Big Rock BRC + HRB 6000mah 2s Lipos Issue.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TraverseCity420

Total Arrma Fanboy
Reaction score
So I took my BRCC out this morning ran a bunch of packs thru it, 4 HRB Hard packs 2s 6000... This is where poop gets weird, The car did not go into LVC and slow down first like it does with any other batteries,,,, It just STOPED responding.. So I swapped out batteries and again.. 4 times with HRB Hardcase 6000mah 2s...So I checked volts.. THERE 3.8!!! WHAT THE fiddlestick!?

I put a traxxas in Ran it till LVC kicked in which slowed the car to a crawl then a dead stop which is NORMAL..

What happened with the HRBS is not normal they should have ran down to at least 3.4V or 3.2 I forgot what the cut off was.

Anyway Any idea what the fiddlestick?

Sometimes a lipo can dump a cell when there is a high draw causing 1 or more cell to show a low voltage. Showing low cell just long enough to stop car.This is usually a sign of old battery or cheap. I would do a balance charge and see if it charges ok. If ok I would use and keep a eye on it. If car stops and lvc kicks in stop driving and put in fresh lipo.

I balance charge them just fine, I suspect its more of an ESC issue, I pulled the esc and swapped with a higher power i'll have to run the batteries again and see if that changed anything. Will update later.

Well its gotta be the ESC.. I tested one of the 4 after charging fully and LVC cut off at 3.6V with the BLX 180.

Looks like the ESC going in for warranty repair/replace. Another poopy ESC bites the dust..

My BLX 100 cars just stop at LVC. No slowdown. My 6s slow down. Normal if you ask me.

My BLX 100 cars just stop at LVC. No slowdown. My 6s slow down. Normal if you ask me.

Not normal when it cuts at 3.8V.. And when I swapped batteries to a traxxas it slowed down first, but still cut out at 3.8v …

Its being sent in for warranty they can fix it or send me a new one but 3.8v cut off is far from normal.. The run times were too short compared to when I first got my truck same batteries and my runtimes were 4x and the LVC was 3.2V cuz I made a thread about the LVC not kicking in and my batteries were 3.4 and got told LVC was 3.2 on the brcc..

So yeah dunno how normal it is.. are you checking your batteries to make sure yers ain't cutting out too soon?

Not normal when it cuts at 3.8V.. And when I swapped batteries to a traxxas it slowed down first, but still cut out at 3.8v …

Its being sent in for warranty they can fix it or send me a new one but 3.8v cut off is far from normal.. The run times were too short compared to when I first got my truck same batteries and my runtimes were 4x and the LVC was 3.2V cuz I made a thread about the LVC not kicking in and my batteries were 3.4 and got told LVC was 3.2 on the brcc..

So yeah dunno how normal it is.. are you checking your batteries to make sure yers ain't cutting out too soon?

When my batteries hit LVC, I am usually ready for a break or I just throw another in. The only way I would notice a short run time if it was like 5 minutes. A lot of times I stop before LVC anyway. I like to time it to around 3.7 or 3.8 so storage charge takes no time at all. But to answer your question, I am not out there with a stopwatch trying to figure out if I am screwed out of 4 minutes of run time :D And I do usually check the batteries and they are around 3.7.

And I am telling you. When my ESC hits LVC on the 3s model, it just stops. Same with the Castle MMX in my Typhon. LVC and it just stops.

And I am telling you. When my ESC hits LVC on the 3s model, it just stops. Same with the Castle MMX in my Typhon. LVC and it just stops.

I ran 5 packs thru this thing in less then 40 mins.. It takes me 40 mins to walk my neighborhood.. theres no way 4 6000mah and a 5000mah traxxas are dead in less then 40 mins... So no stop watch was needed..

And when I put in the traxxas battery it hit LVC and slowed down, So either the fiddlesticking ESC is dead/dying/taking its last breath and just happened to slow to a crawl at that very moment while still reading 3.8V which is not the LVC Or I'm just crazy :D

And yes the 185 6s slows to a crawl then dies as I put that in my BRCC a few hours ago, Ran the SAME 2s pack thru the truck and guess what.. LVC at 3.6V and the truck slowed to a crawl first allowing me to at least get it back to my garage.

So maybe its normal for it to just die I don't really remember its been a few weeks prior to today that I've ran the truck and last time I did I remember the fiddlesticking battery out lasted me and when I checked it was 3.4V which I then created the my brcc didn't hit LVC thread...

anyway...……………………… Don't much matter now I'll chalk it up to a faulty ESC and mail the damn thing back and then pay the 11.99 Return shipping.. which I think is bullshit there item is defective and I have to not only pay to ship it to them but pay to have it shipped back when the item is still under warrenty but that's another thread for another rant for another time.

