Building a beast... best X-Maxx electronics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjl5590

Reaction score
Hello X-Maxx owners,

I am seriously considering buying an X-Maxx. Been keeping my eye out for a rolling chassis but they seem hard to come by, so have accepted the fact that I may just have to buy new and sell the stock esc & motor.

I'd like to put in a power setup that would allow for at least 60mph reliably (on road), with no stress or heat issues. In the past I have a Revo 3.3 with a .32 engine, then had an Xray 808 with a Nova .28, and now at the moment I've got an Arrma Talion with a TP40107... I have a habit of trying to fit in the biggest powerplant I can.

Going by the research that I've done, it seems the Hobbywing Max5 & Hobbywing 56113 is a very popular option. However, most of the speeds recorded on youtube seem to average 55mph, which is only 5mph quicker than stock. Another popular option is the Castle MMX8 & Castle 2028. Trouble is, I don't really want to spend upwards of £300 on a new power system, and also don't want to be shattering gears and spurs every time I drive it!!

I've compiled a list of possible esc & motor options, if anyone has experience with any of these in an X-Maxx, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts...

Esc:

- Hobbywing Max5
- Castle XLX
- Castle XLX2
- Castle Monster Mamba X 8s

Motor:

- Hobbywing 56113
- Leopard 58113
- Castle 2028
- SSS 56114
- SSS 56123
- Surpass Hobby Rocket/HobbyStar 56112
- Surpass Hobby Rocket/HobbyStar 70120

Thanks for any advice

FWIW , a stock Xmaxx actually is only around 42-43 mph, with the included 46t spur , 46 ish , not even close to 50 . I put the ESC / motor out of my K8S , 1250kv along with a 23t pinion and got 50mph .

I was able to hit 72.5 mph with the Max5 ESC and a Leopard 5892 (1340kv)
A castle ESC would push it faster, but tires were at their limits already... Max5 is a proven great basher ESC.
Hey dude, I've seen your video and it was an inspiration. Just curious, why did you choose that particular motor over the larger Leopard, or the larger Hobbywing etc?

Hey dude, I've seen your video and it was an inspiration. Just curious, why did you choose that particular motor over the larger Leopard, or the larger Hobbywing etc?
Truth be told I bought it with that motor and ESC.
The higher KV and extra RPMs will help. If you have goals of going faster than that speed you will need the XLX2 esc, the MAX5 was amperage limiting at that point...

If I was going to build a X-Maxx for speed I would probably go with an XLX2 and TP 5660 1450 kv.

I’m super happy with a Max6 and the 1600Kv (6s XMaxx) motor. I’m running 18/50 gears and it’s probably right at 50mph.

I like the fact that I don’t have to buy a special motor mount and all the stock cooling fans and heat sinks fit.

I bash mine pretty hard and can’t see need for much more speed. Full throttle is rarely ever reached as it pulls up wheelies at full speed

I built one just like that max 5 and hobbywing 56113. Also built another one using a castle 2028 and monster X 8s. The castle powered xmaxx is far superior.

After doing days worth of research I have come to the conclusion if you want it to be every reliable all you have to do is the max 5 esc. They are very limited by the esc. I see that people that put monster systems in them start to have drivetrain issues. A max 5 and the right gearing and better motor fans as stock don't work well. And 60 mph is easily accessible

I never had any drivetrain issues with mine. But the extra weight doesn’t help. Something about doing a standing backflip with a xmaxx that’s fun. Both of mine handle a lot like a 6s notorious. Lol. It’s fun for a while.

Truth be told I bought it with that motor and ESC.
The higher KV and extra RPMs will help. If you have goals of going faster than that speed you will need the XLX2 esc, the MAX5 was amperage limiting at that point...

If I was going to build a X-Maxx for speed I would probably go with an XLX2 and TP 5660 1450 kv.
Hey @LibertyMKiii !

I’m looking at this combo for my xmaxx. What mounting system and gearing are you running?

Thank you!

Hey @LibertyMKiii !

I’m looking at this combo for my xmaxx. What mounting system and gearing are you running?

Thank you!
The products I used at that time are from a company that closed and no longer sells parts.
I have not owned an XMaxx now for 3-4 years.

Back