Can I plug batteries with different mah in my Kraton V4?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lapinponpin

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Hi,
I have 2 Voltz 3s batteries with 3600 mah and just bought 2 Voltz 3s batteries with 5000mah.
I expected to be able to fit the 2 5000mah together in my Kraton but they are too high unfortunately.
Can I combine a 3600mah and a 5000mah together without damaging the batteries or the Kraton electronics?
Thanks!

Hi,
I have 2 Voltz 3s batteries with 3600 mah and just bought 2 Voltz 3s batteries with 5000mah.
I expected to be able to fit the 2 5000mah together in my Kraton but they are too high unfortunately.
Can I combine a 3600mah and a 5000mah together without damaging the batteries or the Kraton electronics?
Thanks!
Short answear is no

current draw would be different and at best you end up destroying one of your batteries from over discharge.

In my 6s I run pairs of 3s batteries and I always keep the same pairs together and don't mix and match. This ensures if nothing else that the number of cycles are consistent across my batteries

Short answear is no
This^

Long answer when running batteries in series both batteries must be the same age, same capacity, same c rate and from the same manufacturer.

The reason why the batteries need to be the same age is because as the battery cycles and over time the capacity(ability to hold a charge) of the battery diminishes. So mixing a brand new battery with one that you have had for 6 months with 100 cycles on it is just going to be a sad death for the old battery as it will not be able to keep up with the power output of the newer battery because as @Lazy Bushman stated with different capacities come different amp rates that each battery is capable of delivering. Same thing for C rate applies just each battery will have different capabilities as far as power output.

And you never want to mix batteries from different manufacturers because C rates are a made up number(this is an entire thread by itself) and a 50c battery from company A will have a different true C rating than a 50c battery from company b.

Thanks a lot for your answer.
Do you know how to remove the cap (if feasible) for the battery slot, so that I can have the 2 batteries fit? Or to move it higher?
Yeah it’s not too hard to remove, not sure if you have a v3 or v4 Kraton. There is a little notch on the sliding battery holder ,see picture below, just push the sliding battery holder in and it should slide up with no issue. I would suggest to add an extra Velcro strap if you plan on removing the sliding holder in order to fit your batteries.

Attachments

• 69888983-2AE0-4054-BD0D-E715C3B86361.jpeg
    69888983-2AE0-4054-BD0D-E715C3B86361.jpeg
    268.5 KB · Views: 45
  • ED1DFCCE-822A-4336-A141-AC0B4CF42FEC.jpeg
    ED1DFCCE-822A-4336-A141-AC0B4CF42FEC.jpeg
    228.5 KB · Views: 40
Yeah it’s not too hard to remove, not sure if you have a v3 or v4 Kraton. There is a little notch on the sliding battery holder ,see picture below, just push the sliding battery holder in and it should slide up with no issue. I would suggest to add an extra Velcro strap if you plan on removing the sliding holder in order to fit your batteries.
The extra velcro is not needed, I have been running my Outcast without the holder for a while now and have not had a single issue.

current draw would be different and at best you end up destroying one of your batteries from over discharge.

In my 6s I run pairs of 3s batteries and I always keep the same pairs together and don't mix and match. This ensures if nothing else that the number of cycles are consistent across my batteries
I do the same and I also alternate which of each pair is plugged into which esc plug. I have them all labeled with the date of purchase and a letter so I can keep them in pairs and alternate which plugs in.

Got it! I eventually managed to remove it without unscrewing anything and I use the laces to hold the batteries. Thanks a lot for your help!
Was going to say something about it...but glad you figured it out.
I remember just pulling up on it and it came right out. That piece really got in the way for my modified wiring having the battery leads come to the front of the car instead of towards the back of the car.

I’ve used 2 different batteries for about a year. I bought them about a month apart both are gensacearespammers 3s one is 5300mah 45c and the other is 5000mah 50c. They still work great but just use them in my stampede and now only use 6s packs

It would seem to me that if the batteries were uneven then voltage would balance out once the were plugged in series together.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back