Ok two you say it, then I'll believe it, I'mma guess the ESC just happen to start crapping out when it slowed the truck to a crawl then.. I guess i'll wait to see what HK has to say if they can figure out whats wrong with it or they just wanna say fiddlestick it and send me a whole new one..

Thanks for the replies and help I didn't mean to argue with ya Ed :)

Ran the hard packs AGAIN today and my soft packs hrbs, The 6s esc is hitting lvc around 3.5-3.6 volts, With a .1 volt difference between 2 and 3 cells..

I'm leaning toward it was a bad ESC which reading thru the other threads the blx 100 is known to have issues.. Are arrma and traxxas getting there poop from the same Chinese manufactors cuz I seen people blowin thru there 6s vxls...

Keep in mind that the cells will gain .1 or so after they sit for a few minutes.

I programed my 3 Castle ESC's to LVC at 3.7. By the time I get them on the charger when I'm done they only take 5-10 minutes to storage charge.

Keep in mind that the cells will gain .1 or so after they sit for a few minutes.

I programed my 3 Castle ESC's to LVC at 3.7. By the time I get them on the charger when I'm done they only take 5-10 minutes to storage charge.

That's way too high for my taste, I got my castle programed to 3.2v, I got 22? lipos tho so i'll usually keep them at storage charge, Charge uhm in a day, Run them till LVC then back to storage charge. plus i have 3 ? chargers now lol I can usually have them all done in less then 1 day, Then it takes me 2-3 days to run thru them all lol

Only got thru a few packs today before I got tired of being outside I think I went a lil overboard buying lipos lol

3.2 is really low. You might want to reconsider that.

Its not low enough to damage the cell, I used to be a vaper and ran Li-ions till LVC which is 3.2 as well, Extensive research into the subject of lipo's suggest 3.2 won't harm the cell, Under 3 or closer to like 2.8 starts to damage the cells, Almost any manufactor has test results to show there cells being charged to 4.2 then discharged to well below 3.2V and no harm, perhaps a reduction in the amount of cycles your going to see from the cell, but that would be about it.

With voltage sag and the complete degradation of performance at that point, there is no way I would set my LVC to 3.2. The ESC reads total voltage and not cell voltage so it's possible to run a cell under 3 with LVC set that low. I'm not arguing I'm just giving my reasoning why I would never do it.

With voltage sag and the complete degradation of performance at that point, there is no way I would set my LVC to 3.2. The ESC reads total voltage and not cell voltage so it's possible to run a cell under 3 with LVC set that low. I'm not arguing I'm just giving my reasoning why I would never do it.

And that's your own choice I'm not here to convince anyone to change there setups :D Just stating the facts, Its safe even with voltage sags your unlikely to ever reach below 2.8 before LVC stops pulling amps.

I ran 5 packs thru this thing in less then 40 mins.. It takes me 40 mins to walk my neighborhood.. theres no way 4 6000mah and a 5000mah traxxas are dead in less then 40 mins... So no stop watch was needed..

And when I put in the traxxas battery it hit LVC and slowed down, So either the fiddlesticking ESC is dead/dying/taking its last breath and just happened to slow to a crawl at that very moment while still reading 3.8V which is not the LVC Or I'm just crazy :D

And yes the 185 6s slows to a crawl then dies as I put that in my BRCC a few hours ago, Ran the SAME 2s pack thru the truck and guess what.. LVC at 3.6V and the truck slowed to a crawl first allowing me to at least get it back to my garage.

So maybe its normal for it to just die I don't really remember its been a few weeks prior to today that I've ran the truck and last time I did I remember the fiddlesticking battery out lasted me and when I checked it was 3.4V which I then created the my brcc didn't hit LVC thread...

anyway...……………………… Don't much matter now I'll chalk it up to a faulty ESC and mail the damn thing back and then pay the 11.99 Return shipping.. which I think is bullshit there item is defective and I have to not only pay to ship it to them but pay to have it shipped back when the item is still under warrenty but that's another thread for another rant for another time.
Since when does Horizon charge return shipping?

Most of the blx line is set to 3.6, every once in a while you'll get one set to 3.8 - I dump them on ebay. I usually set my castles to 3.4, but I set my XLX's to 3.2. The power hungry things can drain batteries fast. 3.7 would barely last 10 mins. I don't worry about lipo dumping since I buy cheap batteries & C rating is a farce of an equation. All lipo batteries have safe charge & discharge lvls they will never go above. Most of my true HW ESCs are set to 3.4. I just had another blx185 go out on me today, the 4 red blinks of death. So now I only have 2 cars still running the stock blx185. I don't know if I'll replace it or not. Dealing with HH is a PITA.

HH charges the 11.99 return shipping. They always have.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back