Building a wooden ramp - opinions needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going with a 27" high 45 degree ramp mainly because I found a good build video. I'm another video I watched a guy used a rod to trace the curve and I liked that better than freehanding it. What do you guys think of this curve? Too much or not enough? Or good to go?

View attachment 38831
I'd say that looks just right bro.

20190520_160420.jpg
20190520_160429.jpg

Looks sweet so far bro!? Yeah as long as you have a nice run up and not too steep, you should get a good launch without it slamming the lip and throwing the truck sideways in the air or into a front flip. I thought about doing that but I have to be able to transport it to my bash areas and the ramp I would build would weigh a ton! :ROFLMAO:I'm actually looking into working with a manufacturer to have some plastic ramps made to my specs. Can't buy the darn things anymore and the kicker ramps are junk. Anyway, Can't wait to see the finished product!

@RC DUDE81 Is this something you'll design to offer to the public?

I added a 1x1 right here to support the top lip.

Last edited:
There no way I can bend this 1/2 inch plywood. Holy crap. Did you use 1/2 inch for the surface?

There no way I can bend this 1/2 inch plywood. Holy crap. Did you use 1/2 inch for the surface?
I used 1/4" overlay plywood and started at the bottom working up. 1/2" is a female dog, even with big muscles.
Maybe with steam or boiling water?
This will make the plywood delam like leaving it out in the rain...

Looking good Ed.... ?
I used 1/4" overlay plywood and started at the bottom working up. 1/2" is a female dog, even with big muscles.

This will make the plywood delam like leaving it out in the rain...
If you use 1/4 inch plywood and not particle board . Just wet it with a bug sprayer on the back ... It won’t hurt it a bit. I’d use 2 layers to get it at least 1/2 thickness over all.

Last edited:
They make flexible 1/2" but it is made of MDF which means not reliable for outside...
I just grabbed 1/4 birch plywood. And it's getting rained on as I'm driving home. Should be easy to bend, LOL.
You shouldn't post and drive... ?

I'm going with a 27" high 45 degree ramp mainly because I found a good build video. I'm another video I watched a guy used a rod to trace the curve and I liked that better than freehanding it. What do you guys think of this curve? Too much or not enough? Or good to go?

View attachment 38831
I wish I could help you my friend but you know me, the first thing that came to mind might have perturbed you and in all seriousness, my picking on you just shows I like you. No.........Not like that.:p

This stuff is not cheap but you can coat a piece of any wood with it, bury it and your grandchildren can dig it up after you are long gone and it will look as good as new.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Wolman-5-gal-CopperCoat-Green-Below-Ground-Wood-Preservative-1902A/204746309

It covers really well and a quart of this should do much more than one ramp.
We're using it on a project that we'll load on YT and we're making short videos as we go along.

Last edited:
You can curve 1/2” plywood but the it has to be in a certain direction one way is a lot more flexible than the other way

@bicketybam looks like an interesting project. I love working with wood.

Once its complete have you considered spraying it with that "Linex" stuff?
Can't find it here in the UK but I've seen it on YouTube with other people using it.
Believe it is used for lining truck beds etc. Sprays on like paint and provides a tough, waterproof layer all over.

No idea on the cost of it but just a thought. ;)

I'm going with this until I start punching holes in it.
20190520_181209.jpg
20190520_181228.jpg

Old card table and 1/4"hdpe. 1/5 scale proof pics doesn't really show angle
Easily portable
You say 1/5 scale proof but it looks like my SRR would flatten it ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back