms of street legal bikes, all time favorite will definitely be the Desmosedici RR. I had the rare opportunity to ride one and it was a body numbing experience (partly because I was scared $hytless of something happening to the bike while aboard it). I also had an opportunity to purchase one, a few yrs after release, when the value had dipped and like every other bad decision that I've made in life, I passed on it.
Visceral sickness!
The Desmosedici is my favorite bike, period. I find it to be the most beautiful bike ever made, and it’s literally a street legal MotoGP bike. Sex on wheels. I envy you having ridden one!

The Desmosedici is my favorite bike, period. I find it to be the most beautiful bike ever made, and it’s literally a street legal MotoGP bike. Sex on wheels. I envy you having ridden one!
'to ride one' was my overstatement of the year... I merely boarded it, and rode it cautiously. Well, I did go from 30-130 mighty quick with the back tire barely gripping and front wheel 3" off the ground but then settled in and pushed it though some paces. To ride that bike, you need a true track day and half of that would be spent dialing it in. It was technically hander to manage than any other road bike that Ive ever ridden, mostly due to the torque/power delivery.
God I wish I had bought one. By the time I'm really old, that bike will be one of the most sought after special bikes ever made (think '69 Yenko) IMO

'to ride one' was my overstatement of the year... I merely boarded it, and rode it cautiously. Well, I did go from 30-130 mighty quick with the back tire barely gripping and front wheel 3" off the ground but then settled in and pushed it though some paces. To ride that bike, you need a true track day and half of that would be spent dialing it in. It was technically hander to manage than any other road bike that Ive ever ridden, mostly due to the torque/power delivery.
God I wish I had bought one. By the time I'm really old, that bike will be one of the most sought after special bikes ever made (think '69 Yenko) IMO
I don’t think you’d have to wait until you’re old. The price for those today is already stratospheric.

S2R1000 is my dream bike. Guy pulled up to the hobby shop on one, I would trade all my RCs for one of those.

Sometimes you just want to get your motor bike license for something like this😜.
The first 30sec you’re like “where the heck is this guy?” And than at 30sec it’s EARGASM.
Sounds a bit like a Mazda 787b. Which is one of the most awesome and bad azz sounding things I've ever heard.. Gran Turismo turned me on to the 787b years ago. I still haven't heard anything quite so raspy and ferocious yet.😯😬😎🤘
Also a big fan of the Yamaha R1 crossplane sound.

Sounds a bit like a Mazda 787b. Which is one of the most awesome and bad azz sounding things I've ever heard.. Gran Turismo turned me on to the 787b years ago. I still haven't heard anything quite so raspy and ferocious yet.😯😬😎🤘
Also a big fan of the Yamaha R1 crossplane sound.
Viva La Rossi!

TL 1000r.... hi compression, cams, port work and full yoshi exhaust = Harley on crack X10,000... LOL Mike

Back